• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

B

Bikenut

OC'd at Independent Bank and Family Dollar... both in Bridgeport. No one cared... exactly as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlefty

First full day of OC for my wife and I

My wife carried her 1911 EMP 40 and I couldn't resist to carry my Colt Trooper MK iii

Otisville gas station & mc donalds and the hardware store

Davison Dollar Tree

Lapeer Famous Footwear, Khols, Rue21, MCsports, Wal-mart, Dunhams sports

also on other days we have been to Mijer and Kmart in Lapeer

last but not least our favorite place to OC is Arlene"s diner every weekend for breakfast with our kids and they support our choice all the way even tho some of there customers are a little grumpy about it :D

Ezerharden

Open carried at Walmart and Verizon in Monroe. No issues. I was half expecting trouble at the Verizon store based on some peoples experiences, but no one even gave me a second look.

Raggs

Open carried Downtown GR with my wife and a friend and his kids. We ate at the Dog Pit. No comments, no one thrown down, no LEO involvement even when we waked in front of the Police Department.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
my wife and i both open carried all over troy and royal oak this evening:
k express thai for dinner
petco (she likes looking at the kitties)
home depot
meijer
aldi

at aldi we were approached by two separate people who were both pro-gun and pro-open carry. i definitely get a lot more positive attention when i OC with my wife.

B

Bikenut

Yooperlady and I went out to lunch today at the Old Country Buffet on Bay Rd. in Saginaw. I was openly carrying my sidearm as usual and as I had done on several other occasions at that location.

However, today after having seated our selves and while Yooperlady was getting something to drink the manager approached me and informed me that there is a policy against visible firearms. I immediately requested a refund, was given a full refund, and Yooperlady and I left.

Everyone involved in the incident, on both sides, was very polite.

Of course a letter was sent to corporate but be advised that the parent company Buffets Inc. includes the following:

Old Country Buffet

Ryans

Country Buffet

Home Town Buffet

and

Fire Mountain

I'll post a follow up when/if I get a response.

FreeInAZ

@Bikenut - so hidden firearms are ok then? My wife was a manager there many, many years ago. They were a poorly ran/organized outfit then and apparently are still so today. Many of the Ryan's / fire mts. Have gone belly up (Taylor / Westland) are examples.

On topic OC'd recently at a Golden Corral OC dinner with a large group carrying legal visible sidearms. Guess what? No issues as it should be. ;)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
@Bikenut - so hidden firearms are ok then? My wife was a manager there many, many years ago. They were a poorly ran/organized outfit then and apparently are still so today. Many of the Ryan's / fire mts. Have gone belly up (Taylor / Westland) are examples.

On topic OC'd recently at a Golden Corral OC dinner with a large group carrying legal visible sidearms. Guess what? No issues as it should be. ;)

It appears OCB bans hidden firearms too.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/23660-i-called-old-country-buffet-corporate.html

B

Bikenut

I honestly don't know at this point. Certainly using the word "visible" firearms in reference to a no guns type policy would lead one to think CC would be Ok... but then there is the link from Dr. Todd in his post above.

I'll see what corporate has to say.

Edited to add....
Not doubting your link Dr. Todd or the info therein..... yet maybe there has been a change of heart from corporate since 2008...

B

Bikenut

Received a phone call from Old Country Buffet a few moments ago explaining that the "no guns" is a corporate policy. Considering I sent the letter to Corporate only a few hours ago I'm rather impressed by the rapid response.

Ok... now... while it is always discouraging to find a private property business owner who has a "no guns" policy... and I will not patronize any business that has a no gun policy.. and I will endeavor to make sure everyone I know knows it is unwise to spend money at any business that bans guns............. the following needs to be said.

I support the private property owner's right to make the rules on/in their property including making a "no guns" policy/rule because................ just as it is my right to bear arms it is the property owner's right to ban the bearing of arms on/in their property.

I don't have to like no guns policies, I don't have to understand the rationale behind those no gun policies... but if I do not respect the rights of others while expecting my right be respected then I am a hypocrite.

So... I respect the right of the owner's of Old Country Buffet... and the right of Buffet Inc. to make any rules they wish in regards to allowing/disallowing bearing arms on/in their properties.... And I will exercise my freedom to never spend any money supporting their no guns policy by supporting their businesses.

While I encourage those who support the right to bear arms to also not support any business that bans guns I can only make that decision for myself... everyone else must decide for themselves.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Received a phone call from Old Country Buffet a few moments ago explaining that the "no guns" is a corporate policy. Considering I sent the letter to Corporate only a few hours ago I'm rather impressed by the rapid response.

Ok... now... while it is always discouraging to find a private property business owner who has a "no guns" policy... and I will not patronize any business that has a no gun policy.. and I will endeavor to make sure everyone I know knows it is unwise to spend money at any business that bans guns............. the following needs to be said.

I support the private property owner's right to make the rules on/in their property including making a "no guns" policy/rule because................ just as it is my right to bear arms it is the property owner's right to ban the bearing of arms on/in their property.

I don't have to like no guns policies, I don't have to understand the rationale behind those no gun policies... but if I do not respect the rights of others while expecting my right be respected then I am a hypocrite.

So... I respect the right of the owner's of Old Country Buffet... and the right of Buffet Inc. to make any rules they wish in regards to allowing/disallowing bearing arms on/in their properties.... And I will exercise my freedom to never spend any money supporting their no guns policy by supporting their businesses.

While I encourage those who support the right to bear arms to also not support any business that bans guns I can only make that decision for myself... everyone else must decide for themselves.

Odd, we just had an OC dinner at OCB in BC back in February.....:eek:

We were welcomed with open arms (pun intended)

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-Old-Country-Buffet-in-Battle-Creek-Feb-23rd

papa bear

for all of you that think bussinesses have the right to be anti-con., thatch fine but realize you do have the right to protest them also.

that is what the blacks did when they were discriminated against in the 60's

B

Bikenut

for all of you that think bussinesses have the right to be anti-con., thatch fine but realize you do have the right to protest them also.

that is what the blacks did when they were discriminated against in the 60's
Please understand that the Constitution and the all of the Amendments including the Bill of Rights is only binding on the government... NOT on individual citizens. Nor is it binding on property owners who invite/give permission to people to be on/in their property when they open it to the public.

On topic...

Yooperlady and I are about to go have some Tacos and do a little Wal Mart shopping... and I definitely will be OC'ing as usual.

Edited to add:
We are back home and we ate our Tacos and did our shopping and nothing out of the ordinary happened. No drama what so ever. Exactly as it always should be.

lil_freak_66

carried at total yesterday, over the past week ive also carried at menards, not just guns and all around the house/yard and to get the mail(NOT from the post office) all without issue.

today i took the kids and dog down to the park for a bit, no issues, a mason cop came rolling by on my way home but didnt slow down/stop or anything(as it usually is, and should be), had my scanner app running through headphones so i know it wasnt a mwag call, likely just typical patrol.

this coming weekend ill be going to the gun rally at the cap. building as well as the gun show, where i might help out as a vendor again.

xmanhockey7

Saw someone at a Speedway in Angola Indiana OCing today. So far I have not seen one single person OC "in the wild" in Michigan. In Indiana seems like I see at least one every trip.

Dougcr

Open carried at Cabela's in Grandville for about an hour on Sat. with my wife. Just a couple looks from people.

Open carried at Family Dollar in Walker Sat. night to get some things. While being cashed out a guy from the back of the line says " Nice, you don't even have to conceal it?" I turned and told him no sir, it's my right and also yours to legally open carry a firearm in the state of Michigan. He was very interested in it so I gave him this to read and talked to him for a bit
Legal Update No. 86 - October 26, 2010 - State of Michigan . As I gave it to him, the cashier asked if I had another one for him to read, he was also interested in it. I wrote down the name of the site here as well and told them to check it out.

papa bear

Please understand that the Constitution and the all of the Amendments including the Bill of Rights is only binding on the government... NOT on individual citizens. Nor is it binding on property owners who invite/give permission to people to be on/in their property when they open it to the public.

On topic...

Yooperlady and I are about to go have some Tacos and do a little Wal Mart shopping... and I definitely will be OC'ing as usual.

Edited to add:
We are back home and we ate our Tacos and did our shopping and nothing out of the ordinary happened. No drama what so ever. Exactly as it always should be.

don't understand what your statement means to my post. but to let you know you are wrong. the constitution also applies to the states and to individuals. you just have to separate the rights of the individuals. there are cases where individuals have been charged and i believe found guilty of violating others constitutional rights