• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

galoot

63 Days In Westport

The detective in Westport was great to deal with. 63 days and $297 to exercise a Constitutional right, not so much.

countryclubjoe

Murdock v Pa. ( 1943). " States do not have the power to license or tax, a right guaranteed to the people"..

Your results may differ..

My .02
CCJ

pongoface

Middletown

Filed paperwork on 4/26/2017. Check cashed by SPBI on 5/3/2017. Was curious, so I called SPBI to see the status of my application. Was told by a very nice Employee that my application was received 5/1/2017 and that the 8 week clock starts from that date. My fingerprints and background check were still in queue and my application process has not been started on their end as of today. 05/22/2017. I have been wanting to teach my son target shooting of long guns because he is finally old enough. Figured since I need a "certificate" to buy ammo, might as well get a pistol permit.

electrician

West Hartford - 7 weeks 3 days

I submitted my application in west hartford on 5/5. two weeks later on 5/19 my prints were received by the state. four weeks and six days later on 6/22 the background check was returned to west hartford. Today 6/26 I called and was told by a detective that the permit would be ready "soon". Friday is the eight week mark, I plan to call again then and then proceed to send in my appeal.

georgek

still waiting

i put in my paperwork may 4 in waterbury the lady behind the glass said it will take 6 months

been 10 weeks now, called last week and waterbury records told me when they talk to my references then i will know its being processed. when i asked about the 8 week mandate by the state they said that it was old and then they were doing 70 permits a year now they do 700

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
been 10 weeks now, called last week and waterbury records told me when they talk to my references then i will know its being processed. when i asked about the 8 week mandate by the state they said that it was old and then they were doing 70 permits a year now they do 700

A Writ of Mandamus might be in order to compell them to follow state law.

No references required:
http://www.theday.com/article/20100130/NWS01/301309952

countryclubjoe

past week 11 waterbury pd talked to my references last sunday/monday still havent heard back yet

How are you protecting yourself and family while waiting for the petty bureaucrats to issue you your "privilege" slip?

Will said bureaucrats be held civilly or criminally responsible should you or your family be harmed because you lack proper defense tactics to defeat someone intent on doing ill will to you or your family?

These are issues we need to concern ourselves with..

Good luck!

My .02
CCJ

DarthJoe8

I live in NY and it took me exactly 17 weeks from the time they received my application, to it arriving in my mailbox.

countryclubjoe

How are you protecting yourself and family while waiting for the petty bureaucrats to issue you your "privilege" slip?

Will said bureaucrats be held civilly or criminally responsible should you or your family be harmed because you lack proper defense tactics to defeat someone intent on doing ill will to you or your family?

These are issues we need to concern ourselves with..

Good luck!

My .02
CCJ

Anyone want to attempt to answer my query.. Is the permit issuing agency responsible civilly or criminally in the event that the applicant or members of applicants family is harmed while awaiting his/her permission slip?.. Putting ones safety and family's safety in the hands of a 12$ an hour government clerk employee for the privilege of self defense for self and family seems rather foolish or more apropos "SHEEPISH"..

Government issues privileges for a price, the price you pay is your money along with surrendering your right for an issued privilege.

Murdock v Pa (1943) " States do not have the power to license or tax-- a right GUARANTEED to the people"..

When I think of honest folks waiting for their permission slip, I recall the following by Samuel Adams

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our Countrymen"..

Chains set lightly, while you wait to surrender your natural God given right, for a government issued privilege..

" The end of law is not to abolish or restrain but to preserve and enlarge freedom". John Locke

My .02
CCJ

utbagpiper

Banned
Government issues privileges for a price, the price you pay is your money along with surrendering your right for an issued privilege.

Chains set lightly, while you wait to surrender your natural God given right, for a government issued privilege..

So do you have any actual advice to provide? Nobody here likes the laws requiring government permission slips to buy or carry a gun.

So what is your point with these constant posts about "surrendering rights" and becoming a slave?

Are you encouraging violation of duly passed, judicially upheld statutes? Are you inciting lawlessness contrary to forum rules?

Do you violate statute yourself? If so, what is your grand secret to avoiding criminal penalties?

We all want to change the laws. Some of us actually work to do so having small incremental gains that have built upon each other for a couple of decades to put us in a much better spot today than we were 20 or 30 years ago. I'll happily tell you exactly how I do that. I will also assure you that the risk of criminal penalty is virtually zero because everything I do is 100% legal.

What are you doing and exactly how do you do it? And is it 100% legal? Or are you encouraging violation of law?

countryclubjoe

So do you have any actual advice to provide? Nobody here likes the laws requiring government permission slips to buy or carry a gun.

