• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

OC for ME

I respect your opinions and your feelings for LEO, however I see no LEO jumping in front of a bullet to save a citizen in your examples. Clearly your few examples of bravery by LEO shines a bright light on their heroics, in my humble opinion most people that I know would have performed the same heroics.. One need not wear a uniform to be a HERO..

My .02
Regards
CCJ
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-officer-hero-20151208-story.html

Given that there are not near the number of officer involved shootings when compared to every other emergency situation cops are involved in, I suspect that the good deputy represents the norm and not the very rare exception. This thread about the slow pace of issuing permits in CT I will confine my comment to the op from this point forward.

JFC

New Milford CT 47 days

It took a little under 7 weeks (47 days) in New Milford. Turned in all forms on 6/28/17 and temp permit issued today 8/4/17. No hassle or issues.

Last edited:

electrician

Yes it is. West hartford sat on my applicaiton for two weeks before sending out my prints to the state. Then after receiving the results of the background check waited another two and a half weeks to give me my temp permit.

Congratulations. Is the apparent disparity in issuing times a regional/locality thing?

AFSFCarry

Enfield PD took 5 weeks but only after I showed up to the records section and asked what the status was. The person told me all the prints came back and they would type up my temporary permit right there.

Who knows how long they were sitting on it or how long they were gonna wait to call me to tell me it was ready.

Interesting that when I was getting my fingerprints done someone came in to pickup their temp permit. I asked how long they waited and they said 3 months.

Took 10 min to get the actual pistol permit in Middletown :)

georgek

still no permit

i filed for my permit in waterbury the 4 th of may, took them almost 2 months just to check my references, called at 10 weeks to check and was rudely told that when i see it in my mailbox thats when ill now if i got approved or not.i filed an appeal at 10 weeks and have a hearing date of april 2018. hope waterbury gets their act together by than

Rdnk529

Sent in application Winsted

Sent in app on Thursday September 14. Dps cashed money orders on September 28
They are telling me 10 weeks. Hopefully I get it faster but I’m expecting to have to retake my prints. Was told by the officer doing them that one came out to light on the edges. My prints should already be in the system from meps in Massachusetts.

docchioj

Greetings everyone,

Hope everyone is well. I am new to this site, thus far I enjoyed reading through the forums, and when I found this thread, and was reading it. Discovered I am now going through the same situation. I finally got the guts at 50 years old to apply for a permit, at first I was a little nervous about the entire situation. Although, I completed the pistol training course, got all the paperwork situated, went to the Waterbury PD and had my finger prints completed on the bio-metric computer scanner on September 21, 2017. This week I received a letter from the Waterbury PD, which was sent to them by the State Troopers in Middletown stating, my finger prints were not readable and need to get them done again.

As of October 19, 2017, I went back to the Waterbury PD, and showed the letter to Forensics Detective which performs the finger printing. He was surprised I got the letter back so quickly in a months time, as I was told previously that it takes 5 to 6 months for everything to go through. Due to the fact that my finger prints were already in the computer system, he was not able to take the prints through the computer again. He had to use the small suitcase and redid my prints with the ink. He double checked everything and stated the prints looked perfect. I brought money with me just in case, and when I pulled out the money, was told I did not have to pay the $25.00 again since it is a retake. I handed the letter and the new prints to the records office and was informed they will be resubmitted. Let's see what happens from this point. Hopefully, everything goes through without further issues.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rdnk529

Sent in app on Thursday September 14. Dps cashed money orders on September 28
They are telling me 10 weeks. Hopefully I get it faster but I’m expecting to have to retake my prints. Was told by the officer doing them that one came out to light on the edges. My prints should already be in the system from meps in Massachusetts.

11 weeks to the day in Winsted

bmiller3230

Stamford--10th week and still waiting

Applied at Stamford PD 09/30/2017. Called SPBI last week and they said it would be end of December before they would get to processing my documents. I went ahead and filed an appeal just in case. I deleted my previous post where I said 11 weeks--meant to say 10 weeks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Connecticut needs a law like this one in Virginia.

