• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Life In Dickson City

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
As always, your postings are humorous, educational, well written and an inspiration to us all. If you're ever out this way, you'll get a free cup of coffee at my house, and in a clean cup, too!

Out west here, one of the Pittsburgh stations ran a video article entitled, "Packing Heat: PA's Open Carry Gun Law." Here's the video link: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle...aw/-/10927008/20800480/-/cornjlz/-/index.html

Basically, what they discovered out here, even in Metropolitan Pittsburgh, is it's no big deal. Either nobody notices, or nobody cares.

Nonetheless, keep up the postings up there in NEPA.

countryclubjoe

Hi Pa OCers

I am a NJ resident ( I know my bad fortune) I have another year trapped in this nanny state then I am off to Delaware County PA, to live out my twilight years with the children and Grandchildren.

I intend to CC and also OC.

Thinking to CC when Im with the kids and OC when I am solo. Thoughts?

Jahwarrior- I enjoy reading your post. Your a good family guy and a great representative for 2A and open carry. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Best regards.

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Thinking to CC when Im with the kids and OC when I am solo. Thoughts?
OC as much as possible around them -normalize, let them know that good people carry to protect their kids & grandkids. Teach them the fundamentals: safety, safety, safety. Help to create the next generation of responsible citizens :)

countryclubjoe

OC as much as possible around them -normalize, let them know that good people carry to protect their kids & grandkids. Teach them the fundamentals: safety, safety, safety. Help to create the next generation of responsible citizens :)

Grapeshot- Thank you for your reply. I will be closing in on 60 around the time I relocate to PA. Not as tough or as fast has I use to be.
My fear of OCing with the kids is that some criminal or criminals may attempt to over power me and steal my weapon and use the weapon against myself and the kids. I guess getting older makes me less confident, However I do fully intend to teach the Grand Kids about the 2A and also get them familiarized with weapons both for protection and for safety.

I will probably OC and CC at the same time. An old man like me can't be to careful.

TIA

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot- Thank you for your reply. I will be closing in on 60 around the time I relocate to PA. Not as tough or as fast has I use to be.
My fear of OCing with the kids is that some criminal or criminals may attempt to over power me and steal my weapon and use the weapon against myself and the kids. I guess getting older makes me less confident, However I do fully intend to teach the Grand Kids about the 2A and also get them familiarized with weapons both for protection and for safety.

I will probably OC and CC at the same time. An old man like me can't be to careful.

TIA

CCJ

Understand the emotionalism, but it just doesn't happen. Gun snatches of LAC are things best relegated to the old wives tale pantry.

I OC because it is a visual deterrent - not OCing would make me look like a typical unarmed victim.

DocWalker

As always, your postings are humorous, educational, well written and an inspiration to us all. If you're ever out this way, you'll get a free cup of coffee at my house, and in a clean cup, too!

Out west here, one of the Pittsburgh stations ran a video article entitled, "Packing Heat: PA's Open Carry Gun Law." Here's the video link: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle...aw/-/10927008/20800480/-/cornjlz/-/index.html

Basically, what they discovered out here, even in Metropolitan Pittsburgh, is it's no big deal. Either nobody notices, or nobody cares.

Nonetheless, keep up the postings up there in NEPA.

The police chief is an IDIOT and shouldn't be a police officer. It is American right and criminals don't open carry in holsters.

jahwarrior

Understand the emotionalism, but it just doesn't happen. Gun snatches of LAC are things best relegated to the old wives tale pantry.

I OC because it is a visual deterrent - not OCing would make me look like a typical unarmed victim.

To be fair, there ARE documented cases of people who've had their guns stolen while open carrying. Once in Virginia, and again in Wisconsin. There have been a couple of other incidents I know of, but can't think of right now. The Wisconsin incident happened during the push for legal concealed carry, and some say it helped get it legalized there.

It's rare, but it happens. If open carry were more popular, it would probably happen more often. If more people drove Ferraris, more Ferraris would be stolen. It's a fact of life, and something we should accept as a possibility.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

To be fair, there ARE documented cases of people who've had their guns stolen while open carrying. Once in Virginia, and again in Wisconsin. There have been a couple of other incidents I know of, but can't think of right now. The Wisconsin incident happened during the push for legal concealed carry, and some say it helped get it legalized there.

It's rare, but it happens. If open carry were more popular, it would probably happen more often. If more people drove Ferraris, more Ferraris would be stolen. It's a fact of life, and something we should accept as a possibility.
None of which I am aware have passed the test.

A gun taken in the course of a robbery (not seen first) is not a gun snatch.

I think the following is the WI event to which you refer. Though this was not a gun snatch, it was a very rare and unusual robbery. I strongly suspect that more CCers are robbed than OCers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY&feature=related

The Virginia event that most people try to use as an example was actually a push/shove match where the 1st time OCer's gun fell out of his holster when he hit the floor. The shooter picked it up a ran, the OCer chased him after him and got shot for his efforts.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/t...cle_970e24e7-dd5d-57e7-8fb8-a64a0a2b26ba.html

BTW - I'd like to test your Ferrari therory........if someone would provide :)

jahwarrior

5:43 AM. I'm drinking a coffee in the Dunkin Donuts near my home. I just got out of work. An officer with the Olyphant PD just walked in. He's in the middle of ordering when he sees me. He does a double take, pays for his coffe, and whatever's in the bag, and walks over to me.

"How you doin'?"

Alright.

"Everything alright?"

Yeah. Why?

"C'mon, dude. You're armed."

So? Lotsa folks are.

"Yeah, I guess. You always carry out in the open?"