So what is your point with these constant posts about "surrendering rights" and becoming a slave?

Are you encouraging violation of duly passed, judicially upheld statutes? Are you inciting lawlessness contrary to forum rules?

Do you violate statute yourself? If so, what is your grand secret to avoiding criminal penalties?

We all want to change the laws. Some of us actually work to do so having small incremental gains that have built upon each other for a couple of decades to put us in a much better spot today than we were 20 or 30 years ago. I'll happily tell you exactly how I do that. I will also assure you that the risk of criminal penalty is virtually zero because everything I do is 100% legal.

What are you doing and exactly how do you do it? And is it 100% legal? Or are you encouraging violation of law?

Clearly Im not advocating breaking any laws or forum rules.. I ask a simple question.. To wit, is the government agency held civilly or criminally responsible in the event that the applicant or member of his/her family is harmed during the wait period for their permission slip?
Seems like a simple question..

Charles, please concern yourself with how you conduct your affairs, and please don't concern yourself with my affairs.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, I renounced all forms of permits and licensing that are required to exercise my God given rights some 30+ years ago..
Clearly I need not be specific for you are a sharp person.. I even surrendered my Federal ID number AKA social security number again 30+ years ago..

I conceal carry in NJ, open carry and conceal carry in PA and DE.--- Yes without any permission from any petty tyrants..
I live my life on my terms.. Your results may differ.. Also I don't jaywalk nor do I drink and drive or speed..

Like the chairman of board aka Francis Albert Sinatra use to say, " I do it my way"..

" Almost nothing great has ever been done in the world except by the genius and firmness of a single, combating the prejudices of the multitude" Voltaire...

I have no problem with the multitude however I am not part of that group..

Murdock v Pa ( 1943).. " States do not have the power to License or Tax a right guaranteed to the people".

My .02
CCJ

Last edited:

OC for ME

Police have a general duty to protect us, not a individualized duty to protect any one of us. I have no doubt that any given cop would certainly place himself between me and mine to protect me and mine from a criminal. I think the SCOTUS case is out of DC some time back. Barring a move to a more 2A friendly community the OP must await the outcome of the process. Sucks it does but it is what it is until the citizens of CT make a change via the ballot box.

countryclubjoe

Police have a general duty to protect us, not a individualized duty to protect any one of us. I have no doubt that any given cop would certainly place himself between me and mine to protect me and mine from a criminal. I think the SCOTUS case is out of DC some time back. Barring a move to a more 2A friendly community the OP must await the outcome of the process. Sucks it does but it is what it is until the citizens of CT make a change via the ballot box.

I respectfully disagree, no leo is jumping in from of a bullet to save a citizen.. Most due to lack of proper training are in fear of their own shadow..

They fear video recorders, they fear and kill barking dogs, they fear law abiding citizens that simply exercise their rights and they fear citizens that exercise their rights while also knowing the law... Folks of color with a gun are feared most of all..

My.02
Regards
CCJ

Last edited:

DarthJoe8

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/p...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

OC for ME

I do not know every cop, but the ones I do know are trained in the below and understand that their affirmative actions can save life and limb. They are honorable and selfless almost to a fault. They are loath to stand by when their action could make for a positive outcome. They acknowledge that their could be great risk to their life and limb and yet they will do what they can without hesitation.

https://www.policeone.com/police-jo...cops-confusion-over-the-public-duty-doctrine/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...r-saves-drowning-4-year-old-article-1.3132964
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/watch-heroic-cop-risk-life-5815950
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-police-officer-honored-cpr-save-year-boy/story?id=42917245

countryclubjoe, given the above, which I believe is the norm for cops, I do not see any respect in your reply.

countryclubjoe

I do not know every cop, but the ones I do know are trained in the below and understand that their affirmative actions can save life and limb. They are honorable and selfless almost to a fault. They are loath to stand by when their action could make for a positive outcome. They acknowledge that their could be great risk to their life and limb and yet they will do what they can without hesitation.

https://www.policeone.com/police-jo...cops-confusion-over-the-public-duty-doctrine/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...r-saves-drowning-4-year-old-article-1.3132964
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/watch-heroic-cop-risk-life-5815950
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-police-officer-honored-cpr-save-year-boy/story?id=42917245

countryclubjoe, given the above, which I believe is the norm for cops, I do not see any respect in your reply.

I respect your opinions and your feelings for LEO, however I see no LEO jumping in front of a bullet to save a citizen in your examples. Clearly your few examples of bravery by LEO shines a bright light on their heroics, in my humble opinion most people that I know would have performed the same heroics.. One need not wear a uniform to be a HERO..

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Last edited: