• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Gun Laws

hotrod

I can't seem to find this info so can someone let me know?

If I were gifted a hand gun:
Is it now Legally mine?
Do I need to register the gun or obtain any other certification or license?

When open carrying, when is the gun considered concealed?
Does the whole gun need to be displayed at all times? Or can one use an inside the waste band holster? If my winter coat were to fall over half of the exposed gun would I then be in violation of the law?

If you are gifted a handgun, it belongs to you without any additional work. There is no licensing of a handgun or any firearm in Kentucky. As far as the concealed portion of the question, that has many threads and has been discussed ad nauseum. You could look them up and read for hours. Good luck

Laws can't be written to specifically explain every possible situation. If they did nobody would be able to read them all in a lifetime. Case law has determined that if a gun is recognizable as a gun by a reasonable person under casual observation it is OC. If it is hidden and can not be identified as a gun, it is concealed. You have to figure it out from there. Do you have a concealed carry license? If not, get one as soon as you can. That will put an end to all of the uncertainty. You can still OC, just without the threat of accidentally committing a crime.

Very good explanation and what I was looking for.
I don't have a ccwl. I'm trying to get the money and time to line up so I can get it but in the mean time ill OC but as you said, for want to be in danger of committing a fellony just because my coat fell over the pistol handle because for all I knew to be considered OC 100% of the gun needed to be visable, which in my mind put out wearing a coat or being able to wear an inside the waste and holster.

Thanks!

buster04

My wife and I got transferred to KY from Florida and we both have FL CC permits and I know that KY honors FL'S cc the question I have is will we be legal to carry in KY 10 months of the year legally with our FL permits as we are required to spend two months a year in FL due to the jobs we have and our drivers license and vehicle registrations will remain in FL

poetdante

Carrying at elementary, middle, or high school is prohibited unless as specified in KRS 527.070. I noticed there was a part: "any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, USED, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution." Does this mean that you can't carry at a place (say ice rink, or public park building), that is hosting a school event (i.e after-school party, field trip, etc). What if you have kids and are going to the bowling ally as a school function, does that mean you can't legally carry there?

poetdante

Let me know how/who and I'll send a hand-written letter on parchment paper with a quill pen, with wax seal, to their office. Or just make a phone call. Or ask gutshot/members what to do since I have 0 experience with working/talking to legislators (help me change that!)

buster04

How long to get your CWP in Ky

Just sent off the paper work for my permit today how long does it usually take to receive the permit to conceal

buster04

Buster04, we don't have "permits" in Ky. We have Concealed Deadly Weapons Licenses. The statute says that the sheriff has 5 days to transmit the application to the the state police and the state police has 60 days after they receive it to approve or deny your application. Had you submitted the application on the internet, you could have gotten it in as little as two weeks. All of this information is easily accessible from KRS 237.110 or from the website of the Ky. Dept. of Criminal Justice Training at: https://docjt.ky.gov/CCDW.html.

There are a lot of people on this website with a lot of knowledge about both open carry and concealed carry. If we don't know the answer, we know where to look for it. I suggest that next time you have a question, ask before you act. We have been dealing with this stuff for years. Good luck with your license.

Gutshot thanks for the info on the statue I was asking the question to see if it really takes that long I hope the holidays cheer you up a bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gutshot thanks for the info on the statue I was asking the question to see if it really takes that long I hope the holidays cheer you up a bit.

Don't think Gutshot needs any cheering up, but you might try not reading in something that was neither said nor indicated. He was not being grumpy, merely informative. His advice is usually (always?) spot on accurate.

buster04

Don't think Gutshot needs any cheering up, but you might try not reading in something that was neither said nor indicated. He was not being grumpy, merely informative. His advice is usually (always?) spot on accurate.

Happy holidays to you also

Last edited by a moderator:

LouKYccguy

Citation

Can you cite this? I cannot find it anywhere where it says anything to the point "The claim and exercise of a Constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime"

Miller v. United States, 230 F.2d 486 (5th Cir. 1956); "The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime."

Evelyn Miller stood on her Fourth Amendment rights and refused to allow a U.S. Marshal into her home without a search warrant, federal prosecutors charged her with “obstruction of justice.” In reversing her conviction, the court noted that Miller “asserted a right which was hers, and which none could take away. That it . . . subjected the officers to the inconvenience of getting a lawful writ, neither detracts from this right nor subjects her to a crime for having asserted it.” Id. at 489-490.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Miller v. United States, 230 F.2d 486 (5th Cir. 1956); "The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime."

Evelyn Miller stood on her Fourth Amendment rights and refused to allow a U.S. Marshal into her home without a search warrant, federal prosecutors charged her with “obstruction of justice.” In reversing her conviction, the court noted that Miller “asserted a right which was hers, and which none could take away. That it . . . subjected the officers to the inconvenience of getting a lawful writ, neither detracts from this right nor subjects her to a crime for having asserted it.” Id. at 489-490.
Excellent cite. Thank you.

LouKYccguy

My wife and I got transferred to KY from Florida and we both have FL CC permits and I know that KY honors FL'S cc the question I have is will we be legal to carry in KY 10 months of the year legally with our FL permits as we are required to spend two months a year in FL due to the jobs we have and our drivers license and vehicle registrations will remain in FL

That is just not a question I can answer. However, if you are renting, your landlord is required to pay a 1% Transient Tax to the state on your rent. Yes, I am a landlord who does short term rentals and had a number of discussions with KY Revenue. It's for tourism. You are not intending on RESIDING here, as in making KY your place of residence, since you are keeping your FL drivers license, vehicle registration and I assume voter registration. It's not on you to pay, just your landlord.

Sometime i will talk about the doughnut hole sales tax EXEMPTION here in KY.

Richard

gutshot II

That is just not a question I can answer. However, if you are renting, your landlord is required to pay a 1% Transient Tax to the state on your rent. Yes, I am a landlord who does short term rentals and had a number of discussions with KY Revenue. It's for tourism. You are not intending on RESIDING here, as in making KY your place of residence, since you are keeping your FL drivers license, vehicle registration and I assume voter registration. It's not on you to pay, just your landlord.

Sometime i will talk about the doughnut hole sales tax EXEMPTION here in KY.

Richard

The question you have responded to is almost 3 years old.