• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Moved Here


Jul 8, 2015
Huntsville, AL
I have a CWP recently issued from the state of Georgia. It's valid for 5 years -
It is, of course, legal for me to carry using it, as Alabama recognizes Georgia's Concealed Weapons Permit.

My question is, now that I'm a resident of Alabama, 'MUST' I obtain a concealed weapons permit in Alabama?
Alabama's CWP's are only valid for 1 year - My Georgia CWP is valid for 5... Since my GA CWP is still valid (for 4.5 more years) what reason would I have in obtaining one from AL?

Thank you.

Folks: I see that more than 24 of you have viewed this question - without a reply?

Why should I get an AL CWP if my GA CWP is valid and recognized in AL?
Last edited:


Regular Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia permit

Once you are a resident of Alabama you can no longer carry concealed on your Georgia permit in the state of Alabama. Alabama however is a traditional open carry state. If you wish to carry concealed you must obtain an Alabama permit.

Section 13A-11-85

Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General is authorized to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall periodically publish a list of states which recognize licenses issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75.

(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1; Act 2013-283, p. 938, §2.)
Last edited:


Regular Member
Jan 27, 2010
mt. olive, Alabama, USA
Short answer is you will need an alabama permit once you are a resident. Alabama offers 1 to 5 year permits but the fee varies from county to county but I think the highest is $20 per year. Some counties have waiting times and others don't. The longest wait time is 30 days and the shortest is 10 minutes by law.

If you want more info and are on facebook google bamacarry and join the group. Lots of good information there.


Regular Member
Feb 28, 2011
Welcome to OCDO!

None, if you're going to Open Carry :D

True if the OP plans to only OC while afoot. Carrying in a vehicle, open or concealed, requires the AL permit for AL residents.