• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today I resigned from the VCDL. I am still a member of the NRA

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
This is relevant to Open Carry in Virginia because our rights are under attack and we do not have a unified message. I enclosed my membership card in with the envelope that I sent my resignation letter. I was also quickly removed from the VCDL group facebook page for posting this.

My resignation letter:

To whom it may concern:

I resign my membership from the Virginia Citizens Defense League effective immediately. My membership # is 108600. Please take my name off of any roster associated with the VCDL. The organization has become by my estimation a lunatic fringe.

I had stopped participating in Lobby Day because of those that carry unholstered, slung AR-type pistols around the General Assembly office building, however I still made a small monetary donation for the Couric lawsuit and remained a member. After seeing the video where Phillip Van Cleeve is feeding “puppy pistol” by inserting a magazine into his “tummy” I’m extremely embarrassed. After reading the comments in VCDL groups on facebook, I am convinced that many VCDL members are sociopaths.

I have never had a problem with PVC, but a how-to video to teach young children how to shoot a bad guy even if it were in jest is in very poor taste. That being said, the narrative is that the video was not in jest and the organization that I pay dues to is advocating arming children. The fact that PVC is still VCDL President and that the Executive Membership has not acted has further cemented my position.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is relevant to Open Carry in Virginia because our rights are under attack and we do not have a unified message. I enclosed my membership card in with the envelope that I sent my resignation letter. I was also quickly removed from the VCDL group facebook page for posting this.
--sniped--
Now that will make VCDL stronger?

OC for ME

Now that will make VCDL stronger?
:eek:

Q: How is VCDL paying for the lawsuit and the appeal?

- Contributions from members and non-members alike.

- Please consider making a contribution to help hold Couric accountable and to help VCDL defend your right to defend yourself. Unfortunately, filing such a lawsuit is expensive, but VCDL simply cannot let this manipulation and intentional misrepresentation stand!

https://www.vcdl.org/
Simply priceless...

The Truth

Honestly, to defend this is to be completely detached from reality. I understand some people here have a personal relationship with PVC and I can respect that, but as a leader of a political organization this is unacceptable. VCDL cannot afford to be associated with such careless lack of thought.

scouser

VCDL must pick and choose its battles.
One doesn't need to suit everyone that says an unkind word or does a negative deed. They'd been in court all of the time if they did.

after seeing that video they should probably pick and choose their media exposure too

OC for ME

VCDL must pick and choose its battles.
One doesn't need to suit everyone that says an unkind word or does a negative deed. They'd been in court all of the time if they did.
You miss the point...intentionally?

Couric deserves VCDL's ire and resources.

VCDL walked into this latest kerfuffle eyes wide open and without any thought to possible membership reaction...now some members are voting with their feet...so to speak. Defending the indefensible is not a wise use of resources.

gutshot II

My resignation letter:

To whom it may concern:

I resign my membership from the Virginia Citizens Defense League effective immediately. My membership # is 108600. Please take my name off of any roster associated with the VCDL. The organization has become by my estimation a lunatic fringe.

I had stopped participating in Lobby Day because of those that carry unholstered, slung AR-type pistols around the General Assembly office building, however I still made a small monetary donation for the Couric lawsuit and remained a member. After seeing the video where Phillip Van Cleeve is feeding “puppy pistol” by inserting a magazine into his “tummy” I’m extremely embarrassed. After reading the comments in VCDL groups on facebook, I am convinced that many VCDL members are sociopaths.

I have never had a problem with PVC, but a how-to video to teach young children how to shoot a bad guy even if it were in jest is in very poor taste. That being said, the narrative is that the video was not in jest and the organization that I pay dues to is advocating arming children. The fact that PVC is still VCDL President and that the Executive Membership has not acted has further cemented my position.

If you resigned your membership due to a video that you considered so bad that you could not remain as a member of the organization, why did you not provide a link to the video so we could all see the reason for your disatisfaction? If I thought it was that bad, I'd want everyone to see it.

WalkingWolf

Have not watched the video, don't intend to. How about the cliff notes version?

If it has to do with teaching children firearms safety, and children leaning to shoot it is something that was normal in my youth. Would I have used a handgun to save my family at that age? Would you let them die? PVC from what I understand was duped, that is a shame, but let's not go looking for a rope, and a tree. Lesson to learn is never trust the media.

[video=youtube;ixJ2rtOpJc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJ2rtOpJc4[/video]

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You really should watch. It is nothing at all like teaching firearm safety to kids, it's nothing short of an embarrassment. An embarrassment to firearm owners that we can be portrayed in that manner, and an embarrassment to PVC that he allowed it to happen to him.

Grapeshot, as far as me laboring a point, I'll make this one point.

If I, or TDubya, or any other one of us were to have made this video, what would PVC be saying about us?

I looked at the VCDL email that came out several months ago where we were told to expect this. PVC said that he was played, but that he also played the guy back. FBrinson posted the video, can someone please tell me the minute and seconds displayed on the clip's time counter when that "playing back" occurred. It might be that my English brain completely missed it, so I'll wait patiently, but without holding my breath.

--quote edited/deleted by Moderator--

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkingWolf

[video=youtube;mNWr9eF2Huk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWr9eF2Huk[/video]

Shame Roy is not around so we could lynch him?

WalkingWolf

[video=youtube;reeWHLqedIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reeWHLqedIw&bpctr=1531782574[/video]

A question, how many school shootings took place during this time period?

Last edited:

scooter348

This is a spoof, nothing more, and this clown decided to highlight guns and gun owners as his first show. All you folks calling for the head of PVC need to chill out. Did PVC make a mistake by going through with this? Probably. Does this mean we should demonize VCDL and all that is PVC? Absolutely not. Quitting, taking your toys, and going home is exactly what the Antis want you to do. Voice your displeasure with what PVC participated did, but don't lessen the VCDL by quitting. And I'll remind all of you about this: PVC has been a tireless advocate for gun owners and the VCDL for a long time. If you want him to step down, which one of you who thinks he/she can do a better job will volunteer to fill those proverbial shoes?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps some need to be reminded that it is a violation of Forum Rules to bash another Gun Right organization.

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.