• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thread merges

since9

Campaign Veteran
It's a very, repeat very common event throughout countless message forums.

So, guys: WHAT'S UP???

Are you incapable of operating vBulletin? Would you like a bit of help from us who've had some experience?

What? What's going on? A lot of us are asking, because a lot of us are feeling like no one is no longer at the helm.

If you're having a difficult time being at your helm full time, it's time to relinquish control to those who can do so full time and get the job done.

Many number of us can stand up to the task. Of those many, I can recommend 30+. eye95 is not one of them.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
It's a very, repeat very common event throughout countless message forums.

So, guys: WHAT'S UP???

Are you incapable of operating vBulletin? Would you like a bit of help from us who've had some experience?

What? What's going on? A lot of us are asking, because a lot of us are feeling like no one is no longer at the helm.

If you're having a difficult time being at your helm full time, it's time to relinquish control to those who can do so full time and get the job done.

Many number of us can stand up to the task. Of those many, I can recommend 30+. eye95 is not one of them.

I am not sure what your exact concern is. This post seems a bit rambling, ending with an attack on eye95. I will address the questions I think I see here in turn.

1) Thread merges. We will merge threads as requested or as we see ones that need to be merged. However, see # 2 below for a caveat.

2) Moderated with a light touch. We tend to moderate the forum with a light touch intentionally. We want a healthy, robust and multi-dimensional debate on issues here at OpenCarry.org. Here you are saying that there seems to not be enough moderation while I get constant griping that I am moderating too much. Ultimately, I make the call on how much to moderate based upon my own perceptions. I can't make everyone happy.

3) Help. I have a number of moderators who help out with the forum. At this time, I do not think I need more.

I hope this answers your questions.

John

SFCRetired

Just for the record, John, this is one of the better moderated forums I've been on since I started frequenting various forums. I will also tell you that the moderation here is much more tolerant than I have seen elsewhere.

IMNSHO, this is all good. Although there are, and have been, some here who were extremely unpopular, they were allowed to voice their opinion until they crossed the line into totally unacceptable (by any standards) behavior.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record, John, this is one of the better moderated forums I've been on since I started frequenting various forums. I will also tell you that the moderation here is much more tolerant than I have seen elsewhere.

IMNSHO, this is all good. Although there are, and have been, some here who were extremely unpopular, they were allowed to voice their opinion until they crossed the line into totally unacceptable (by any standards) behavior.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

This forum is so great because of our members!

John

Ivan Sample

I will say keep up the great work (mods) are doing in here. Even though I check in once in a blue moon-sorta speaking. I have seen nothing but good moderation going in here. Plus someone stated it perfect-for those who are not liked have spoken their mind and been accepted until they cross that fine line in the sand.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hi, John. I didn't mean to come off sounding disappointed -- I think you folks do a very good job moderating these forums!

I was merely trying to emphasize the importance of merging threads discussing the same topic. Multiple threads on the same topic result in forum clutter and confusion. Most folks become frustrated as they're forced to figure out which of the three "Woman shot by City police" threads they last viewed or to which they responded.

vBulletin takes care of the merge; all a mod/admin needs to do is select the two threads and choose the title. I usually choose the earliest one, as that's most fair to the early poster, and subsequent thread-starters should have done a search. That's not "heavy-handed." That's basic i.e. "light" forum maintenance.

The only reason I'm bringing it up is that I've reported several identical threads over the last few months, but the threads were not merged. :question:

Enjoy your evening.

- since9