• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Louisiana lawyer killed by Ark. Deputy

PT111

You can't dress up in cammo and sneak through the woods on someone's private land and expect to not have them point a gun at you.

I can't think of anything I have said that implies I was there. I wasn't. Can you point to something I've written that would lead anyone to infer that I might have been?

I didn't see anything in the reports that said anything about them sneaking through the woods dressed in camo. I also said they approached frm adjacent private property which I would take as not being his property.

KBCraig

I still don't see anything that would lead a reasonable person to infer that I was there. I stated plainly that I was not, and didn't know the facts of the case (in the first post). I also said that the camouflage was supposition, based on almost two decades of experience.

KBCraig

I couldn't stop for any local opinions in Ida, but I did pick up a copy of the local Shreveport-Bossier crime tabloid, The Inquisitor (motto: "If you don't want it printed, Don't let it happen!")

As I said, it's a weekly crime tabloid. The print all (all!) the local police and jail bookings, with mug shots. They love nothing more than when a local celebrity gets busted, and they are absolutely tenacious bulldogs about local political corruption.

As expected, it was their #1 story. The front page headlines:

LOCAL ATTORNEY
GUNNED DOWN
BY ARKANSAS DEPUTY!
WAS HE LURED ACROSS STATE LINE?

SHOCKING INQUISITOR PROBE REVEALS INCIDENT
COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED!

It's a long article, 50 column inches. They don't have an online presence except for subscribers (full $52 a year for online access to their stories), and I'm not going to scan the article or transcribe the whole thing, so here are selected quotes (in bold) and my comments (in italics):

The land was indeed in dispute, and the Arkansas/Louisiana question is still unsettled (at least to me). The land where he was killed was not his, it belonged to another local attorney named Alan Stegall. Morneau had permission from Stegall to hunt that land, but a local hunting club, the Clements-Story Hunting Club, had an adjoining lease and that's where the boundary dispute arose.

The misdemeanor warrant was being served by one Miller County deputy and three Arkansas game wardens.

Evidence uncovered Wednesday suggests that Morneau was lured across the state line by someone who called him and requested him to go out into the woods on Sunday.
Miller County Sherfiff's Lt. Duke Schofield says his deputy fired a single shot from a rifle.

Morneau, who for years wore his western-style gun belt and holsters in public, never discharged his weapons, and neither did the game wardens, according to Schofield.
Morneau's stepson, Joe Ebarb, said Morneau went to church on Sunday and sang in the choir and even served as an usher at the Catholic church in Vivian. He said he was in a great mood that day and enjoyed spending time at his country home near Ida when he heard four-wheelers in a wooded area behind his home, where he had permission to hunt. He said Morneau went to investigate it because about two weeks prior he had an encounter with a local hunting club over a property dispute.

There follows a long exchange between the reporter and Lt. Schofield, about why the MCSO didn't get Caddo Parish to serve the warrant, or simply notify Morneau about the warrant and seek his cooperation. Schofield "would bet my career on it" that there can be no interstate extradition for misdemeanors, so the reporter called CPSO, who said of course they could extradite for misdemeanors. When presented with this, Schofield refused to talk any more, so the reporter called the Miller County deputy prosecutor, Carlton Jones, who also confirmed that they could extradite for a misdemeanor warrant.

On Wednesday of this week, after The Inquisitor made a public records request with the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office for documents related to any complaints that Morneau had made in the past few months regarding property disputes and trespassers on his land, a letter to Caddo Parish Sheriff Steve Prator from Morneau surfaced. The letter was written and mailed, according to the postmark, on Friday, just two days before he was gunned down by the Arkansas deputy.

In the letter Morneau expressed concerns that someone was attempting to lure him "into a trap."

Police complaints filed with the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office indicates Morneau had been having a land dispute with the Clements-Story Hunting Club out of Fouke, Ark.
The reports state that Morneau told deputies that someone had bulldozed fences down on the property when Morneau was at church. It also indicates that Morneau had been in contact with Louisiana Wildlife Agent Frank Reger, who apparently used a GPS to locate the Arkansas-Louisiana line for Morneau.

