• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your OC/CC expierence here.

Tucker6900

Had to make a trip to BestBuy here in Dubuque yesterday, as my tablet was acting up. Standing at the Geek Squad Counter talking with the tech, another tech came over, looked at my hip and asked if I was a bounty hunter. Said nope. Then he asked if I was a Cop. Said nope, just an every day average citizen exercising my 2nd Amendment rights. Let him know, the great thing about Iowa is if you have your CCW you can open carry.

Then on the way out of the store, he was by the entrance, and asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. Gave him the info, and then told him how he could qualify to get a CCW, and a great LGS that he could get an excellent deal on a sidearm if he wanted. His co-worker standing there with him was even listening and interested.

Was a surprisingly cool experience, and got to inform a citizen on carry rights! Good experience! :D

Best buy was a surprise to me when I heard about their policy. Keep up the good work.

Kromwell

OC today

OC'd today again in Texas Roadhouse with the family to celebrate Memorial day and my sons last day as a Civilian as he heads out tomorrow for Basic Training. Another great OC experience.

Kromwell

Latest open carry outting

Went to Tony's Pawn shop on Central in Dubuque, heard they had ammo in. After picking up a box of Blazer Brass 9mm for my wife, decided to go up to HWY 20 and visit Theisens as I'd heard they had some in. WAY WAY too pricey for 357/38's (25rd box for $25!). As I was walking back to the van, a pair of guys on their Harleys next to me complimented me on my side arm(Taurus PT840 in an ITAC Defense holster). Had a nice discussion with them, before they left to enjoy the weather, and I headed on my way home.

Kromwell

OC'ing the last few days

Went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts a week ago thursday, to have a battery checked. On the way out the guy behind the counter asked "what model?" said the make/model of my car, and he said noooo, your guy. Was a good conversation.

Just went to Wal-Green's on JFK/Asubry, and walking out, had a Vet ask me what I was carrying, and then said he has CCW as well, but never carries but probably should.

Then I went to Sam's club. Barely got in the door, and Jim the greeter looked at my gun, and asked if I was a Cop. Said Nope! Just a citizen exercising my rights. He said he didnt think you could carry in Sam's but wasnt sure. This led to a 10-15 minute conversation involving updating him on Corporate policy, and Iowa's policy. Another associate he called over, said she wasnt sure, and then proceeded to tell me about her hand-gun. Then another associate walked over, who was in their lower-mid 20's, and he asked them and she replied 'oh yeah, its totally allowed, it's great! When we're at ***** we carry all the time!". Was a good experience in that I got to edjamakate a couple of people today on the process. Jim even asked how to apply, that he was interested in getting his CCW.

Then I went to Hartig Drug, and not a glance/peep the the whole time.

Good experiences again :)

Tucker6900

Off duty deputy didnt like my OC at Tball game...

Well, to be honest, I am not sure he really was a deputy. I know/have seen most of the deputies in Washington County. Here is how it went....

I was sitting on the bleachers cheering on my boy when he walked up next to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if he could talk to me. I said sure, but maintained my sitting position.

Him: Do you have a permit for that?
Me: Yep.
Him: Can I see it?
Me: Im sorry, who are you?
Him: Im a Sheriffs deputy.
(I was getting suspicious at this point)
Me: Ahh, for Washington County?
Him: Yes.
Me: Whats your name and badge number?
Him: Look sir, I just need to see your permit and Ill be on my way.
Me: Well, if you can prove to me that you are a deputy, Ill be happy to show it to you. But until I see some proof, like a badge or some other sort of official identification, Ill be returning my attention to the ball game.

At that he shook his head and walked away.

Now, I was going to call the Sheriffs office and report it, but I figured it was one of two situations. One, he was a sheriffs deputy but for some reason didnt want to show ID. Two, he wasnt and was a "concerned" citizen trying to make a point, or an idiot acting like he was above me. Either way, I didnt feel that it was an issue that needed police attention. I know some will think otherwise, but I had my reasons. The main reason was that his kid was playing in a game on the other field, and I didnt want that child to have to deal with watching his father get arrested for impersonating an officer.

I ask, what would you have done?

RugarRev

Sounds like you handled it very well indeed. Might I ask, the ball park. School,park? Curious because all 3 grand kids are playing ball this summer and I don't want to run afoul of the law.

Tucker6900

Sounds like you handled it very well indeed. Might I ask, the ball park. School,park? Curious because all 3 grand kids are playing ball this summer and I don't want to run afoul of the law.

Kalona City Park. IANAL, There is no law preventing the lawful carry of a firearm in a city park.

landon holt

Well, to be honest, I am not sure he really was a deputy. I know/have seen most of the deputies in Washington County. Here is how it went....

I was sitting on the bleachers cheering on my boy when he walked up next to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if he could talk to me. I said sure, but maintained my sitting position.

Me: Well, if you can prove to me that you are a deputy, Ill be happy to show it to you. But until I see some proof, like a badge or some other sort of official identification, Ill be returning my attention to the ball game.

Now, I was going to call the Sheriffs office and report it, but I figured it was one of two situations. One, he was a sheriffs deputy but for some reason didnt want to show ID. Two, he wasnt and was a "concerned" citizen trying to make a point, or an idiot acting like he was above me. Either way, I didnt feel that it was an issue that needed police attention. I know some will think otherwise, but I had my reasons. The main reason was that his kid was playing in a game on the other field, and I didnt want that child to have to deal with watching his father get arrested for impersonating an officer.

That's interesting. I live in Washington County (of Oregon). I just moved up from southern Oregon though, so I haven't had much experience around here yet. I did meet a sheriff that I was asking for directions from to get to their CHL office of the big department building. I haven't OC'd yet cause I don't have the holster for it, and I really can't afford one yet. The sheriffs around here seem great, but I've seen a lot of PDs with signs that say "no firearms" on the doors (which of course isn't right because I can carry in a police station whenever I want). So I don't believe any police departments around here as a whole, save the sheriffs department, takes kindly to any carriage of firearms by the public. That's pretty typical for Oregon though.

I would've handled the situation much like you. After the game I would've contacted the sheriff's department though just to give them a heads up on what happened. I don't know any officer that doesn't go without their badge (I'm assuming he didn't have it).

Kromwell

Well handled Tucker!

Kromwell

OC'd and got on the news while doing it!

Made the KWWL (Channel 7 local news). This is in the Helicopter simulator that was at the Army display at Kennedy Mall last night. I'm in the stripped shirt (obviously), and that is my son in the black shirt/Army hat next to me, he was running the simulator. If you look at the lower left corner just above the indicator on the time line at my hip, you can see I even was on the news Open Carrying :) Nothing like some obvious OC exposure! :)

Forgot to mention, while leaving the event, I walked past 10-12 DBQ PD and Sheriff's, and didn't get a single second glance. Had the mall's barney fief give me a nasty look. Walked past a crowd of a couple of hundred people OC'ing, while they were waiting to watch the sky dive event (which got cancelled minutes before the 7pm jump). Even had a couple of the troops running the event asking how I could carry, and after I explained then ask how they could apply for a permit.

Attachments

• me_on_news.jpg
    me_on_news.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

RugarRev

Went to Harbor Freight on Army Post Rd. in Des Moines with my SR9C riding high on my hip today to pick up a floor-creeper I had a coupon for..$19.06 w/tax!

They were in a big display located in the center of the store, easy to find, but I decided to walk up and down every isle just for kicks before going through the check-out.

No looks that I noticed, nice young woman at the register didn't even bat an eye. A wonderful day in the neighborhood! :)

Last edited:

RugarRev

Bass Pro OC

Swung BP this afternoon to check on 22's for Mrs Rev's P22Q and 9's for my SRc. Nothing, as usual:banghead:

As I pass thru the turnstile the guy sez "Excuse me sir...you have a permit to carry?" I say "You betcha." He gives me a thumbs-up and sez "Good to go!" I return the "thumb" and head on in, preparing myself for another great disappointment.

Afterwards i stop by my local Kum&Go, top off the tank on the Silver Surfer and head for home. I don't think the guy behind counter even noticed. Another wonderful day in the neighborhood.

RugarRev

Usual Stuff

Stopped by WalMart to pick up a voice recorder, didn't have what I wanted so I slipped across the street to Best Buy and found the one I was looking for. (A big tip-o-the-hat to Grapeshot for the recommendation!) on the way back into town, swung by Bass Pro .. No 9m or 22. They did have some 38 & 45's on the shelf though. Spent a few minutes checking the gun case, their hand gun selection is starting to fill out. Topped off the car & back home. No issues at all, as it should be.

Kromwell

OC'd yesterday on a day trip to Waterloo.

We stopped at Sam's club to gas up, and get a baby shower item, a snack and drink for the trip to Waterloo. Didnt stop at Waterloo, as we headed 1st to BlackHawk Park to hit up the shooting range. After putting 90rds through my Taurus PT840 w/o any issues at all, and my wife put 100 or so through her Taurus PT809c (flawlessly), we went to Waterloo.

We went to dinner at Panda Express, by Target. We were the last dinners in the place (about 6:20pm Sunday night). There were 4 of us, the hostess, and I'm assuming a cook, standing by the bar. We stood up after we paid, and the guy by the bar asks me "Is that a real gun?" Oh the witty comebacks I could of made to that, but I held it in check :) I replied that it was. He then asked (always get this) Are you a cop? Nope, just exercising my 2nd amendment rights.

He then asks if I could take it out so he could see it (/insert facepalm). I declined... imagine if he were the owner, and he asked me, and gave permission....I'd still say no. Wonder how that would look to someone coming into a place to eat, and you see someone with a gun in hand? Uh, nothankyouverymuch. I said no, but I turned so he could see what I was carrying. He asked ?'s like what type is it, what do they cost, how do you get a permit. Was an interesting, but as always opportunity to educate someone on what it takes to legally carry!

Fun part, was my wife, my mom, and my dad all got to see this type of exchange for the 1st time. It's gotten to be 'old hat' for me. Still fun though :)

Last edited:

Kromwell

OC weekend

OC'd at multiple places this weekend. Wal-Mart/Lowe's multiple times, Sam's club (they were giving out wine samples. Lady asked if I wanted to try it, I looked down at my hip, said ty but I'll pass. She followed my gaze, gave me an 'oh my!' lol). Big-10 mart, tobacco outlet w/o any issues. Good weekend!

RugarRev

WalMart Had Ammunition Today!

Stopped by the WM on SE14th this morning on my way out of town to check ammo availability, and lo-and-behold they had stock in 9, 38, 40 & 45! Picked up all the 9's the would allow & off I go;)

Oh...no issues & no one fainted from seeing my OC Ruger :dude:

GeoffD

Stopped by the WM on SE14th this morning on my way out of town to check ammo availability, and lo-and-behold they had stock in 9, 38, 40 & 45! Picked up all the 9's the would allow & off I go;)

Oh...no issues & no one fainted from seeing my OC Ruger :dude:

Funny...that's the very same WalMart I got kicked out of while OC my Ruger...Glad you didn't have any issues.

Wake

Where are all you open carriers when I'm out and about?! I've only seen one in Bettendorf, leaving HyVee. Too far away to get a good look but he was getting into a jeep outfitted for deep water. Snorkel intake, etc.

I CC everywhere but haven't tried OC yet.

If someone wants to do an open carry walk somewhere, my gf and I would participate, she has her permit too.

I had a LE encounter due to a car accident, the officer happened to ask if I had any weapons and the blank look on his face was priceless when I said there was a gun in the console. lol. It took him a minute to speak again, he just asked to see my permit.

Then he politely asked if HE could retrieve my reg and ins info from the glovebox haha. overall a decent encounter.

RugarRev

Funny...that's the very same WalMart I got kicked out of while OC my Ruger...Glad you didn't have any issues.

I OC there a couple of times a week while I'm out searching for ammo. When did they do that to you? :exclaim: