• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Kingfish

My first "negative" experience by some random person.

My girlfriend and I were in a Chinese Buffet. I come back to the table and girl seems a little upset. She didn't tell me until we left, but while I was getting food, a guy at the other table pointed at me and said to his buddies "Look at that dumbass open carrying!"

Hah, oh well.
Yeah, that is the worst I have ever had. Overheard "Who the hell carries a gun to Walmart."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My first "negative" experience by some random person.

My girlfriend and I were in a Chinese Buffet. I come back to the table and girl seems a little upset. She didn't tell me until we left, but while I was getting food, a guy at the other table pointed at me and said to his buddies "Look at that dumbass open carrying!"

Hah, oh well.

You do know what comes out of the mouth of an infant with indigestion, right?

And, he soiled his own diaper with such a juvenile remark.

Thensley.40

OC'd for the first time ever to walgreens in lebanon, was told you could only conceal so i left without my $35 in items.

I informed them they were wrong before just didnt feel like going thru a huge hassle for some shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, and deoderant.

Last edited:

Q-Tip

Sorry to hear you had a bad first time. Maybe an email to the manager or corporate would help solve the issue.

OCed to BassPro and Walmart, no issues.

papa bear

OC'd for the first time ever to walgreens in lebanon, was told you could only conceal so i left without my $35 in items.

I informed them they were wrong before just didnt feel like going thru a huge hassle for some shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, and deoderant.

good for you! i would follow up with contact corporate. i carry in Walgreen all the time wonder if it is a TN, store, or individual thing

SovereignAxe

good for you! i would follow up with contact corporate. i carry in Walgreen all the time wonder if it is a TN, store, or individual thing

I carried into Walgreen's today and I think I've OCed into another Walgreen's before and nobody has said anything.

But then, I couldn't say for sure if anyone has ever noticed. I've never stayed in the store for very long and the employees aren't exactly numerous.

SovereignAxe

OCed into a few new places, no problems:

Which Which on State of Franklin Rd
Northeast Community Credit Union in Elizabethton
Zaxby's on N Roan St.
Food Lion on the Bristol Hwy
Washington County courthouse (NOT to court lol. My tags were expired). I thought this was going to be my first LEO encounter, as a WCSD officer was manning a table inside the entrance, but my strong side was facing away from him the whole time, so I don't think he noticed. The place was pretty empty except for the clerks, so I don't think anyone noticed at all.

Q-Tip

OCed to Savage Gulf State Park and to a McDonalds and KFC on the way. Two LEOs were in McDonalds and didn't care or didn't notice. Likely the latter. No issues, other than being worn out after the ten-mile trek. It's gorgeous down there, and I'd highly recommend it.

ppardue1

Yesterday I met a friend for lunch at Gondolier in Lenoir City. I had been sitting there for about 20 minutes when one of the waitresses came up and said, "Are you going to rob us?"
I paused for a moment, trying to decide how I wanted to respond, "Oh, no, not today anyway."
She smiled and continued, "If you were, I was going to suggest you do it tonight, business is slow during lunch."
"Well, I figure that most criminals conceal their guns. You don't have much to worry about from me."
"You know, that's right!" She smiled real big and walked off.

I have yet to have a bad experience; I thought this might be my first. It made me feel good, though, that she felt comfortable enough to come joke about it.

Nascar24Glock

I OC'ed today at a McDonald's on Stone Drive. It wasn't an altogether out-of-the-ordinary experience, although I do think a couple of people gave me the stink eye.

gurn

I had my first comment about oc the other day at the gas pump at Sam's Club. I had oc inside Sam's after work and as usual everyone just smiled and such then at the pump a guy pumping next to me said " Wow! I didn't know roofing was so dangerous.( Roofing co.name on van) I thought you guys only used nail guns" He smiled and I got a big laugh out of it. That's about it so far after several months of oc.

Gurn

ppardue1

I was in Home Depot today. First, one of the employees came up and asked me what type of gun I had. We chatted for a few minutes about guns. I continued shopping. A couple approached me and asked, "Sir, can you tell us where the peg board is?" I responded that I didn't work for Home Depot and was not really sure where the peg board was. They walked away with a confused look. Shortly thereafter a man walked up and asked, "Sir can you tell me where to find shelving?" I began to explain, again, that I did not work for Home Depot when he looks at my gun and says, "Oh, I thought that was a price gun but it's a real gun!"

Apparently a S&W 686 looks, to the average Home Depot shopper, like a "price gun."

Thensley.40

I was in Home Depot today. First, one of the employees came up and asked me what type of gun I had. We chatted for a few minutes about guns. I continued shopping. A couple approached me and asked, "Sir, can you tell us where the peg board is?" I responded that I didn't work for Home Depot and was not really sure where the peg board was. They walked away with a confused look. Shortly thereafter a man walked up and asked, "Sir can you tell me where to find shelving?" I began to explain, again, that I did not work for Home Depot when he looks at my gun and says, "Oh, I thought that was a price gun but it's a real gun!"

Apparently a S&W 686 looks, to the average Home Depot shopper, like a "price gun."

Ive worked for Home depot for 5 years now. This is funny seeing that our price guns actually look like oversized cell phones lol. What Home depot was this? Johnson city?

SovereignAxe

OCed to two places new, one old. New was Barnes and Noble and Suntrust on Walnut St.

The old one I think I got mistaken for an LEO. It was in Blue Circle in Elizabethton and while I was checking out the clerk asked if I was "working hard?" I told him not yet, I work night shift, 230-10.

On my way out the door it dawned on me that he probably thought I was a cop on lunch break lol. Some police forces around here don't wear a "uniform" per se, and I was wearing cargo khakis, a dark red collarless polo and Ray Ban aviators-my work clothes.

SovereignAxe

I had planned to go to Mahoney's Outfitters today but didn't realize that they don't open until 1pm on Sundays. It was noon and I didn't feel like poking around town for an hour, so I saved it for another trip.

But still, I noticed a sign I'd never seen before on the front door, about 2 feet off the ground. It said that any gun brought in needed to be unloaded with the action locked back. At the very bottom of the sign it said that CCW permit holders are welcome, but the weapon must be concealed at all times :|

So not only are they apparently not OC friendly, but TN, as most of you know, doesn't have a CC license-but a permit to carry. Sigh.

papa bear

I had planned to go to Mahoney's Outfitters today but didn't realize that they don't open until 1pm on Sundays. It was noon and I didn't feel like poking around town for an hour, so I saved it for another trip.

But still, I noticed a sign I'd never seen before on the front door, about 2 feet off the ground. It said that any gun brought in needed to be unloaded with the action locked back. At the very bottom of the sign it said that CCW permit holders are welcome, but the weapon must be concealed at all times :|

So not only are they apparently not OC friendly, but TN, as most of you know, doesn't have a CC license-but a permit to carry. Sigh.

then i would give them a "NO GUN = NO $" card, and explain why