Two letters were mailed by Morneau to Sheriff Prator in September, which were dated Sept. 24 and Sept. 28.

The article then quotes the letter of October 8, where Morneau informs the sheriff that his no trespassing signs had been torn down, and replaced with new signs at the southern line of the disputed property. He also received a phone call from someone who claimed to have had a falling out with the hunting club, and told him where to find a hunting blind that had been stolen from Morneau, and suggested it would be easy for Morneau to go get it. The name and phone number used by the caller were fake.

(quoting the letter) "...So it appears that they were trying to lure me into a trap. This is not the first time. They tried it last year. It appears that they are going to continue trying to provoke a fight where they will have the upper hand. They will be back this coming Sunday with a new and more extreme effort to provoke a fight. Eventually, they are likely to try something in or around my home."

Morneau concludes his letter stating, "This has got to stop. The situation will continue to escalate until it ends in a violent confrontation. We have both seen this happen."

The reported contacted Lt. Schofield with this new information and asked if the officers lured Morneau across the state line. Schofield refused to answer any more questions, and said the sheriff was "out and gone" and wouldn't answer any questions either.

The hunting club lease-holder, Harold Clements, said they suspected Morneau would illegally gun-hunt the land on Sunday (opening day of gun season in Louisiana, but before gun season in Arkansas), and "I don't know how many times they had been down there waiting, trying to catch him. He was kind of hard to catch. We figured he would be in there on gun season."

KBCraig

There are several plausible reasons for a "good shoot" in the back, especially in defense of another.

I can't think of any plausible reasons for a coroner to first find that someone was shot in the back, then reverse that finding.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/25467729/detail.html

Coroner Does About-Face On Where Lawyer Shot
by Julie Parr
POSTED: 4:03 pm CDT October 21, 2010
UPDATED: 9:16 pm CDT October 21, 2010

TEXARKANA -- The medical examiner in the investigation into the death of north Caddo Parish attorney John Morneau, who was shot and killed by a Miller County, Ark., sheriff's deputy two weeks ago, has made an about-face when it comes to saying where Morneau was shot.

Morneau's first death certificate said he was shot in the back. Miller County Coroner Eddie Hawkins Jr. has now issued a new one that indicates Morneau, 71, was shot in the chest.

Hawkins would not go into specifics Thursday about why that was done, except to say there was a mistake.

LA Confederate

I can't think of any plausible reasons for a coroner to first find that someone was shot in the back, then reverse that finding.

Simple, cover-up. A pro-firearms guy stands up to the JBTs and gets murdered with a shot in the back and the coroner is trying to cover it up for some reason. The thin blue whine strikes again, just like it did for Lon Horiuchi after he shot a nursing mother in the face.

--Note from Moderator--

Conclusions assumed do NOT justify LEO bashing!

KBCraig

I should point out that in Arkansas, coroners are elected positions. They are responsible for issuing death certificates and investigating deaths, but they do not perform medical examinations. Most coroners are funeral directors by trade and training (as is the case here: Eddie Hawkins Jr. is a funeral director).

Medical examiners work for the state medical examiner's office in Little Rock. They issue reports, but not death certificates.

LA Confederate

Simple, cover-up. A pro-firearms guy stands up to the JBTs and gets murdered with a shot in the back and the coroner is trying to cover it up for some reason. The thin blue whine strikes again, just like it did for Lon Horiuchi after he shot a nursing mother in the face.

--Note from Moderator--

Whoever the chickenshit moderator was that left this insightful little tidbit of wisdom...I'd like to point out that nothing in my post was cop bashing. It was a conclusion based on previous events and a long history of injustices perpetrated by and covered up for the LE community. It appears at face value that a similar injustice has been perpetrated in this instance as well.

NRAMARINE

Whoever the chickenshit moderator was that left this insightful little tidbit of wisdom...I'd like to point out that nothing in my post was cop bashing. It was a conclusion based on previous events and a long history of injustices perpetrated by and covered up for the LE community. It appears at face value that a similar injustice has been perpetrated in this instance as well.

+1. Must be JG or another holier than thou type.

KBCraig

Breaking news: I'm not sure how the moderators are treating quoted material from copyrighted sources. I really can't cut much out of this, because it's all relevant. So, here goes:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...mily-alleges-officers-lured-lawyer-int-14.php

Family alleges officers lured lawyer into a ‘kill zone’
By: Lynn LaRowe - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 10/25/2010
An attorney representing the family of a Louisiana lawyer shot and killed by a Miller County Sheriff’s Department deputy earlier this month issued a press release Thursday asking for a thorough investigation into the incident.

Shreveport attorney Daniel Keele’s release indicates a free, confidential tipline has been established that the family of 71-year-old John Morneau hopes will lead to information in the case.

Morneau was shot Oct. 10 on property in Arkansas bordering Morneau’s land in Ida, La., according to earlier reports. Morneau reportedly refused to drop two handguns when deputies and Game and Fish Commission officers identified themselves.

“The evidence developed thus far suggests that John was checking on property he believed to be his and that he was lured and provoked to enter a kill zone,” Keele’s release said. “The persons involved in the planning and execution of John Morneau’s misdemeanor warrants have a lot of explaining to do why they set up a Bonnie and Clyde felony ambush situation in the first place.”

Keele said he does not believe deputies were planning “cold, calculated murder.” Keele said he believes officers watched until Keele was on Arkansas soil to approach him because they could not arrest him in Louisiana, where his residence is, on misdemeanor warrants issued in Arkansas. Keele said he believes the “tactical operation” was poorly planned and executed. Because Morneau was a lawyer, Keele believes he would have “gladly come to Arkansas” to address the matter in court.

Keele said it was common knowledge that Morneau wore side pistols everywhere except “church and the courthouse.”

He said he believes Morneau’s death could have been avoided if the situation had been handled differently.

Morneau was facing charges of first-degree misdemeanor assault and two counts of criminal mischief with harassment, court documents state.

The warrants, issued Oct. 5, stemmed from repeated complaints from the owner of a hunting lease on property in Arkansas adjacent to Morneau’s in Louisiana—the complaints span more than a year, according to incident reports prepared by Arkansas Game and Fish Commission staff and a complaint filed by Shangri La Hunting Club members.

In Game and Fish reports dated Oct. 30, 2009, and Jan. 25, 2010, Morneau was interviewed by Arkansas Game and Fish and a Louisiana game warden concerning complaints from the hunting club about damaged deer stands.

“Mr. Morneau told me he felt there was a magnetic anomaly in the area and he has taken a compass to the area that is considered the state line and it is wrong,” the report states.

Morneau was given aerial maps showing the state lines, and the Louisiana game warden used a GPS to show Morneau the property lines, the report said.

Hunting club members complained that Morneau was destroying deer stands and firing guns toward them when they were hunting.

“Mr. Morneau is always armed with two large .357 caliber handguns,” the reports said.

In a report dated Sept. 26, the hunting club complained that Morneau had cut large pine trees to block roads on the property it leases from Plum Creek Timber. Morneau allegedly painted a line and posted signs on the timber warning that he owns property that is actually part of the Arkansas hunting lease. Pictures of the downed trees and no-trespassing signs nailed to them bearing Morneau’s name and number were provided to officials in Miller County by the hunting club.

On Oct. 2, Mark Sims and James Wolfe, members of the hunting club, reported seeing Morneau destroy a deer stand by pulling it with an ATV and chain, according to a Game and Fish report. They also reported Morneau had fired shots in their direction. On Oct. 5, Sims and Wolfe signed a complaint with the Miller County Arkansas District Court that resulted in the warrants deputies were trying to serve when Morneau was shot.

The name of the deputy who shot Morneau with a rifle has not been released. Chief Miller County Deputy Mike Mauldin said he could not comment because the Arkansas State Police investigation is ongoing.
Published: 10/25/2010

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Breaking news: I'm not sure how the moderators are treating quoted material from copyrighted sources. I really can't cut much out of this, because it's all relevant. So, here goes:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...mily-alleges-officers-lured-lawyer-int-14.php

Family alleges officers lured lawyer into a ‘kill zone’
By: Lynn LaRowe - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 10/25/2010
An attorney representing the family of a Louisiana lawyer shot and killed by a Miller County Sheriff’s Department deputy earlier this month issued a press release Thursday asking for a thorough investigation into the incident.

--Moderator Edited--

Fair Use is simply done like this:
post a excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Is that all? The family wants an investigation?

Claytron

--Note from Moderator--

Is it against the rules to request the mods pull their ball sacks out of their local PD's evidence locker and stop kissing rings?

KBCraig

I stopped by the corner store in Ida yesterday and asked if there had been any updates. Both ladies working there knew Mr. Morneau, and were quite incensed that the whole thing had been shut up so effectively.

They believe there is a federal investigation in progress, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

KBCraig

Well, isn't this surprising?

Four police officers as witnesses on one side, and one dead man on the other side. Prosecutor declares, "Nothing to see here, move along!"

http://www.ktbs.com/news/27590463/detail.html

TEXARKANA -- The shooting of north Caddo Parish attorney John Morneau, who was killed as law officers tried to arrest him in a dispute over a hunting lease, was justified because Morneau drew a gun on them, the Miller County, Ark., prosecuting attorney said.

"This office has concluded the use of deadly physical force by law enforcement officer(s) was authorized under Arkansas law," Prosecuting Attorney Carlton Jones said in a letter to Arkansas State Police, who investigated the shooting.

Miller sheriff's Sgt. Robert Tibbit, who shot Morneau, acted in a "reasonable and lawful" manner, the prosecutor concluded.

Morneau, 71, was shot last October. He had been involved in a dispute with an Arkansas hunting club over his property line near the Caddo Parish-Miller County line. Morneau believed hunting club members were encroaching on his land.

The dispute between Morneau and the hunting club had gotten ugly, with complaints of vandalism. Law officers said three Arkansas game wardens took a Miller County sheriff's deputy with them on Oct. 10 to arrest Morneau for threatening people.

(More at link, above)

Soooo.... while AGFC wardens are LEOs, since when do they serve as the primary agency for warrant service, with just a single deputy along as backup? On which side of the disputed state border did this occur? Why did four Arkansas LEOs wait in the woods just on the off chance one particular man would enter that place at that date and time?

k9lawyer

It Ain't Over

KEELE LAW OFFICES
2800 YOUREE DRIVE, SUITE 464
CELT CENTER, BUILDING “A”
POST OFFICE BOX 303
SHREVEPORT, LA 71162-0303
TELEPHONE: 318-861-4550
FAX: 318-861-4520

April 18, 2011

Re: Opinion by Miller County Prosecuting Attorney
Death of Jean (John) Morneau

The decision by the duly-elected Miller County Prosecuting Attorney Carlton D. Jones now removes the cloak of secrecy due to a “pending criminal investigation”. We expect to receive the full reports, including the medical examiner's findings and the Arkansas State Police investigation, which we anticipate will contain the initial written statements of those involved and any subsequent follow-up interviews with them.

The Morneau family appreciates their courtesy and professionalism of Mr. Jones and the lead investigator for the Arkansas State Police.

Mr. Jones' opinion affects only the criminal aspects of this matter, for which he is responsible under Arkansas law. The scope and breadth of any civil action far exceeds the focus of the Arkansas inquiry. Although it has been six months since Jean (John) Morneau was lured into Arkansas, our independent investigation has turned up numerous facts and substantial evidence. We will not be commenting piecemeal on individual aspects of the official investigation or that which we have underway.

We are requesting that any evidence gathered be maintained in accordance with the highest legal standards; and that all agencies and individuals are completely forthcoming.

/s Daniel R. Keele
Daniel R. Keele
Attorney at Law

P.S. Thank y'all for your insight and concern. It's not open season on TRUTH.