Only when I don't care what people think.

"Got a feeling you never care what people think."

Pretty much.

"Anyone ever give you a hard time over it?"

Mostly just crybaby liberal pussies, and cops.

He laughed. "Okay, point taken. I'm not gonna give you a hard time, I was just curious."

S'okay. I didn't think you were, otherwise you would've been a dick from the start. I can tell where most conversations are gonna go pretty quick. Thanks.

"Okay, then. You have a good one."

You too. Be safe.

jahwarrior

Well, looks like the last of the sixty degree weather is gone until April. Gonna be a dead thread for awhile.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, looks like the last of the sixty degree weather is gone until April. Gonna be a dead thread for awhile.
Can still get mileage by shucking the jacket when shopping or perusing the magazines in the book store.

It's the land of opportunity :)

Statkowski

I don't know about you, but my light jacket "just happens to" ride up and over my carry piece whenever I'm out and about. Of course, out here in Western Pennsylvania people either don't notice or they don't care.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't know about you, but my light jacket "just happens to" ride up and over my carry piece whenever I'm out and about. Of course, out here in Western Pennsylvania people either don't notice or they don't care.

Oh, well, it sounds like western PA is pretty well pacified.

So, you'll have to get busy working on another jurisdiction. Say, Manhattan. :D

Can't rest on your laurels, y'know. Gotta set new challenges for yourself. :D

Statkowski

Don't know about where you are, but it was sixty degrees in Punxsutawney (Jefferson County) today. Maybe it's because we're further west, the sun has more of a chance to warm up by the time it gets here. I know, it's not logical, but just maybe.......

First stop today while OCing was the Driver's License Center. The only issue there was I had to wait a minute for the one person ahead of me to leave before I got my driver's license renewed. I really didn't even have to pick a number and stand in line.

Wifey-poo visited the Good Will Store, followed by a trip to Aldi's, with me accompanying her. Nope, no old ladies or limp-wristed liberals wetting their pants.

That was followed up by a trip to Wal-Mart and then lunch at Punxsy Phil's Family Restaurant (no, he was not on the menu). Again, no police calls made or any such crap like that.

Last stop was a little country craft shop on the outskirts of town. Got there just as they were closing. They reopened just for us (gotta love the friendliness of people out here in Western Pennsylvania). Nope, no comments made.

All in all, a nice visit to The Weather Capitol of the World.

jahwarrior

On 3.21.14, I had to leave Books-A-Million today, after refusing to leave my gun in my car.

Some lady was giving me $hit over a parking spot she insisted was a handicapped spot (it wasn't). I moved my car back, to show her it wasn't, then parked somewhere else, just to be accomodating. She parked somewhere else, anyway.

Inside, she followed me around, even when I sat down with my kid to look at magaizines. I had two books I planned on buying. Some guy sitting us began to talk us, telling me he felt safer now, when two managers approached me, telling me "customers" were freaked out about it. I told him about the argument outside, and how I gave up the spot anyway, and how she was following me around the store.

Well, he was still concerned, and just to make her feel better, would I leave it in the car, anyway? I asked if he'd be responsible if it was stolen. He said no, of course, but he would prefer if it were in the car.

I said no, and got up, told him I was gonna collect my kid, and leave without buying the books. He insisted that that wasn't necessary, he just wanted me to leave the gun outside. I laughed, and told him he couldn't have it both ways. F^<#ing ridiculous.

I got my kid, walked to the door, and there she was, looking like she won something. "You're very mature, and courageous, picking on a guy who was nice enough to give up a spot even though you were wrong. Oh, wait, no you're not. You're an@$$hole. Have a nice day."

She began to wail, to anyone who could hear, that I was harassing her, when the other guy, who I spoke to, said "No he wasn't. You're being an *******. Why don't you mind your business and leave that guy alone?" They got in each others faces, and I giggled, and left.

About a week later, I was on the phone with the district manager, after lodging a complaint, and she researched PA gun laws. After some consideration, she contacted all the stores under her authority, and the corporate office, and from now on, BAM will follow state law. Carrying is okay in their stores.

She went so far as to have a conference call with her staff, to outline methods to dealwith customers who might be upset by the sight of a gun, and how to deescalate a problematic situation, while respecting everyone's rights. She assured me this wouldn't happen again.

So, a little win for today. It took a week because this became a corporate issue, and I believe this policy will be implemented nationwide. We'll see.

Last edited:

jahwarrior

Last Friday, my lady and I found ourselves in the North Philly badlands to attend my brother's nuptials. I forgot how bad Philly looked; we took the Turnpike from NEPA, and got off Roosevelt Blvd. My girl shrank in her seat; she'd never seen caged porches, or entire city blocks shuttered and condemned.

The wedding itself took place in the Latino neighborhood, in a community garden on Palethorp. It was a lovely ceremony, with lovely weather, and family I haven't seen in years. We later congregated at a corner Mexican restaurant on West Girard. The food and staff was excellent.

I did a good bit of walking, and twice the Philly PD drove by me, but never made contact. In the restaurant, a couple of douchey hipster wanks gave me the stinkeye, but nothing was said.

All in all, it was a great day...

...until my GPS decided the shortest distance from Philly to Scranton was to go through F*CKING NEW JERSEY.

Before we knew what was happening, we were in Trenton. No matter what we did, we seemed to be getting deeper and deeper into NJ...and we were low on gas. We stopped at a gas station in Flemington, I threw a shirt over my hip, fueled up, and tore ass out of Flemington.

After about an hour and a half, we finally saw the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign.

It was like flying through Reaver space.