• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prattville PD officer ejected from Riverwalk Stadium for OC

eye95

I observed an open carrier entering Riverwalk Stadium tonight (as did several others in the box office). While we remarked about it to each other, none of chose to say anything to anyone outside of the box office.

When I was done in the box office, I went into the game. After looking around a bit for the carrier, I asked security if anything unusual happened tonight. At first, he said nothing happened.

After a while, he said that there was one thing: A man with a gun was asked to leave the stadium. After being pressed, he gave up more details. The man got through the gate with no one saying anything about the gun. However, within seconds, he was descended upon by Montgomery PD officers. Since Riverwalk has a "no weapons" policy, the man (who was an off-duty Prattville Police Department officer) was asked to leave by the open-carrying on-duty Montgomery Police Department officers.

I don't know if he was allowed (or chose) to return after disarming.

Ya gotta love the irony.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How did he get past security? That's gotta make you feel safe considering you can't carry there. Do rhey have security at the gate? I never thought than any type stadium security was all that effective even when I get the "pat down" at FedEx (Redskins) field. I also find it funny that one police officer tells another he can't carry a gun. I thought they were all buddies...too bad you don't know if he disarmed, that would be an interesting tidbit.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I observed an open carrier entering Riverwalk Stadium tonight (as did several others in the box office). While we remarked about it to each other, none of chose to say anything to anyone outside of the box office.

When I was done in the box office, I went into the game. After looking around a bit for the carrier, I asked security if anything unusual happened tonight. At first, he said nothing happened.

After a while, he said that there was one thing: A man with a gun was asked to leave the stadium. After being pressed, he gave up more details. The man got through the gate with no one saying anything about the gun. However, within seconds, he was descended upon by Montgomery PD officers. Since Riverwalk has a "no weapons" policy, the man (who was an off-duty Prattville Police Department officer) was asked to leave by the open-carrying on-duty Montgomery Police Department officers.

I don't know if he was allowed (or chose) to return after disarming.

Ya gotta love the irony.

Can you CC there?

eye95

Why did he think that OCing would be permitted? A question most likely not asked and a answer that will most likely never be known.

Probably because he is a police officer, and he thinks that police officers, even off-duty, have privileges that other citizens do not. Alabama law does not give LEOs blanket permission to carry onto private property without permission of the owner or his agent unless they are on-duty. Riverwalk apparently does not grant that permission.

gwagner

Riverwalk

I've e-mailed the stadium director for clarification on this policy.I have always carried concealed there, but an unfavorable answer will mean no more Biscuits games for me or my family.

I would urge you all to do the same. Take away my rights, you must not want my business.

gwagner

I have an e-mail in to Chief Murphy

Chief Murphy,

I am forwarding to you the e-mail communication below from Mr. Rauch at Riverwalk Stadium, as well as my response to him.

I recently became aware of an incident where supposedly a Prattville PD officer was ask to leave Riverwalk for open carrying a pistol by Montgomery Police. Now, this could be a rumor...but it lead to a deeper question.

Someone, supposedly a Biscuits employee on a local gun forum said that Riverwalk prohibited all weapons possession, even lawful concealed carry. I posed the question to Biscuits management, and was informed that since Riverwalk Stadium, like Crampton Bowl and Patterson field were "public property," that" City Authority" had established policies prohibiting lawful pistol possession at these "public places."

Could you please clarify for me the policy that is being stated? I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but I ( as well as many others) would like to know if our pistol permit is somehow void at Riverwalk stadium, Patterson Field, and Crampton Bowl?

It seems to me that Montgomery enacting an ordinance, rule or regulation to that affect would violate Title 11, § 11-45-1.

Any guidance you could give me on this matter is very much appreciated. I very much enjoy attending Biscuits games with my family, but will not do so if the right given to me by State law to carry a concealed pistol for my protection is taken away there

Thanks!

GW

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Rauch,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, you are saying the City of Montgomery has established an ordinance that prohibits possession of a lawfully carried pistol at public property?

