• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Facebook Group - New Mexico Open Carry

opad

Open Carry

How is "open carry" defined? How much of the gun has to be visible? For example, is a handgun that protrudes from the pocket considered "Open carry?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How is "open carry" defined? How much of the gun has to be visible? For example, is a handgun that protrudes from the pocket considered "Open carry?"

Perhaps it is better to define what is not openly carried, which is therefore concealed.

Chapter 29 article 19 part 2 of concealed handgun carry act of 2003

Concealed handgun:
A loaded handgun that is not visible to the ordinary observations of a reasonable person.

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/docs/completeAct05.pdf

XDSTEEL

Update-Las Cruces

So I am new here in New Mexico and have been OCing a little more lately. (getting a feel for the area). I also have been updating the freindorfoe.com for the area as well if anyone was interested

castiel

So I am new here in New Mexico and have been OCing a little more lately. (getting a feel for the area). I also have been updating the freindorfoe.com for the area as well if anyone was interested

I saw you added an entry for Walmart, but you should know (if you don't already) that it is a felony to open carry inside any Walmart in NM that sells alcohol (which is most if not all of them). The signs they post on the doors specifically state that CCW holders are exempt and free to conceal carry inside.

AH.74

I saw you added an entry for Walmart, but you should know (if you don't already) that it is a felony to open carry inside any Walmart in NM that sells alcohol (which is most if not all of them). The signs they post on the doors specifically state that CCW holders are exempt and free to conceal carry inside.

I'm not sure if any others do this, but the new(ish) Super WM on the South side of Santa Fe has recently added no-gun "gunbuster" stickers on each of the inner sliding doors; on the outside is the notice exempting CC holders. I believe they are trying to make sure open carriers know the law.