• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Maturity

After reading through this post, I am disgusted at peoples maturity level on this site. I Would think that people who carry Firearms on a regular basis would be more professional in a debate like this. Lawdog was simply asking a question and stating his opinion, witch so many of you obviously have as well. Yet you personally attack him and call him names. That is so childish. Just because you don't agree with or believe him does not give you the right to personally attack him. There can be healthy debates without name calling. Any professional debater will tell you that the first person to start yelling and calling the other names has already lost the debate. You resort to this because you can't come up with a good re buttle. Another note is that you should not assume that most/all people who OC/CC know proper weapons safety and retention. It's scary how many people out there carry that have not near enough knowledge on handling firearms. Hence the reason people are constantly shooting themselves in the leg or genitals or even worse. This is why some states require courses and formal training before getting awarded a CPL/CCWD/CWP (whatever you wanna call it). I know and am ready to get attacked from this post like LAWDOG. Just another OCer/CCer stating his opinion. Please people think before you speak and minimize the name calling and personal attacks.

V/R

SigGuy23

HandyHamlet

I know it is your right, that I get, but besides you wanting to exercise your right, why?

As a retired public servant who answered to the Constitution on a daily basis why isn't "because it is my right" enough? If you "get that" then every other word you type, or personal/professional opinion and/or experience you express is mute. Americans continue to give their lives just so I have these rights. So the "besides... why" inquiry is grotesque to put it mildly.

There is another piece of paper I am kind of fond of too. It says...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

(and on a side note, some still can't carry any other way than Open Carry)

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

BaconMan

Why are the politicians in California so afraid of "allowing" the people the right to protect themselves, while just across the river in Arizona the politicians are not?

You have to remember, back in the 60's, a group of Black Panthers made a wrong turn in the State Capitol building and scared the s--t out of the law makers in session. The sight of Black fellas with guns caused everyone in the state's congress to begin passing the California gun laws which are so stringent. In the AZ, it is still wide open and those folks love their guns...just ask my dad and my cousins....:lol:

FTG-05

After reading through this post, I am disgusted at peoples maturity level on this site. I Would think that people who carry Firearms on a regular basis would be more professional in a debate like this. Lawdog was simply asking a question and stating his opinion, witch so many of you obviously have as well. Yet you personally attack him and call him names. That is so childish. Just because you don't agree with or believe him does not give you the right to personally attack him. There can be healthy debates without name calling. Any professional debater will tell you that the first person to start yelling and calling the other names has already lost the debate. You resort to this because you can't come up with a good re buttle. Another note is that you should not assume that most/all people who OC/CC know proper weapons safety and retention. It's scary how many people out there carry that have not near enough knowledge on handling firearms. Hence the reason people are constantly shooting themselves in the leg or genitals or even worse. This is why some states require courses and formal training before getting awarded a CPL/CCWD/CWP (whatever you wanna call it). I know and am ready to get attacked from this post like LAWDOG. Just another OCer/CCer stating his opinion. Please people think before you speak and minimize the name calling and personal attacks.

V/R

SigGuy23

If you're referring to Since' posts, please point out, by directly quoting his words, where he personally attacked and called Lawdog names.

Since' response was excellent, IMO.

Khondker

Hello Lawdog,

First of all I would like to thank you for your great service for public safety.

I do believe that carrying unloaded gun, either CCor OC, is not right thing to do. So, I am believe California law needs to be changed.

Here in GA we carry loaded gun, either way, CC or OC. I open carry because I believe I can draw faster if in case I need to use my gun for self defense.

MyWifeSaidYes

After reading through this post, I am disgusted at peoples maturity level on this site.
So far, this is the only post where you have mentioned this. It looks like you signed up just last week. How many threads have you read thru on this site so far? I don't post much, but I've been reading this site for several years. I find that the majority of folks here are both mature and level-headed. Some are even smart. :p

I Would think that people who carry Firearms on a regular basis would be more professional in a debate like this.
Where was the unprofessionalism?

Lawdog was simply asking a question and stating his opinion, witch so many of you obviously have as well. Yet you personally attack him and call him names.
Really? Where?

...childish...personally attack...name calling...yelling
Seriously? I must not have read the same thread.

You resort to this because you can't come up with a good re buttle.
I read several good re buttles and some nice rebuttals, too.

Another note is that you should not assume that most/all people who OC/CC know proper weapons safety and retention. It's scary how many people out there carry that have not near enough knowledge on handling firearms.
Absolutely. If your concealed carry course was your first exposure to guns, go get some more training. Please.