I'll investigate this further with the city, but I find it odd that Montgomery would violate state law with an ordinance prohibiting firearms possession on public property.

Title 11, Code of Alabama States:

§ 11-45-1.1. Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature; power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent
jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts. No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or
regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature...

Now, if Riverwalk Stadium was private property, then the owner would have every right to forbid possession of weapons.

I appreciate your time and will follow up with MPD, and Sheriff Marshall. I'll keep you apprised of my findings. I think this may simply be a misguided policy put in place by someone ignorant of state law.

I hope I find that to be the case, because this has generated allot of discussion on local and state gun forums. I believe this would be detrimental to the attendance at Riverwalk by licensed permit holders. I know personally at least 10 Montgomery residents who have already stated if there is a No Weapons Policy at Riverwalk, they have attended their last Biscuits game. I know I have until this is cleared up.

Thanks again,

GW

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Greg Rauch <grauch@biscuitsbaseball.com> wrote:
G,

We are a public facility, just like Patterson field or Campton Bowl and follow the same policies established by City authority, and do not allow patrons to bring in weapons.
We do however allow police officers and have many officers present during our events. We not aware of any police officer being asked to leave the facility during our event?
If he was, it was not at the direction of management.

I hope this helps, please feel free to call me if you have any more questions

Greg Rauch
President
Montgomery Biscuits Baseball
334.549.6172 cell
334.323.0359 office
www.biscuitsbaseball.com

Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 3:27 PM
To: grauch@biscuitsbaseball.com; mterranova@biscuitsbaseball.com
Subject: Fwd: Riverwalk Weapons Policy

Can either of you answer the question below?

Thanks!

GW

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Riverwalk Weapons Policy
To: sblackwell@biscuitsbaseball.com

Sir,

I recently became aware that an off duty Prattville Police officer was asked to leave Riverwalk Stadium for open carrying his duty weapon in accordance with Alabama State law. Someone I spoke to went as far as to say that Riverwalk Stadium has a "no weapons" policy to include Concealed Pistol carry by law abiding licensed citizens.

Instead of speculating, I wanted to get the question answered by the person who would know.

Does Riverwalk Stadium prohibit licensed Alabama residents from carrying their concealed pistol, or furthermore any legal resident from carrying openly a holstered pistol (in accordance with Alabama State Code) on the premises?

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter,

GW
Montgomery, AL

Kirbinator

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/Constitution/1901/CA-245624.htm

[h=5]SECTION 89[/h] [h=4]Municipalities not to pass laws in conflict with general laws of state.[/h] The legislature shall not have power to authorize any municipal corporation to pass any laws inconsistent with the general laws of this state.

Ok...

Now read this, forward it to them and ask if they are unconstitutionally violating the rights of the people:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/pdfopinions/2001-267.pdf

If they are city, they may make no rule, law, or ordinance concerning firearms. 11-45-1.1 & 11-80-11 apply here.

Last edited:

PackingPastor

Can you CC there?

Update: I attended a game on Sunday afternoon (8/26/18, 5:05pm start), and I CCed with no issues. I saw no signs referencing weapons at all, and I searched the Biscuits' web site for a policy, to no avail. I saw a number of uniformed cops inside the stadium, but no one gave me a second look. There was no metal detector and no one with a wand.

gutshot II

Update: I attended a game on Sunday afternoon (8/26/18, 5:05pm start), and I CCed with no issues. I saw no signs referencing weapons at all, and I searched the Biscuits' web site for a policy, to no avail. I saw a number of uniformed cops inside the stadium, but no one gave me a second look. There was no metal detector and no one with a wand.

So, you sneak into a place where you know guns are not allowed while carrying a hidden gun and where not caught. I don't see what was accomplished or what was learned.

Now, if you had OC'ed into a place with an illegal gun ban and defied their illegal ban, forcing them to either enforce it or ignore it, that would be noteworthy. Thanks for playing.

Last edited: