• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrier sues Evansville, IN for removal from zoo

griffin

Both the cops and the dispatcher have the IQ of turnips. The dispatcher told the zoo they could legally trespass him? The cops said they're okay with guns as long as they're covered, but not open?

What kind of morons does Evansville hire, anyway?

ICBM

Both the cops and the dispatcher have the IQ of turnips. The dispatcher told the zoo they could legally trespass him? The cops said they're okay with guns as long as they're covered, but not open?

What kind of morons does Evansville hire, anyway?

Technically, this can be seen as perjury. The city and it's employees cannot say they did not remove Magenheimer because of his handgun being open-carried, while evidence and completely contradictory statements show the opposite.

Last edited:

ICBM

××× UPDATE ×××

Just read these two publications.

Indiana Supreme Court says again it won't hear city's appeal in Evansville gun owner's lawsuit.

Webb: Seriously, Evansville. Settle the zoo/gun lawsuit.

Also, here is the Hearing Journal Entry from 1/16/2018;

"Parties appear telephonically and advise the court that mediation is scheduled to commence on 2/19/18 with Timothy Born. Once the court is notified of the mediation results, appropriate proceedings will be scheduled."

Looks like this may finally be ending... :cool:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Just read these two publications.

Indiana Supreme Court says again it won't hear city's appeal in Evansville gun owner's lawsuit.

Webb: Seriously, Evansville. Settle the zoo/gun lawsuit.

Also, here is the Hearing Journal Entry from 1/16/2018;

"Parties appear telephonically and advise the court that mediation is scheduled to commence on 2/19/18 with Timothy Born. Once the court is notified of the mediation results, appropriate proceedings will be scheduled."

Looks like this may finally be ending... :cool:
Thanks for the update.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I understand the non-disclosure stipulation, can anyone simply tell us if the settlement was accepted favorably by Mr. Magenheimer? Is he satisfied? Hope his legal expenses were included as additional compensation.

Timjoebillybob

While I understand the non-disclosure stipulation, can anyone simply tell us if the settlement was accepted favorably by Mr. Magenheimer? Is he satisfied? Hope his legal expenses were included as additional compensation.

While I don't know the answer to your questions for sure. I'm sure he didn't get all he wanted, but the few posts by him didn't sound like he was too disappointed. He also posted a picture of his new truck... Knowing a bit about his attorney, I'm sure he were compensated. When he is citing Monty Python in court briefs, you can kinda tell he has them on the ropes. Yes I'm serious, Ben's attorney Guy Relford quoted and cited Monty Python. IIRC it was The Search for the Holy Grail, if I could find a link to it I'd post it. He is seriously mocking Evensville's attorney. And yes the cities petition was denied. I think it was their 2nd or 3rd appeal for rehearing to the Court of Appeals.

I'm also pretty sure Evensville got some of what they wanted, the NDA for starters and not having to admit being at fault as well. While I may have liked seeing it come down to an open court decision, I do not blame Ben for settling. While the law is pretty cut and dried, there are no guarantees in a trial and he's been dealing with this for about 6 years.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I don't know the answer to your questions for sure. I'm sure he didn't get all he wanted, but the few posts by him didn't sound like he was too disappointed. He also posted a picture of his new truck... Knowing a bit about his attorney, I'm sure he were compensated. When he is citing Monty Python in court briefs, you can kinda tell he has them on the ropes. Yes I'm serious, Ben's attorney Guy Relford quoted and cited Monty Python. IIRC it was The Search for the Holy Grail, if I could find a link to it I'd post it. He is seriously mocking Evensville's attorney. And yes the cities petition was denied. I think it was their 2nd or 3rd appeal for rehearing to the Court of Appeals.

I'm also pretty sure Evensville got some of what they wanted, the NDA for starters and not having to admit being at fault as well. While I may have liked seeing it come down to an open court decision, I do not blame Ben for settling. While the law is pretty cut and dried, there are no guarantees in a trial and he's been dealing with this for about 6 years.
The "new truck" says a mouthful.

Would love to have heard the Monty Python thing in court - Search for the Holy Grail...:lol:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Thanks for the info.

One wonders who paid the final settlement... if it was the city, then the amount and the terms should be available via an open records/state FOIA request.