If Your Application is Not Complete within 45 Days

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.
http://www.concealed-carry.net/virginia.php

Last edited:

bmiller3230

Applied at Stamford PD 09/30/2017. Called SPBI last week and they said it would be end of December before they would get to processing my documents. I went ahead and filed an appeal just in case. I deleted my previous post where I said 11 weeks--meant to say 10 weeks

Was just told by SPBI that both the state and fbi checks are done and they will be emailing Stamford PD the results today or Monday, so hopefully next week

bmiller3230

Was just told by SPBI that both the state and fbi checks are done and they will be emailing Stamford PD the results today or Monday, so hopefully next week

Hmmm... Not sure what to think. Got a call from the Captain of the Stamford PD today. No interview. He just called to say that they had not received my fingerprint results from the SPBI yet (probably prompted by the fact that I have already filed a constructive denial appeal since it has been 2 1/2 months since I applied). I happen to have called SPBI last week and they told me that all background checks--both state and federal--were completed and that they would be emailing them (not snail mail--email) to Stamford PD. I called SPBI again today and they confirmed they had emailed Stamford PD all results/documents on December 8--last week. So, Stamford PD has had the results of all background checks for almost a full week and they call to tell me they are still waiting on SPBI.... I mean, really...

otoole71

Wethersfield

Had prints done and submitted application to Wethersfield PD on September 20th.
Kept checking bank account until I finally saw the check for the fees cashed on October 17th- A whole month later...
Decided to wait for the "8 week period" and called the PD around November 20th and was told that they had been through a few different licensing officers in the PD and the one originally handling the paperwork had left...
Was then told that they just got back a batch of applications from July and August but hadnt gotten the September ones back yet but would be shortly, so I said sure I guess Ill wait some more...
Called again today December 28th- Over 3 months after submitting application and was told again that the September applications hadnt been returned. When I mentioned it had been over 3 months the clerk blamed it on the "increasing influx of applications to the state" :banghead:
Anyone else deal with Wethersfield and how long did it take? Im getting annoyed waiting around but figure Ill probably wait till after the holidays and if I dont hear anything then I should probably start the appeal?

When I did the permit class, the instructor had listed some average times for different towns around the state with some as high as 8 months to a year of waiting for their permit back from PD finally.
Just incredibly irritating that something so simple is apparently such an issue for them to get done.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

When I did the permit class, the instructor had listed some average times for different towns around the state with some as high as 8 months to a year of waiting for their permit back from PD finally.
Just incredibly irritating that something so simple is apparently such an issue for them to get done.

See post #391 this thread.

a-sto21

Greetings everyone,

Hope everyone is well. I am new to this site, thus far I enjoyed reading through the forums, and when I found this thread, and was reading it. Discovered I am now going through the same situation. I finally got the guts at 50 years old to apply for a permit, at first I was a little nervous about the entire situation. Although, I completed the pistol training course, got all the paperwork situated, went to the Waterbury PD and had my finger prints completed on the bio-metric computer scanner on September 21, 2017. This week I received a letter from the Waterbury PD, which was sent to them by the State Troopers in Middletown stating, my finger prints were not readable and need to get them done again.

As of October 19, 2017, I went back to the Waterbury PD, and showed the letter to Forensics Detective which performs the finger printing. He was surprised I got the letter back so quickly in a months time, as I was told previously that it takes 5 to 6 months for everything to go through. Due to the fact that my finger prints were already in the computer system, he was not able to take the prints through the computer again. He had to use the small suitcase and redid my prints with the ink. He double checked everything and stated the prints looked perfect. I brought money with me just in case, and when I pulled out the money, was told I did not have to pay the $25.00 again since it is a retake. I handed the letter and the new prints to the records office and was informed they will be resubmitted. Let's see what happens from this point. Hopefully, everything goes through without further issues.

Cheers.

Did you get your permit yet?

docchioj

Time to acquire permit

I went for my permit training course back on September 2, 2017. I went to hand in my paperwork and get finger printed on September 21st. Then I received a letter 2 weeks later, stating that my finger prints did not come out clear on the computer scanner and needed to go get them retaken. As I did, and the Forensic Officer did them the old school way with ink this time around.

Today is January 30, 2018. The people which wrote my reference letters were just called by the Waterbury PD for verification 2 weeks ago. Now I am awaiting for the next step to be completed. Not certain if the next step of the process consists of both the State Police and FBI or what. Although, hopefully soon I will receive my letter so I can go to Middletown and get my state permit.

Waterbury, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford take the longest to process these applications. My friends which live in other towns did not take long at all.

Best regards,

Last edited: