• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OC still OK at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts?

mercutio545

The ol' ball and chain wants to drag me to the Picasso exhibit this weekend. I haven't been to the VMFA in a while, but last I heard, it falls under state preemption (a few years ago, I was asked to leave for OC, politely refused, and had no problems for the rest of the day).

I was just wondering if the rules were any different now that Picasso is on display- as in, is it similar to a gun show, where even though it's hosted at a city-owned building, you have to abide by their rules, because the space is being rented out? I know someone else who went to the exhibit, and they said and you aren't allowed to carry a pen with you. It would be pretty funny if you could carry a firearm, but not a pen!

Riverdance

confrontation

Some years ago I was confronted when three of us were actually leaving the museum after several hours - they only then noticed I was carrying and the guard actually called in the code for an "emergency." I made a big stink about it and they changed their policy, even had an article in the Times-Dispatch about it at the time.Their policy is, at least as of last four times or so I've been there, to confront anyone open carrying and ask them to leave or take it back to your car. One time they even started the conversion with "Sir, are you familiar with the code of Virginia,?" implying I might be in violation. After you decline or refuse to comply, they walk away and leave you alone. But be prepared to be followed with lots of radio traffic throughout. I don't know how often they get put to the test, but the more the better, and I haven't been there for a about a year and a half.
Let us know.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Some years ago I was confronted when three of us were actually leaving the museum after several hours - they only then noticed I was carrying and the guard actually called in the code for an "emergency." I made a big stink about it and they changed their policy, even had an article in the Times-Dispatch about it at the time.Their policy is, at least as of last four times or so I've been there, to confront anyone open carrying and ask them to leave or take it back to your car. One time they even started the conversion with "Sir, are you familiar with the code of Virginia,?" implying I might be in violation. After you decline or refuse to comply, they walk away and leave you alone. But be prepared to be followed with lots of radio traffic throughout. I don't know how often they get put to the test, but the more the better, and I haven't been there for a about a year and a half.
Let us know.

Tell you what Riverdance. Let me know the next time you go (Not on a weekend for the next few months).

I'll wire you up and video it, then we can really make a stink over it.