Hence the reason people are constantly shooting themselves in the leg or genitals or even worse.
Two things. One, can you cite references to where people are constntly shooting themselves? Two, what's worse than getting shot in the genitals? :eek:

This is why some states require courses and formal training before getting awarded a CPL/CCWD/CWP (whatever you wanna call it).
It's not what WE want to call it. Each state has their own nomenclature. In Ohio, it's a CHL (Concealed Handgun License).

I know and am ready to get attacked from this post like LAWDOG.
Why? Because you made false accusations of personal attacks on the OP. Yeah, I could see that happening.

Just another OCer/CCer stating his opinion.
That's why we are all here...to read and share stories and opinions.

Please people think before you speak and minimize the name calling and personal attacks.
Okay.

Poopy head. ;)

protias

I'll only answer one of the questions. Why do I carry openly? Because until Nov 1, 2011, my home state (Wisconsin) does not recognize my right to carry concealed. Not to mention, firearms are meant to be seen (because they are so darn pretty).

since9

Campaign Veteran
After reading through this post, I am disgusted at peoples maturity level on this site.

I've been a forum mod or admin since 1986, on dozens of sites with topics ranging from Christianity and the Bible, politics, family matters, physics and astronomy, and cycling. The overall level of maturity on this site is definitely among the best.

I Would think that people who carry Firearms on a regular basis would be more professional in a debate like this.

I've been a member of officer.com, and I see considerably less restraint on their site towards those (officer and non-officer alike) who support our Second Amendment rights.

Lawdog was simply asking a question and stating his opinion, witch so many of you obviously have as well. Yet you personally attack him and call him names. That is so childish.

I agree that attacking the individual, instead of addressing the points the individual is trying to make, is childish. Technically, it's a logical fallacy, one of irrelevance, whereby one attempts to discredit the points by undermining the credibility of the person presenting those points. It belongs in the red herring category of informal fallacies, and is specifically a genetic fallacy (where one attacks the source or medium of the message) known as an "ad hominem," or "argument against the man." Logically speaking, neither the messenger nor the medium is the message itself. If the message is wrong or incorrect, people should be attacking the message, not the messenger.

Aside from all that, it's a "personal attack" which are prohibited on this forum. By the way, your comment slandering the people of this forum as being immature falls under the "personal attack" category as well.

Just because you don't agree with or believe him does not give you the right to personally attack him. There can be healthy debates without name calling. Any professional debater will tell you that the first person to start yelling and calling the other names has already lost the debate.

True.

You resort to this because you can't come up with a good re buttle.

Actually, most people here can come up with some very good rebuttal if they took the time to do so. "Ad homs" as they're called are a quick and easy (albeit improper) way to vent anger.

Another note is that you should not assume that most/all people who OC/CC know proper weapons safety and retention. It's scary how many people out there carry that have not near enough knowledge on handling firearms.

Agreed.

Hence the reason people are constantly shooting themselves in the leg or genitals or even worse.

That's not as common as people think. Still, I know this one guy... His nickname became DASH (dumb-ass shot himself).

This is why some states require courses and formal training before getting awarded a CPL/CCWD/CWP (whatever you wanna call it).

These requirements are based upon the false presumption that all citizens are ignorant with respect to the safe handling and effective employment (use) of firearms. This choice of presumptions may be, in part, based on the "lowest common denominator" approach, whereby it's too difficult or expensive to separate the chaff from the wheat, so they assume everyone's at the lowest common denominator and train from there.

I know and am ready to get attacked from this post like LAWDOG.

My response, above, is an example of attacking the thought. It is not an ad hom.

Just another OCer/CCer stating his opinion.

Thanks for sharing!

Please people think before you speak and minimize the name calling and personal attacks.

I agree this is always a good idea.

MilProGuy

I am a retired peace officer. I have dealt with my share of open Carry citizens in the past, and every time I
have encountered OC citizen I have asked the same question, but never gotten what I thought was a straightforward answer. My question is simple, Why open Carry? I know it is your right, that I get, but besides you wanting to exercise your right, why?

