• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Dreamer

Life is what it is - we do not deal the cards. Have to play the ones we get. Good for finding a way for pursuing that which you enjoy.

You have earned the admiration and loyalty of many here including myself. Carry on Sir Knight.

Wow. I didn't realize I had become "famous".

Guess, I need to "up my game" now that I'm back, since I apparently have a reputation to uphold...:eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Guess, I need to "up my game" now that I'm back, since I apparently have a reputation to uphold...:eek:
We initially contacted at the Fuddrucker's SRO event in Richmond some years back.

Your contributions are always worth reading.
icon14.png

Last edited:

solus

Please do not uphold the reputation the LEs know about when they gave you the one way bus ticket out of the state to Timbuktu! :shocker:

Sh, your secret is safe out here in the netherworld of OCDO as we won’t snitch on you either & tell the Authorities you’re back ~ fair! (Wonder if there is a reward for info on his current whereabouts, hummmm, dialing 911!)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please do not uphold the reputation the LEs know about when they gave you the one way bus ticket out of the state to Timbuktu! :shocker:

Sh, your secret is safe out here in the netherworld of OCDO as we won’t snitch on you either & tell the Authorities you’re back ~ fair! (Wonder if there is a reward for info on his current whereabouts, hummmm, dialing 911!)

He is not shy - hides in plain view.

solus

Toddled over to Ashville to see what the hubbub was about at Mother Earth’s fair was about...

The event was held at the Western Fairgrounds and appeared to be well attended who visited numerous venders pushing ‘scientifically’ (?) enhanced beehives; worm casings (p00h) (red’s bud farm); non-flushing composting comodes;and disappointingly minimal self-sustaining equipment/activities, e.g., wind, sun, equipment.

While intended to remain the two days it was open, covered the venue in 4 hours so cancelled the hotel room and was home 5+ hours later.

Oh, assuring to meet OCDO’s mandate~ I carried during the event w/o anybody having a hissy fit.

solus

Well due to my scheduled itinerary to run errands in town, I opt’d out to even bring my trusty sidearm during trip(s).

Ran to my restricted property, twice actually, but running to firestone, sam’s, Salvation Army drop-off, and other establishments I felt naked as I kept seeking my sidearm on my hip.

Sigh...

solus

Delightful late afternoon in town attending a free dance recital watching local young, teen, and young adults run through their rountines, then a walk past the town’s fountain and section eight hotel to a local eatery, then another walk back to the vehicle and home.

bc.cruiser

Spoke to a Marine for a moment this morning at the Food Lion. He had a .44 Mag in a WalMart nylon holster stuffed into the back waistband. His philosophy was to 'go big or don't go at all'.

Got a bit of stinkeye from a woman who got an eyeful of my 1911 Friday night when I went past her to get a couple chairs from another room of the Cleveland Ale House. Nobody else cared or noticed. Management (owner) is gun friendly. Had a good meal and spent some good time with friends.

rogue66

Another nice OC day in NC

Took an afternoon trip with the better half to Academy Sports in Burlington and browsed around for awhile. Looked at a few guns and bought some ammo (on sale) and a few cleaning supplies.

Made our way over to Panera for an early dinner. I've never been to Panera so I had no idea what to expect. Nothing posted on the doors so we made our way inside. No problems whatsoever and not even any looks. Enjoyed the salad and will return to this location in the future.

A good afternoon.

j.clay507

Great time of OC in Greensboro

I OC at Academy in Greensboro today. I got a couple side glances in the parking lot but that's it. The employees of Academy are always friendly.

rogue66

I OC at Academy in Greensboro today. I got a couple side glances in the parking lot but that's it. The employees of Academy are always friendly.

I've had the same experience. Liking Academy more every time I visit.

bc.cruiser

Spent part of last week and the weekend in the Nashville TN area. OC'd except at mother-in-law's assisted living facility. No negative comments from anyone, including the families from CA that I spent time with (they did get quiet when they realized I was wearing a gun). A couple of retired teachers from Blowing Rock voiced their appreciation that I carried and indicated they intended to do the same.

solus

Well sir, interesting morn was had by all in this small part of rural religious Eastern NC...

we purchased the back 'lot' [irregular third of an acre tree, poison whatever, and over run by underbrush] property, deeded to us 3 plus weeks ago, but due to surveyor workload could get specifics on the lot's property boundary ascertained.

i was standing at the front of the lot, on another street, [yes of course, OC'g] awaiting the surveyor party, when a black man ran out of the adjacent house, 30 yards away, with firearm in his hand, finger on the trigger, screaming what was i doing on his land! Calmly looked at him stating it wasn't his land, no matter what he thought, but in fact he was trespassing on mine and to please leave - NOW!

Fortunately, I happened to be talking to the surveyor on the phone via ear piece, ask if he was still there and to please remain on the line and listen.

When my new neighbour heard that he stuttered and asked if someone else heard the conversation and when i said yes, and i repeated my statement he was trespassing and to leave, he did.

No less than six kind sheriff deputies in 5 vehicles, including a corporal, responded to my calm 911 call as i told them my tale of this armed conflict.

Yes grape, i forgot to turn on the phone's recorder or carry my vehicle's recorder on when confronted this morning, but it was fascinating to listen the the untruths told on how i confronted him yesterday with my pistol, and he was scared for his life this morning [instead of him calling the sheriff himself to complain about his perception of an armed trespasser on his property]

Kudos to the deputies, not one blinked, winched, twitched, or held back in a defensive position as i walked up to them with my arm extended to shake their hands.

After two groups of the 5 deputies listened to the neighbour's rant & mine, the consensus was they would disengage from this 'dispute' as they had other calls elsewhere in the county as the neighbour would not bother the survey crew or myself further.

While working with the surveyor our local mailman drove by stopped to chat, and i mention there was a spot of trouble, the mailman said be very careful because the man was mean and not trustworthy. the mailman had to leave but i will inquire further tomorrow what he meant.

3 hours later the property survey was finished and i am afraid my neighbour will be further displeased with the results as his abandoned vehicle w/four flat tires is in fact on my property and now he must move it or i will take it to salvage.

HPmatt

Well sir, interesting morn was had by all in this small part of rural religious Eastern NC...

Sounds like another boring day at the office...
Glad the 19th technology was still on the job and working for you.

solus

Life in rural religious eastern NC from an OC'g perspective is still exemplary, Loews, Verizon, IHOP/B (depending on their mood), Ace car rental, of course SAM's, Waly's World, Cabelas in Garner where two Wilmington Deputies and I stood at the knife counter and held a 45 minute conversation about life in general, Turkeyi Resturant in Cary, and of course while home within workman transitioning the house doing different projects, chatting at the mailbox with the mail person, as well as with the neighbours.

Yepper, that covers the last week's OC'g activities, no screaming into the night by any folk who have seen me carry, nada.

Overall life is good.

solus

Shameful, truly shameful...OC'g is truly becoming blase in rural, religious, Eastern NC...OC'd normal places since last post, but today OC'd into a local dealership to inquire about a used SUV style vehicle they had on their street side lot.

The owner popped his head out of his office after I stated I understand the sticker price but...then asked what was the bottom line for the vehicle of the sales rep. Before I could actually finish my sentence or the sales rep could reply the owner stated, 'well seeing you are 'packing', he proceeded to quote me a price $2.3K lower than the sticker on the vehicle, then I stated cash ok if it passes Firestone's analysis? "not a problem" the owner said.

Darn, here I was saving my hard earned $$$ for a spa not a new used vehicle, but the '96 is a bit of a hassle to easily get in/out of...so perhaps the spa will wait a bit longer. [fingers crossed the Firestone analysis doesn't reveal any hidden surprises.

yes, the owner and I chatted about OC'g, and so forth for a bit while the sales rep pouted in the corner apparently cuz he doesn't like firearms.

2a4all

Shameful, truly shameful...OC'g is truly becoming blase in rural, religious, Eastern NC...OC'd normal places since last post, but today OC'd into a local dealership to inquire about a used SUV style vehicle they had on their street side lot.

The owner popped his head out of his office after I stated I understand the sticker price but...then asked what was the bottom line for the vehicle of the sales rep. Before I could actually finish my sentence or the sales rep could reply the owner stated, 'well seeing you are 'packing', he proceeded to quote me a price $2.3K lower than the sticker on the vehicle, then I stated cash ok if it passes Firestone's analysis? "not a problem" the owner said.

Darn, here I was saving my hard earned $$$ for a spa not a new used vehicle, but the '96 is a bit of a hassle to easily get in/out of...so perhaps the spa will wait a bit longer. [fingers crossed the Firestone analysis doesn't reveal any hidden surprises.

yes, the owner and I chatted about OC'g, and so forth for a bit while the sales rep pouted in the corner apparently cuz he doesn't like firearms.
He wasn't pouting because he doesn't like guns; he was pouting because he just lost his commission to his boss.:(

solus

He wasn't pouting because he doesn't like guns; he was pouting because he just lost his commission to his boss.:(

Alas, while 114$ poorer, Firestone discerned...
1. Nine reasons for check engine light, misfire in 3 of 8 cly, O2 sensors inop, etc.
2. Waterpump leakin, basically gone.
3. Additional water leak.
4. Rear tire seal leak.
5. Ignition switch/electronic key completely hosed to the point the key won’t turn on or off.
6. New tires & front end out

Best est was 4K$

back to Sam’s for their on-sale huge spa :banana:

Oh sales personnel all commented about my OC’g and if it was OK...

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Alas, while 114$ poorer, Firestone discerned...
1. Nine reasons for check engine light, misfire in 3 of 8 cly, O2 sensors inop, etc.
2. Waterpump leakin, basically gone.
3. Additional water leak.
4. Rear tire seal leak.
5. Ignition switch/electronic key completely hosed to the point the key won’t turn on or off.
6. New tires & front end out

Best est was 4K$

back to Sam’s for their on-sale huge spa :banana:

Oh sales personnel all commented about my OC’g and if it was OK...
Well, if it is not a flood salvage you got a pretty good junker.:lol:

Firearms Iinstuctor

While $114.00 dollars poorer it was well spent.

I asked a used cars salesmen to take a car down to the local garage for inspection he said he would. and it was just fine

He told me Jack the local garage owner checked it out.

What he didn't know the garage owner was my BIL.

Jack said he never said saw the car salesmen.

Oh well no sale.