• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Mass??

Primus

I always said I'd try to GOAL to back an open carry BBQ or something but I'm sure you could get enough people together if you put out notices at club and ranges. There needs to be some OC events in MA. The Staties seem to be the only ones (usually) that are aware that OC is legal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I've been a goal member a and have attended several instructor courses with them. They are good people.

Even in goal classes never really heard OC come up.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thundar

Personally, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the OC thing. Would you really wan to OC in Fall River or Brockton? Why? I always carry in every city, but you'd never know it. Just don't see the tactical advantage to OC. I get the "statement" it makes, but I don't carry to make a "statement", I carry for protection.

Open carry in Brockton? Hell yes. My family was originally from there. My aunt and a cousin still live there. Open carry wouldn't fix the crime problem, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Primus

Open carry in Brockton? Hell yes. My family was originally from there. My aunt and a cousin still live there. Open carry wouldn't fix the crime problem, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Lol possibly. Ever make it to the Brockton fair? Bring a vest and extra ammo.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

treborx

Will be glad to report recently had inservice and during Legal Update guess what came up.... Open Carry.

Several of the officers had no idea that it was legal. There was a discussion of it and we were given material to back this up.
Now that thousands of police officers have been shown this document, no chief is going to be successful pulling your permit. If they try, you just ask for a meeting and bring this training document. If they pull your permit after that, you go to court, and the judge will go with the document. I feel that OC is now good to go in MA - at least in the way that it is legal for women to be topless in NYC.

HT3

This is my first post on this forum and I am very excited about the idea of open carry in Mass. We as gun owners in this state have lived in fear of being outed for too long and although I prefer to conceal carry open carry would be welcomed by me. I have always thought that if someone noticed me printing that I would be arrested and lose my license.
I would be interested in an open carry event. I live in far western mass.

abomb60

I shared this information with he moderators of this site last year but figured i'd share again. Nowhere in MGL's is open carry banned provided you meet the licensing requirements as set forth. There was a case in last years MPTC (Municipal Police Training Committee) in-service that stated:

“Open Carry” allows Class A LTC holders to carry exposed and loaded in public barring any local restriction on the permit. “Open carry” allows Class B LTC holders to carry exposed and loaded non-large capacity weapons in public unless there is a local restriction on the permit. M.G.L. c.140 s 131C restricts class B holders from carrying in a vehicle unless the weapon is secured and unloaded.

Also Massachusetts has case law (FRB vs Simkin) that states "causing alarm to others by legally carrying a firearm is meritless and will not make someone unsuitable for a LTC nor can it be used as a reason for revocation".

So i'll leave you with that. I don't recommend open carry in the Commonwealth but legally you should be covered by MGL and case law. However I am not a lawyer so YMMV.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I shared this information with he moderators of this site last year but figured i'd share again. --snipped--
Are you indicating that you have previously registered on OCDO?

I don't recall any communication from you, but if so I don't understand why you would not post under your original registration/screen name.

NoVaJohn

Even in Massachusetts, 1 in 3 people are conservative. That's just not enough to win many elections.

Similarly, I think you may be surprised just how many supporters an OC movement in MA could have. Especially as it's support spans Americans from different views and different political parties.

3 years ago, my wife and I escaped MA. One of the first things we did with our new found freedoms was to arm ourselves and looked into some of these groups here in VA. We were amazed to discover just how many other northerners had moved here and were participated in defending the freedoms they couldn't exercise in the Northeast.

Commonly those that have experienced a lack of freedoms are the staunchest advocates for them.

Not to mention that our position has facts, reason, honesty, history, and liberty on it's side. It is the natural human position. Done correctly, you will win converts. Rapidly.

edinmass

No consealed carry sign- so I open carried!

My local Charter cable store seems to have a sign posted that has no legal justification to be posted under mass laws. Not wanting to offend or break their own rules, I open carried in the store to pay my bill. No comments or problems, and I went on my way. I hope they appreciate my effort to comply!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 188

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My local Charter cable store seems to have a sign posted that has no legal justification to be posted under mass laws. Not wanting to offend or break their own rules, I open carried in the store to pay my bill. No comments or problems, and I went on my way. I hope they appreciate my effort to comply!
There sign doesn't say "No Concealed Weapons."

It says "No Concealable Weapons." An OCd handgun is "concealable" - just sayin' :p

Last edited:

HPmatt

Haven't seen any citizen OC here in Boston today.
Did see some graves of shooting victims though. Don't think they OC'd....
0f55c4d968f4f3eea53ba05b2740a7df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LTCMA

Just an update 10/19/2016 I open carry regularly in MA with no issues. There is no statue in which you may be charged for open carrying with an LTC-A unrestricted. If you happen to "alarm" someone simply for open carrying lawfully there is nothing you can be charged for and nothing that constitutes for revocation of your ltc on the idea of "not suitable person". Check out FRB vs SIMKIN-2013, if you happen to alarm someone and the police show up, they are allowed to demand to see your LTCA to verify your license, and after that send you on your way. Cheers!

HPmatt

Woman dies after stabbing at Winchester Public Library - (MA, not VA)

Don’t visit libraries very often anymore, but our Texas town’s library is in City Hall, so recently expanded Texas law allows OC there. Sorry to see a young lady was stabbed to death by a local mental case - neighbors were too scared to do anything about. Suppose MA and/or Winchester makes libraries GFZ, but not 10” knife free. Have New Englanders just surrendered?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-police-say/AAdQG9tamEllmNpKNIhMUN/story.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don’t visit libraries very often anymore, but our Texas town’s library is in City Hall, so recently expanded Texas law allows OC there. Sorry to see a young lady was stabbed to death by a local mental case - neighbors were too scared to do anything about. Suppose MA and/or Winchester makes libraries GFZ, but not 10” knife free. Have New Englanders just surrendered?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-police-say/AAdQG9tamEllmNpKNIhMUN/story.html

Should have had the tool on a knife watch - melted down at the first sign of aggressive motion.