• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

HPmatt

Was passing through Knoxville omw to Middlesboro Ky a few weeks ago and stopped for lunch at the Bojangles on I40 - LEO didn't have any issues w my OC nor did anyone else at the restaurant.

independence

Picked up a friend and headed to Walmart this weekend while OCing. About 30 seconds after we got inside the door of Walmart he whips around and says, "Ohhhhhh...You're open carrying!....That's what it is... I feel like everyone is looking at me and I didn't know why. Nobody ever looks at me in Walmart so I was wondering why everybody was looking in my direction and now I understand why."

He is cool with OC so he didn't mind and mostly just thought it was funny. What I thought was interesting is that I didn't feel like everyone was looking at me at all. I guess I am starting to get used to it.

Kopis

OC'ed friday evening to sam's club in cordova TN with the wife. Dont even think anyone noticed (G19 in comptac holster), sunday, i rode to starbucks downtown memphis to meet a friend and OCed. A few people in starbucks seemed mildly concerned but i ignored it.

My buddy and i usually get harrassed by bums for money but this one guy in a wheelchair eased up and talked to us for about ten minutes about our bikes. He only had from about the ribcage up, legs and hips were totally gone. There was a memphis cop right across the street and the guy rolled over next to him, i walked across the street and gave the guy a couple bucks like 10' from the LEO while OCing, my friend watched the whole thing and said the cop looked over for a second at me then went back to texting.

independence

OC'ed friday evening to sam's club in cordova TN with the wife. Dont even think anyone noticed (G19 in comptac holster), sunday, i rode to starbucks downtown memphis to meet a friend and OCed. A few people in starbucks seemed mildly concerned but i ignored it.

My buddy and i usually get harrassed by bums for money but this one guy in a wheelchair eased up and talked to us for about ten minutes about our bikes. He only had from about the ribcage up, legs and hips were totally gone. There was a memphis cop right across the street and the guy rolled over next to him, i walked across the street and gave the guy a couple bucks like 10' from the LEO while OCing, my friend watched the whole thing and said the cop looked over for a second at me then went back to texting.

+1 for OCing in Memphis!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

+1 for OCing in Memphis!!

+1 for being squared away and helping the less fortunate.

FTG-05

I've been OC'ing while going to and from our old house in AL to our property in SW Lincoln county, TN, including but not limited to the excellent little restaurant/hole-in-the-wall/gas station at Blanche. I get some looks but by-the-by, no one seems to give a crap. Haven't run into any TN LEOs yet.

Please confirm for me: I have until 6 months after becoming a resident to get my TN CCW (which requires a stupid $60 class!!! :banghead:). Until then, I can use my UT permit, Yes/No? The next class isn't until Oct. so I'm sort of stuck until then.

Fallguy

I've been OC'ing while going to and from our old house in AL to our property in SW Lincoln county, TN, including but not limited to the excellent little restaurant/hole-in-the-wall/gas station at Blanche. I get some looks but by-the-by, no one seems to give a crap. Haven't run into any TN LEOs yet.

Please confirm for me: I have until 6 months after becoming a resident to get my TN CCW (which requires a stupid $60 class!!! :banghead:). Until then, I can use my UT permit, Yes/No? The next class isn't until Oct. so I'm sort of stuck until then.

Correct, you have 6 months after establishing residency.

pHaez

Costco in Knoxville

I went to Costco in Knoxville today. They are not posted, and I have had multiple 5+ shopping experiences there while OC'ing. Today as I was nearing the end of my shopping trip with my wife, and two daughters, I was approached by what appeared to be a manager (dressed nicer than most of the employees, and wearing a radio). He asked if I was a member of law enforcement. I told him "No sir," and he responded with "Well then, I need to ask you to secure your firearm in your vehicle." My response was "No problem sir, I will be leaving my cart with you, as we will not be spending any further money with your establishment." We then left. Surprisingly, my wife was alright with this. I thought she would be furious over the fact that we wasted an hour and a half, and then left everything there ($190 worth of groceries). So, while not posted, Costco is definitely not a friendly location for OC'ing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I went to Costco in Knoxville today. They are not posted, and I have had multiple 5+ shopping experiences there while OC'ing. Today as I was nearing the end of my shopping trip with my wife, and two daughters, I was approached by what appeared to be a manager (dressed nicer than most of the employees, and wearing a radio). He asked if I was a member of law enforcement. I told him "No sir," and he responded with "Well then, I need to ask you to secure your firearm in your vehicle." My response was "No problem sir, I will be leaving my cart with you, as we will not be spending any further money with your establishment." We then left. Surprisingly, my wife was alright with this. I thought she would be furious over the fact that we wasted an hour and a half, and then left everything there ($190 worth of groceries). So, while not posted, Costco is definitely not a friendly location for OC'ing.
Well established fact.

They will, I am told, refund your membership fee upon request.

Suckerspawn

Visited from Ohio

I just returned to Ohio after a week in Pigeon Forge. I open carried almost the entire time. I received a few of the typical stares. I had several good discussions and favorable handshakes.

Kopis

hit starbucks in midtown memphis this weekend. i think i had several annoyed glances from staff and customers. played backgammon with the wife for about an hour outside. went to A-tan hibachi after for lunch. no problem.

FTG-05

Open carried recently to a small town county fair here in TN. No one cared.

As it should be.

Was that the Lincoln County fair from a couple weeks ago? I saw that they had big "no weapons" signs at the entrances. I open carried my Becker Necker, but not my S&W 329PD.

FTG-05

Nope. Was their sign in compliance with TCA 39-17-1311?

No, it was not.

(c) (1) Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6�) high and fourteen inches (14�) wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY.

independence

OC at Huddle House

I OCed into Huddle House tonight and had a positive experience. When I first pulled up, there were a couple of employees smoking on the bench out front. One of them greeted me but I don't think they could see the gun at that point because my car door was in the way. I greeted them back and then headed inside, at which point they may or may not have seen the gun. As soon as I got in the door, a customer at the bar spotted me. As I sat on a bar stool, he said rather loudly, "Is that a pistola [sic] you've got there?" I said, "Yup" casually, as I delved into the menu. The waiter behind the bar seemed like he wasn't sure how to react but that perhaps since the reaction of the customer was okay then maybe it was okay. The customer then started to ask me about how to get a permit and we discussed everything from the 2nd Amendment to self-defense.

Just another non-event to report... Have a good weekend and stay safe, everybody!

independence

OCed to Church

Hope I'm not too spammy posting so much here, but I was hoping to spark more activity in the Tennessee sub-forum...

This past weekend, I OCed to a music program/church service at a church out in the sticks. I had a few raised eyebrows, but otherwise a non-issue. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hope I'm not too spammy posting so much here, but I was hoping to spark more activity in the Tennessee sub-forum...

This past weekend, I OCed to a music program/church service at a church out in the sticks. I had a few raised eyebrows, but otherwise a non-issue. :)

Stay involved, keep stirring the pot and get others on board
icon14.png

FTG-05

I haven't been on TGO for over a year: have they gotten any better about OC?

Even though I now live in AL, we'll (hopefully) be moving to TN in the near future (SW Lincoln County, about 6 miles from Taft). So for, while preparing for the move and watching over our new property (owner died) I haven't run into any problems while OCing my 329PD.

About the only negative is one person (my future neighboring land owner) saying that carrying my gun on my hip was "intimidating", and that I should wear it behind my back. "No, not gonna happen." He'll get over it, especially since he wants to sell me a bushhog for +$3K or so. :lol:

Fallguy

I haven't been on TGO for over a year: have they gotten any better about OC?

Even though I now live in AL, we'll (hopefully) be moving to TN in the near future (SW Lincoln County, about 6 miles from Taft). So for, while preparing for the move and watching over our new property (owner died) I haven't run into any problems while OCing my 329PD.

About the only negative is one person (my future neighboring land owner) saying that carrying my gun on my hip was "intimidating", and that I should wear it behind my back. "No, not gonna happen." He'll get over it, especially since he wants to sell me a bushhog for +$3K or so. :lol:

Eh.....

There do seem to be a few more that are more acceptable of it, but there will always be those that are against it on there.