• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in California National Forests--now that AB 144 is law

cekkk

Reading through this thread is frustrating, troubling and disgusting. And more. As a long time resident of truly rural Colorado Rockies where open carry was common and nearly everyone had guns, I was not surprised that California's gun laws are tough when we moved here. But I'm advised that it would take around two years to obtain a concealed carry permit here in Riverside County. That's ludicrous. And now I'm told that during that wait, I may not have a loaded handgun in my own vehicle! And this thread points to the confusion among people who hunt and regularly carry, or want to carry guns, caused by the myriad of gun laws. I got a hint of this soon after moving here when I phoned the sheriff's office with some really simple, basic questions that were answered with referrals to anyone but who I was talking to. It seems the gun shop owners are the best source of information.

While Colorado has been subjected to some anti-gun laws, it has, for the most part, maintained a reasonable respect for the 2nd Amendment. I'm now wondering where the NRA has been over the years that has seen California all but ban the legal use of guns, which is easier than banning the guns themselves.

mjones

Reading through this thread is frustrating, troubling and disgusting. And more. As a long time resident of truly rural Colorado Rockies where open carry was common and nearly everyone had guns, I was not surprised that California's gun laws are tough when we moved here. But I'm advised that it would take around two years to obtain a concealed carry permit here in Riverside County. That's ludicrous. And now I'm told that during that wait, I may not have a loaded handgun in my own vehicle! And this thread points to the confusion among people who hunt and regularly carry, or want to carry guns, caused by the myriad of gun laws. I got a hint of this soon after moving here when I phoned the sheriff's office with some really simple, basic questions that were answered with referrals to anyone but who I was talking to. It seems the gun shop owners are the best source of information.

While Colorado has been subjected to some anti-gun laws, it has, for the most part, maintained a reasonable respect for the 2nd Amendment. I'm now wondering where the NRA has been over the years that has seen California all but ban the legal use of guns, which is easier than banning the guns themselves.

Whatever you do, do NOT get advice on California Gun laws from Gun Shops, Range Masters, LEOs or even the CA DoJ. In know that's counter intuitive, but its really the best advice I can give. All of them are notoriously wrong. If you really want the correct answers, I suggest you read/ask here paying strict attention to the citations and/or have a visit to http://www.calguns.net California Gun Laws are incredibly complex - only on a solid gun forum will you be able to glean the correct answer from all the crud.

HPmatt

Hey folks - visiting CA - Fresno to be thrillingly precise, and wanted to know are pistols even legal there?
Reciprocity with Texas? Let alone OC....

Haven't seen a recent thread that includes any of the new typically crazy laws there.
non-Lead bullets, bio-diverse gunpowder, qr coded ammo with home address...
I used to fly to VA Reagan with pistols in cases, but that was pre-McAuliffe.
Cheers

mlawson

Hey folks - visiting CA - Fresno to be thrillingly precise, and wanted to know are pistols even legal there?

Haven't seen a recent thread that includes any of the new typically crazy laws there.
Cheers
I think you just commited a felony by thinking of bringing a pistol to Nazi land.

HPmatt

In Seattle, only brought Pepper Spray and a good knife, so they can find me here b4 I make it into Canada…

mjones

Cheers
Lol, yes pistols are legal there, but not so-called 'assault pistols' nor pistols with threaded barrels. No importation of magazines 10 rounds or greater.

CA doesn't have CCW reciprocity with any other state nor does it honor any other state's permit to carry.

Open Carry is only legal in unincorporated areas where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.