• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

Sir Diealotz

LOL, OK - that's reason enough for me! Here you go... <passes the butter> :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does come back - this was just getting good! I look forward to the re-education, it promises to be a lot of fun to watch.

Much appreciated. Now I'm thirsty, anyone spare some change for a pepsi? I forgot my wallet today LOL!

If I were to conceal my popcorn instead of openly carrying my popcorn, would I then NOT have to share it with anyone?

OK... I'm done :p

solus

Much appreciated. Now I'm thirsty, anyone spare some change for a pepsi? I forgot my wallet today LOL!

If I were to conceal my popcorn instead of openly carrying my popcorn, would I then NOT have to share it with anyone?

OK... I'm done :p

Do you take credit cards like the panhandler?
(
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/31/being-homeless-is-my-business-says-professional-panhandler-who-accepts-credit-cards/)

Marlon Brando's movie last tango in paris concerning butter (adult content is advised)

ipse

Last edited by a moderator:

nobama

I concealed carry every single day. I probably have a gun on me at this very moment. I say probably because you would never know just by looking at me. If you are a bad guy, you have a 50/50 chance of dying if you try to do something bad to me. If a bad guy walks into a store that I happen to be in, he's not going to pay any special attention to me. I'm just another fat guy getting a pop. However, if that bad guy does something bad, I will have the upperhand since I will have the element of surprise on my side.

Which brings me back to the original question of this thread: Why open carry? You are only drawing attention to yourself. If a bad guy walks into a store you are in and wants to do something bad, you are his first target. He now has the element of surprise on his side since he knows you have a gun but you have no idea if he has one or not until its too late. You have put a target on yourself. Lets take that just a bit further: If all the good guys open carried, the bad guys would love it. They would know exactly who to do bad things to. If everyone concealed carried, the bad guys would have to assume that everyone COULD have a gun and they would have to decide if their life is worth the risk.

Now lets all take a break from the talking points and be honest. Why do you open carry? I'd guess its for attention. Either trying to get attention from law enforcement or bystanders. You hope for someone to create a scene. If you really were concerned about being able to defend yourselves and others, you would conceal carry. You add to the safety of the public just by adding doubt to the bad guys' minds. You give yourself an edge over the bad guys. My thinking is that open carry people are either out for attention or can't get a license to conceal carry. Maybe you can't afford the license or the class, maybe you can't pass the background checks, maybe you are just an attention *****.

Feel free to flame me, but those are the thoughts of a lifelong gun guy and someone who carries a gun every single day for the sole purpose of self defense.

I will add again. Why do you CC? "element of surprise"? puuuulleeaase!!! How about this question, and please answer, what does CC do for the 2A, 2A means the second amendment BTW.

jeep1969

Agree with you here. Adding--- I have seen a security video on line from a convenience (stop and rob) store where the bad guy pulls a gun to rob the place without even seeing the uniformed police officer standing in line BEHIND him.

If the BG don't see the uniformed officer as he is doing the robbery then I feel I have nothing to fear just OC'ing a self defense tool in a holster.

i doubt the BG is expecting anyone to have a weapon much less take the time to check out everyone in the store. Most of these things happen quickly, get in, point gun at clerk, get money and get out.
Gotta love his comment about OCing to get attention, the majority of the people never even notice.

JoeSparky

Centurion
i doubt the BG is expecting anyone to have a weapon much less take the time to check out everyone in the store. Most of these things happen quickly, get in, point gun at clerk, get money and get out.
Gotta love his comment about OCing to get attention, the majority of the people never even notice.

In my experience MOST of those that do notice one OC'ing are OC'ers themselves! There are exceptions--- that is why I said "MOST"!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In my experience MOST of those that do notice one OC'ing are OC'ers themselves! There are exceptions--- that is why I said "MOST"!
Damn over sized cell phones in hip holsters. Trying to eat out w/o getting my eys crossed is beginning to be a problem. :uhoh:

jeep1969

True, my son in law just started OC'ing and was surprised how many others he sees now that he never noticed before. I had been telling him this all along as he thought I was the only one around here that OC'd.

rudeguy

As I said but then deleted - it is apparent that the user expects us all to listen to him while he is not willing to listen to anyone here. He came to speak, and he spoke, and he does not want to listen, and so leaves. Rude indeed.

I'm still here. I came to ask a question, so I have been reading the answers. I honestly want to know why people open carry instead of concealed. I stated my logic pretty plainly and didn't want it to seem as if I came to argue. Again, I like being the grey man :)

rudeguy

I will add again. Why do you CC? "element of surprise"? puuuulleeaase!!! How about this question, and please answer, what does CC do for the 2A, 2A means the second amendment BTW.

The number of CPL holders does a great amount to show the politicians that there are a lot of good guys who carry. It also does a great deal to help dismantle the rumors about people who carry. In my state, all crimes by CPL holders are tracked and publicly posted. The rate of crime by CPL holders is much lower than any average you can find. Some years its even lower than the percentage of judges who commit crimes.

Most importantly, concealed carry is what the 2A is there for: To defend yourself and others. I'd argue that open carry is all about the 1A and concealed is about 2A.

B

Bikenut

Well... perhaps the following will help explain about open carry....

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Now... about an OC'er being "targeted" or "shot first" by the bad guys...

OC has been practiced for DECADES in Arizona (just one State out of all the States where open carry is/has been done)... yet the incidents where an OC'er was "targeted" or "shot first" are so rare it is difficult to find any reputable incidents that can be backed up with cites and/or links to put any validity to those claims. If there were any truth to those claims shouldn't it be easy to find actual incidents especially considering there are DECADES!! of open carry to choose from?

B

Bikenut

The number of CPL holders does a great amount to show the politicians that there are a lot of good guys who carry. It also does a great deal to help dismantle the rumors about people who carry. In my state, all crimes by CPL holders are tracked and publicly posted. The rate of crime by CPL holders is much lower than any average you can find. Some years its even lower than the percentage of judges who commit crimes.

Most importantly, concealed carry is what the 2A is there for: To defend yourself and others. I'd argue that open carry is all about the 1A and concealed is about 2A.
Are you aware that concealed carry permits are NOT the right to bear arms but are the infringement upon that right called the privilege to bear arms controlled by the government?

Concealed carry permits are not the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and actually are the very infringement that "shall not be infringed" was supposed to stop the government from doing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You would seem to position yourself as a provocateur, returning to "argue."

While we do not care whether you OC, CC, or noC, this is a site dedicated to promoting and protecting the right of people to open carry as they go about their normal everyday lives. Open Carry is legal in a vast majority of the states and growing every year.

We have heard it all many times before from nay sayers. Beating that dead horse further will not be allowed. Continue down that road at your own peril.

Fallschirjmäger

Bzzzzzzt. Logical Fallacy detected, try again. One does not necessarily follow the other and concealed carry does nothing to deter crime.

nobama

Wrong. The 2A is not for walking down the street with a concealed handgun which most states require a permission slip (that is not a right BTW) it is in place to keep us free from tyranny and to help keep our Republic the way it was founded. OC does the same thing about showing the sheeple that we as citizens can carry a firearm and show that we have that right (in most states) it helps roll back all the negative, false lies that have been spoon fed to our children and all the sheeple that have fallen for those lies. It is Liberty in its face. It is not taboo, it is not unpolite. Some have said in the past, showing your gun in public was unpolite, how did we get there? What can we do to turn back that false statement? OCing, and doing it often, being polite while doing it and not caring what others think. The moment we as gun owners care what the anti-American left thinks, the have won, and THAT is unacceptable.

B

Bikenut

Wrong. The 2A is not for walking down the street with a concealed handgun which most states require a permission slip (that is not a right BTW) it is in place to keep us free from tyranny and to help keep our Republic the way it was founded. OC does the same thing about showing the sheeple that we as citizens can carry a firearm and show that we have that right (in most states) it helps roll back all the negative, false lies that have been spoon fed to our children and all the sheeple that have fallen for those lies. It is Liberty in its face. It is not taboo, it is not unpolite. Some have said in the past, showing your gun in public was unpolite, how did we get there? What can we do to turn back that false statement? OCing, and doing it often, being polite while doing it and not caring what others think. The moment we as gun owners care what the anti-American left thinks, the have won, and THAT is unacceptable.
Well said!

rudeguy

Funny...I never said open carrying was not polite or anything close to it. I never said it was taboo either. So you just rallied against a whole list of arguments that I did not make and disregarded the arguments I did make.

However your answer does answer my question. You do open carry to draw attention to yourself. Thanks for the answer.

And I'm perfectly OK with getting a license to exercise my rights. I live in reality where there are bad guys who should not own or carry guns. I accept the fact that part of being a responsible adult is sometimes proving that I am a responsible adult. Until there are no bad guys, I will always have to prove that I am a good guy. Its called accepting reality.

B

Bikenut

Funny...I never said open carrying was not polite or anything close to it. I never said it was taboo either. So you just rallied against a whole list of arguments that I did not make and disregarded the arguments I did make.

However your answer does answer my question. You do open carry to draw attention to yourself. Thanks for the answer.

And I'm perfectly OK with getting a license to exercise my rights. I live in reality where there are bad guys who should not own or carry guns. I accept the fact that part of being a responsible adult is sometimes proving that I am a responsible adult. Until there are no bad guys, I will always have to prove that I am a good guy. Its called accepting reality.
Just curious about your take on my post #158. Especially since the whole idea I presented is to draw the bad guy's attention to the fact that an open carrier makes a poor choice for a victim because it is obvious they are armed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Misapplication of fact. Educating (drawing attention) by showing that OC is legal and accepted is the goal - not promotion of self.

People should/must be deemed to be responsible until proven otherwise. We are not guilty until proven innocent.

A right requiring permission becomes a state sanctioned privilege.

Edited to add: Temporary time out initiated.

Last edited: