• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA campus firearm laws

Don Barnett

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
451
Location
, ,
imported post

See the opinion of the Virginia Attorney General of 2006 at this link:

http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf

In part, the opinion says this:

[align=left]It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law. The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed under law. A board of visitors has responsibility for the protection of the students enrolled at their university. At the same time, the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States[suP]14 and by Article I, § 13, of the Constitution of Virginia,15 which protect all citizens, may not be summarily dismissed for transient reasons. [/align]
In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits.


[/suP]
 

eye95

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
13,525
Location
Fairborn, Ohio, USA
imported post

It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law.
So they can regulate or prohibit firearms for a variety of reasons (theoretically not permitted by law) or under any circumstances permitted by law? That's how it appears to read.
 

Don Barnett

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
451
Location
, ,
imported post

Kind of "fuzzy"; just like not carrying in a Church during a service without "good and sufficient reason".

I OC'ed at Virginia Tech in April during an "International Fest", while I was in Blacksburg visiting my son. Not even a raised eyebrow from anybody including the Campus Police Security Patrols.

I would image that the University would have to make a proclamation each and every time someone held an event.
 

t33j

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
1,384
Location
King George, VA
imported post

SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
What are the firearm laws as they relate to possession on a college campus in Virginia?
Not illegal.

Students in all but one (Blue Ridge Community College) of Virginia's Universities are prohibited by student policy from carrying on their own campi.


As an aside, I was having a discussion with a lawyer recently and he thought that the Board of Visitors of Virginia's public Universities are authorities as mentioned here:


http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
 

SecondAmendmentStudents

Regular Member
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
75
Location
, ,
imported post

I'm from Utah (with a Utah CFP), not a student at GMU, but will be attending an "event" at GMU in the near future. Sounds like I won't face any criminal sanctions if I choose to CC, but I could be un-invited from the event if I'm "found out". Does that about sum it up?
 

t33j

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
1,384
Location
King George, VA
imported post

Graduation?? No. I remember reading reports of people OCing at graduation ceremonies (VTech) without issue.

Sporting event?? Probably.

We've been wanting a civil suit to come out on this issue anyway, so if you've got some cash you're willing to put up, we'd thank you for it. :lol:

I would OC on any campus other than my own.
 

Jay Gatz

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
52
Location
Richmond, Virginia, USA
imported post

Pretty much if you're a student/employee of the University expect to have various issues coming your way, mostly loss of job/enrollment and threats of other litigation which may be shaky, but isn't worth it to most of us to be the test case. Otherwise if you're unaffiliated with the university you may be asked to leave if they decide they don't like you carrying.
 

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

Jay Gatz wrote:
Pretty much if you're a student/employee of the University expect to have various issues coming your way, mostly loss of job/enrollment and threats of other litigation which may be shaky, but isn't worth it to most of us to be the test case. Otherwise if you're unaffiliated with the university you may be asked to leave if they decide they don't like you carrying.
What would their basis be for asking me to leave and how would that be enforced?

I ask because a new truck would look good sitting in my driveway.

Yata hey
 

eye95

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
13,525
Location
Fairborn, Ohio, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Jay Gatz wrote:
Pretty much if you're a student/employee of the University expect to have various issues coming your way, mostly loss of job/enrollment and threats of other litigation which may be shaky, but isn't worth it to most of us to be the test case. Otherwise if you're unaffiliated with the university you may be asked to leave if they decide they don't like you carrying.
What would their basis be for asking me to leave and how would that be enforced?

I ask because a new truck would look good sitting in my driveway.

Yata hey
Anyone is free to ask you to leave. Freedom of Speech. The problem arises when they try to force you to leave. How would they go about that?
 

simmonsjoe

Regular Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
1,662
Location
Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Jay Gatz wrote:
Pretty much if you're a student/employee of the University expect to have various issues coming your way, mostly loss of job/enrollment and threats of other litigation which may be shaky, but isn't worth it to most of us to be the test case. Otherwise if you're unaffiliated with the university you may be asked to leave if they decide they don't like you carrying.
What would their basis be for asking me to leave and how would that be enforced?

I ask because a new truck would look good sitting in my driveway.

Yata hey
Anyone is free to ask you to leave. Freedom of Speech. The problem arises when they try to force you to leave. How would they go about that?
They could force Grapeshot to leave for high 5,,, maybe 6 figures?
 

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Jay Gatz wrote:
Pretty much if you're a student/employee of the University expect to have various issues coming your way, mostly loss of job/enrollment and threats of other litigation which may be shaky, but isn't worth it to most of us to be the test case. Otherwise if you're unaffiliated with the university you may be asked to leave if they decide they don't like you carrying.
What would their basis be for asking me to leave and how would that be enforced?

I ask because a new truck would look good sitting in my driveway.

Yata hey
Anyone is free to ask you to leave. Freedom of Speech. The problem arises when they try to force you to leave. How would they go about that?
They could force Grapeshot to leave for high 5,,, maybe 6 figures?
Only long enough to accept delivery. :D

Yata hey
 

AbNo

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2007
Messages
3,805
Location
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
imported post

t33j wrote:
SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
What are the firearm laws as they relate to possession on a college campus in Virginia?
Not illegal.

Students in all but one (Blue Ridge Community College) of Virginia's Universities are prohibited by student policy from carrying on their own campi.
And that's the way I likes it. :)

Even if the policy handbook is a bit confusing. :uhoh:
 

aadvark

Regular Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
1,600
Location
, ,
imported post

Maybe the Virginia Supreme Court will straighten GMU out!

They should..., as Virginia Law 15.1-915 trumps Campus Policy!
 

Don Barnett

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2008
Messages
451
Location
, ,
Before the Open Carry Movement Got Started

Around 2004, before the Open Carry movement got a foothold and before people were aware of their rights, I went to my son's graduation at Virginia Tech. It was being held in the Field House.

I was carrying a SigSauer P220 and had a sports jacket to conceal it.

Upon going up to the Field House, I noticed that the Security was searching camera bags, purses and then doing a general "pat-down" of each person. I told my wife: "They're not going to let me in."

So I went to the car, disassembled the P220, put the magazines and holster under a pull-up foam pad of my camera bag, the slide and barrel in one of the zippered pouches, and the frame in the side pocket of my sports jacket.

Security looked through my bag, patted me down and wished me an enjoyable time.
 
Top