The other problem that I had with quite a few but not all OC is their attitude towards LEO's. Weather it is not wanting to submit to a 12031(e) check, or the barbs, jabs, and pokes about "rights" and how as LEO's we violated their rights.... Bottom line I hope OC citizens are carrying not just for show. What I mean by this is if you are going to carry a firearm, weather it be loaded or unloaded, you better have the intent and skill to use it if your life depends on it. Tying up Police resources by debating weather or not LEO's have the right to conduct 12031(e) checks, and field interviews (not detentions!) is only going against what I hope OC citizens stand for, protection of life and liberty.

Lawdog:

Since the cowardly, despicable, and destructive attacks by radical Islamic terrorists on 9/11/2001, and the herculean effort that all ranks of first responders put forth to help out in a time of desperate need, I've experienced a renewed appreciation and respect for all public servants who put their lives on the line for the good of their fellow man.

So, I begin by saying thank you for your career in law enforcement.

I will never be one to disrespect, debate, or degrade those in the law enforcement community during a traffic stop or in any arena when I might be asked a civil question by a LEO, and I don't appreciate it when others do.

Thank you for the salient remarks and valuable information you furnished in your original post, which has added a new echelon of dignity to this already fine forum.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Lawdog was simply asking a question and stating his opinion, witch so many of you obviously have as well. Yet you personally attack him and call him names. That is so childish.

Just because you don't agree with or believe him does not give you the right to personally attack him.

There can be healthy debates without name calling.

Any professional debater will tell you that the first person to start yelling and calling the other names has already lost the debate.

SigGuy23

Thanks, SigGuy23, for taking the time to post your remarks.

You made so many good points which, if followed, would help to make this forum a much more pleasurable place to discuss firearms.

dc dalton

Well considering the OP is from California I can understand the comments, especially the carrying an unloaded gun.

Here' in Pa. the gun isn't unloaded, at least mine never is.

Why do I OC? Two very simple reasons:

1. It's comfortable, I carry a full sized 1911 and attempting to conceal that monster is a real PITA

2. It is also in many ways a 'political statement' ... e.g. It's my right, I will exercise that right and I will do so as I feel fit within the laws and honestly I don't give two S**TS who feels uncomfortable about it or feels I should abide by what they feel is right and wrong.

Now that being said during winter months I OC. Why?

Because trying to OC over a heavy winter coat is a real PITA and honestly dumb as hell looking.

MKEgal

since someone else has already necro-bumped this...

The real LawDog lives in TX, & supports the concept & practice of armed citizens.
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/

you still have to take the time to perceive a threat, load the weapon, take aim, and fire the weapon
As others have pointed out, the "load" step only has to happen in CA (& IL, where they have to carry U&E [unloaded & encased]).
The rest of us have only to perceive, draw, & fire.
(Forget aiming... at SD range it's not needed & you won't have time.)

I have dealt with my share of open Carry citizens in the past
More evidence you're not the real LawDog; for now, TX only allows OC in very limited circumstances.

Why open Carry?
I know it is your right, that I get, but besides you wanting to exercise your right, why?
Why worship? Why vote? Why post on a blog? Why gather with friends?
People don't have to defend their choices to exercise any other rights.

I carry to protect myself, & I will defend any child.
I carry openly because, at present, it's the only legal way in WI.
Even after cc becomes legal in WI, I'll continue to OC when I choose because:
1) it deters crime & is peaceful, rather than requiring me to play catch-up & respond to a crime in progress, which is at best scary & at worst quite violent
2) allows faster access to my self-defense tool (I've never held a weapon)
3) it's easier & more comfortable

I think the whole [FTFY] CCW process in most departments is a joke, because they choose not to issue concealed weapons permits to citizens who have valid reasons for having them.
The "valid reason" for carrying (illegally infringed by the gov't trying to require a permit) is that it's a right.
But you're right, "may-issue" laws are completely wrong, open to abuse, & should be changed to "shall-issue" or Constitutional Carry.

Police officers can not be everywhere, and sometimes we have to depend upon the citizens to protect and defend themselves
LOL! "sometimes"?
Here in Milwaukee (MKE), the PD had a press conference earlier this year where they admitted that their average response time to the most serious calls was north of 13min. (I have a link to the article somewhere in my blog.)
That's after the victims managed to call 911 & report the crime.

When my house was burgled, & the house next door, it took 2.5 hours before a car (2 officers) arrived.
Given that some of my things which I'd left in my dresser were scattered in the back yard, I was pretty sure the criminals were gone, so I went in to make sure the cats were OK & the pistol which had been left at home was still there. (It was; the next day I bought a safe.) Yes, I had my pistol drawn & held at my side ready to shoot.

My response to someone trying to break in while I was here one afternoon was simply to walk to the door to see what the noise was. He saw my OC pistol (in the holster) & left. Quickly. Crime averted, peacefully, in about 10 seconds.

My response to an attempted violent crime against me would take even less time.

Do you think that the mere sight of a gun is going to have a criminal think twice or quake in their shoes?
Criminals say they avoid people or places they even think are armed.
And if you read through the "true tales" thread here, or the news articles collected at www.learnaboutguns.com you'll see that armed citizens regularly deter or stop crimes.

In the city I worked for, one OC citizen was actually robbed at gunpoint by a suspect whose [FTFY] sole intent was to steal his firearm.
If it happened, that's only the second one I've heard of.
The other was in Milwaukee either last summer or the one before.
Given the tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of people who OC every day, 1 (or even 2) armed robberies are statistically zero.

going over laws and loopholes, techniques and tactics to use the law to their advantage
You mean like lawyers everywhere do?
And like law enforcement officers are taught?

The other problem that I had with quite a few but not all OC is their attitude towards LEO's.
Physician, heal thyself.
I have no problem with any person who does a job professionally & without infringing my rights.
I have a huge problem with someone who's supposed to be a public servant, supposed to know & follow the laws, who not only does not know/follow laws, but because of ignorance, poor training, or an attitude of "I'm superior" breaks laws & infringes my rights.
It happens way too often, and good LEO need to speak up to stop it.
As an example, see the real LawDog's post of 21JUL11 about the Canton incident.

I've had several very bad experiences with LEO, 2 of which resulted in 1983 suits (the 3rd is related to the 2nd). No, I hadn't done anything wrong.
I realize that there are decent people in uniform, & there are probably way more of them than there are of the power-tripping jerks who variously arrested & attacked me.
But how am I supposed to tell the good guys from the bad guys?
You all wear the same uniform.

I trust a friend of mine who happens to be an officer,
2 friends who happen to be retired LEO,
and would also trust the real LawDog & Mas Ayoob, though perhaps not quite to the same degree because I don't know them as people, only through their writings & works.

Any other LEO will be treated professionally until s/he proves to be either friendly & supportive of all my rights, or commits crimes against me (at which point I have 2 lawyers listed as ICE in in my cell phone - one criminal defense, the other civil rights).

I hope OC citizens are carrying not just for show.
See above: I carry to defend myself, & will defend any child.
I've read the SD laws, I practice both marksmanship & practical close-range SD shooting.

have been trained to treat every gun as if it were loaded.
As has anyone who's taken any gun safety course.
Yet, again, read various encounters detailed on these fora where officers seize a pistol & mishandle it, including flagging the OCer, themselves, & bystanders. It'd be much safer to leave it in the holster.

you should have the right to have that weapon already [FTFY] loaded!
We do have the right. Some states just infringe it.

I am able to accomplish the goal of protecting myself quite capably by carrying [FTFY] the weapon concealed.
You have special privileges not available to normal citizens.
Especially in CA, that option is only available to a vanishingly small number of people who are not LEO.

carrying a firearm concealed tends to not ruffle the feathers of the non-gun public out there.
OC generally doesn't either.
I've posted in several threads & on other message boards links to videos of me OCing around Milwaukee, in a grocery, in a bank, in a home-improvement store... and nobody ran screaming in terror, nobody called the cops, in fact most people don't notice. They were made with a pen camera, so it's not like people knew they were being recorded.

Last edited:

Hoyt

public needs to be educated

I walk around quite often with my pistol on my side thru places that dont have a sign to tell me not to, or of course I just can not do so legally. Last week, 1st time ever, Smitty at Walmart in Sedalia, stopped me and was concerned about my sidearm. He was believeing it was not allowed and I informed him I carry so as to exercise my 2nd amendment rights and wish everyone would. I want to educate the public about OC so I want to be questioned. I dont usually get the response I recieved from Smitty, which was non belief; he still is convinced on LEO, can OC. I didnt really push the issue with him in the Walmart doors, was in a hurry, and wish I would have, but was not ready for the confrontation from somebody I have walked past numerous times before. Only thing different about me is I grew a full beard for deer season and am usually clean shavein. So the reason I OC is to educate the public, and I missed my mark the other day. Dangit. In Mo. we carry full loaded weapons openly.

always_packin

Please everyone, don't take this the wrong way.

I am a retired peace officer. I have dealt with my share of open Carry citizens in the past, and every time I
have encountered OC citizen I have asked the same question, but never gotten what I thought was a straightforward answer. My question is simple, Why open Carry? I know it is your right, that I get, but besides you wanting to exercise your right, why?

Does carrying an unloaded firearm in a holster somehow make you feel safer, because it shouldn't. I know that you are not looking for a confrontation, but honestly speaking, just advertising that you have a gun is an invitation for someone to either take you on, or make you do something that you possibly should not. Don't get me wrong, I am all for citizens being able to legally carry a loaded and concealed firearm. I think the hole CCW process in most departments is a joke, because they choose not to issue concealed weapons permits to citizens who have valid reasons for having them.

Believe me I have looked at this issue from both sides, both as being a officer who would receive calls regarding people who were legally OC, and from the stand point of the people who were OC and could not or would not get a CCW permit. Its a crying shame that we as americans have to worry about protecting ourselves with deadly force, but that is the world we live it. How are OC going to defend them selves by bringing a pretty paper weight to a gun fight?

It just seems to me that with all the organization that this movement has, and with all it's members that you could not or would not band together to get some of the laws of the states that do not have a rational concealed weapons permitting changed. I understand that as Police officers we can not be everywhere, and sometimes we have to depend upon the citizens to protect and defend themselves, But honestly how are you going to protect yourselves or your loved ones with an unloaded firearm?

Do you think that the mere sight of a gun is going to have a criminal think twice or quake in their shoes? I can only speak from my experience, but I am certain that criminals don't care if you have a gun and order them to stop. As a mater of fact in the last couple of years prior to retiring, I found that some criminals are getting hip to the open carry movement. In the city I worked for, one OC citizen was actually robbed at gunpoint by a suspect who's sole intent was to steal his firearm. After the suspects arrest, he made a comment to the effect that he had seen the OC stuff on T.V. and felt that if he carried his loaded firearm, he could certainly steal more firearms from people who carried them unloaded. It made sense to me! What is to prevent him or other criminals like him from going to an OC gathering, befriending a OC citizen who's gun he likes or wants, and actually using his loaded firearm to take your unloaded firearm. True most bad guys like to take the easy way, and shooting someone for a gun is the hard way, but it could happen. I will never know if in the one case that I spoke of, if the OC citizen had resisted what the suspect would have done, but it stands to reason that he did not bring a loaded firearm to the robbery just to look tough.

I hated getting calls of citizens who were OC and then have to do a 12031(e) check just to determine that they were in fact OC citizens and not some suspect out there waiting for the opportunity to commit a crime. What does an unloaded and open carried firearm tell me, well for right now it tells me barring any other information, that you are a citizen that is legally carrying a firearm. But remember you pay all officers to be suspicious. In the purest of forms OC citizens are not criminals, but all it takes is some smart criminals and then we have a problem. I can show you video after video of criminals either in jail or in prison going over laws and loopholes, techniques and tactics to use the law to their advantage and to lie, cheat, steal and murder their way to where they want to be. No not all criminals are smart, but I hate to say it, if they stay in their business of being criminals long enough, a majority of them learn how to work the system.

The other problem that I had with quite a few but not all OC is their attitude towards LEO's. Weather it is not wanting to submit to a 12031(e) check, or the barbs, jabs, and pokes about "rights" and how as LEO's we violated their rights.... Bottom line I hope OC citizens are carrying not just for show. What I mean by this is if you are going to carry a firearm, weather it be loaded or unloaded, you better have the intent and skill to use it if your life depends on it. Tying up Police resources by debating weather or not LEO's have the right to conduct 12031(e) checks, and field interviews (not detentions!) is only going against what I hope OC citizens stand for, protection of life and liberty.

I guess I will get off my soap box by concluding by saying as OC citizens, you should organize, lobby, protest, hell do what ever it legally takes to get your rights expanded so you can carry concealed or for that mater openly loaded. Let me know what you think. I might not have the right answer, but I can at least i admit that while I might not have the right answer, I am sure it is not the only answer to deal with this issue so that your rights are protected, and LEO's can breath just a little easier. Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. - Lawdog

I Open carry LOADED, all the time.dont have a CHP yet.not really in a hurry to get it.gotta carry somehow!

BigLig45

Lawdog,

Mountain View, CA was, at one time, home. California is one of only a few states that do not allow carrying of loaded firearms. Yes that is a result of the legislature, but the blame is on us for allowing such votes to pass. But this is not the question you posed, so on to "Why I open carry";

Life is the reason I carry, open or concealed. I have no desire to engage my firearm in a conflict, but I am trained and practiced should I have to. I believe that by OCing, I provide a "measure" of safety to those around me. Wether it be .01% or 100% safer is not the point. It is a deterrent to most criminals because it is a stronger threat than most have prepared for. Yes, there are those who will ignore the pressence becuase they feel they are stronger. Yes there are those who will attempt to goad you into a confrontation because you are carrying. On the flip side there are those who will call the police on you because they fear the firearm.

The media associates guns with crime. It fuels their agenda. It keeps people voting for those who would take all guns if given the chance. There are 3 sides to the gun issues. 1, those of us who are responsible, lawabiding gun owners. 2, those who want to feel safer by removing all guns from everyone (except police, military and their private security). 3, the criminals that do not bother with gun cuntrol laws in the first place. To them, these laws create a safer working environment.

I open carry in hopes of spreading the understanding that it is not the gun at fault. It is the person who weilds it that makes the difference.

DaveT319

Kind of an interesting thread that has been brought back to life. Some of the comments are very good. Too bad it seems like the OP is no longer here, based on his lack of posting.

I will say that I agree that unloaded open carry is stupid. I know it was the only option in CA thanks to that idiotic legislature they have, but to me it's not really an option. The odds of you having enough time to load if necessary seems pretty low to me. A defensive firearm should be immediately accessible and useable. Anything less is just for show IMO.

Lawdog brought up preferring concealed carry to open carry so that it doesn't upset the antis. Fact of the matter is: who gives a crap about them? My safety is more important than their delicate feelings.

Then there's the issue of OCing rather than CCing. My position is why should I have to pay the government for the right to be able to defend myself? I don't need a permission slip from them.

The OP also mentioned "having to do" checks on people OCing to make sure they aren't criminals. My question is: has any police officer anywhere EVER come across a criminal who was open carrying? I'm not talking about in their hand, either about to or having just committed a crime. I'm talking walking down the street with a gun in a clearly visible holster. I'm betting not. So why then is there the "need" to stop OCers? You should reasonably KNOW that an OCer is a law-abiding citizen.

Anyway, my reason for carrying - open or concealed - is because it's becoming an increasingly scary and dangerous world, and I want to be able to protect myself and my loved ones, because god knows the police can't protect me when I really need it.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Yeah, the original poster didn't get the answers he thought were acceptable and crawled back to whatever rock he was sheltering under before. I'm fairly sure I've seen that name on Officer.com, but I can't honestly link one with the other.

Rusty Young Man

I will say that I agree that unloaded open carry is stupid. I know it was the only option in CA thanks to that idiotic legislature they have, but to me it's not really an option. The odds of you having enough time to load if necessary seems pretty low to me. A defensive firearm should be immediately accessible and useable. Anything less is just for show IMO.

Lawdog brought up preferring concealed carry to open carry so that it doesn't upset the antis. Fact of the matter is: who gives a carp about them? My safety is more important than their delicate feelings.

I agree. Who gives a fish what others think?:p
I am the one who should decide what the best means of defending myself and my family is, and that decision is subject to change along with the circumstances, but the decision is mine to make. I do appreciate suggestions though.:)

The fact of the matter is that antis vilify guns for being effective at what they do. It's not like ARs and 1911 were made to fling roses and candied sweets. Antis try to frame us and the guns as "evil" because modern platforms are good at what were meant to do. It would be like ostracizing the hard-working employee who is getting ahead simply for doing a better job than the others. I believe their is a system of government that goes along those line. Social-something...:confused: Social-ism?:lol:

When you are attacked, you are already at a temporal disadvantage; reaction ALWAYS follows the action, so you are left trying to "catch up" to the aggressor's attack in order to defend yourself. Why give the criminal an even greater advantage by handicapping yourself with either an empty chamber or, MUCH WORSE, an empty chamber and an empty magazine?
Open Carry is the only way to head off such an attack (holding all other things constant, including situational awareness) by letting the criminal know "I'm not an easy target". If antis would ever watch the nature shows, they'd realize that predators TEND to (read: seemingly always) attack smaller, weaker, or injured individuals. I've never seen an attack sprung on the biggest, healthiest, strongest herbivore in the herd.

As for the use of holsters by criminals: a thug may need to ditch the weapon, so spending some money on a holster is not an option because of cost, and the fact that the holster would connect said thug to a particular weapon.