• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eastern WA OC Report

BobR

Pig Out in the Park, nice time, went early (about 5pm) on Thursday. Good food, some great music and just a nice time walking around without being nuts to butts all the time with strangers like it is later in the night or on the weekends. No mention of OMG...he has a gun, or any police interaction. Just another normal OC day in Spokane.

bob

o2ryan

I hate to see threads like this die, as the whole point is to show new OC'rs how non-eventful open carry can be in these parts. I must take some responsibility as I have been underground for quite some time for various reasons, but it's time to come up for air.

I took the last week off of work and did my best to OC around Spokane during that time. Lot's of trips to home depot and spa stores as I spent part of this week installing a hot-tub (which I do NOT OC in ;). Church, grocery stores, gas stations, all while being treated as kindly as ever.

For you long time OC'rs like me, don't forget that there are new people visiting this site every day. As mundane as our daily experiences tend to be, they may be just the catalyst some one near you needs to give OC a try. Drop by your local OC report thread and check in from time to time to let everyone know just how ordinary life is OC.

Ajetpilot

For you long time OC'rs like me, don't forget that there are new people visiting this site every day. As mundane as our daily experiences tend to be, they may be just the catalyst some one near you needs to give OC a try. Drop by your local OC report thread and check in from time to time to let everyone know just how ordinary life is OC.

Great idea! I will do it tonight!

Jeff Hayes

I hate to see threads like this die, as the whole point is to show new OC'rs how non-eventful open carry can be in these parts. I must take some responsibility as I have been underground for quite some time for various reasons, but it's time to come up for air.

I took the last week off of work and did my best to OC around Spokane during that time. Lot's of trips to home depot and spa stores as I spent part of this week installing a hot-tub (which I do NOT OC in ;). Church, grocery stores, gas stations, all while being treated as kindly as ever.

Well said, those of us who OC daily get so used to it that we often forget our initial apprehension.

In the last few days I have OCed in Fred Meyer Wandermere, my doctors office, all over Post Falls Idaho, all over Deer Park Wa, Home Depot etc.

Rusty Young Man

Hear hear!
Hope you WA folks don't mind an AZ OCer chiming in.:)

Sometimes it takes a newbie or someone who's never seen a firearm in person to remind us how OC (and carry in general) tends to be portrayed in the mainstream media: non existent or only cops/bad guys.

Not all OC encounters (or rather, non-encounters) will be posted because we consider them routine. Individuals who are on the fence about OC do cursory searches and get results with YouTube videos at the top, not knowing encounters like that are in the minority (who wants to watch hours of non-eventful carry, anyhow? :p).

It is up to us to help stimulate curiosity and show exactly how normal OC can be, and posting even a small number of our uneventful carry experiences sure helps. I should know, it's what gave me the confidence I needed to OC the first time almost two years ago.;)

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I hate to see threads like this die, as the whole point is to show new OC'rs how non-eventful open carry can be in these parts.

For you long time OC'rs like me, don't forget that there are new people visiting this site every day. As mundane as our daily experiences tend to be, they may be just the catalyst some one near you needs to give OC a try. Drop by your local OC report thread and check in from time to time to let everyone know just how ordinary life is OC.[/QUOTE]

I added to the Whatcom County page today and noticed that there were no entries since Nov14. SW is spot on, we must report, even mundane reports. It could be what that next OCer needs to motivate them to carry.

OC Freedom

Columbia Medical Associates, No one has ever said a word to me about my carry, they do not seem to even notice.

Dr Jamison on North Nevada (Columbia Medical Associates) was my GP when I lived in Spokane, I never did carry openly at his office though. It's good to hear that no one said anything about your pistol carry.

Jeff Hayes

Dr Jamison on North Nevada (Columbia Medical Associates) was my GP when I lived in Spokane, I never did carry openly at his office though. It's good to hear that no one said anything about your pistol carry.

Good people, good Docs, I have only seen Jamison once the rest of he time I see his PA.

o2ryan

OC'd this weekend to breakfast, yard sales, shopping etc. Had a great conversation with a fellow customer at Motion Auto Supply (trying to hide a wheel gun under his t-shirt) about our mutual desire that more people carry.

mnrobitaille

New to the forum & to OCing

I have been OCing for a little over a week now, in/around Connell & Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick, & Richland). So far, no negative events to report, but I have not tried carrying into Starbucks, Target, or Costco yet.

In the short time I've been carrying my S&W M&P Shield 9, I've only had one person comment, as she was not used to seeing me "packing". I simply explained to her, it's better to have it, & not need it, than need it, & not have it. I also explained to her about Washington being an open carry state.

mnrobitaille

Good on you, mate. Welcome to OCDO. Enjoy your stay and do not allow any negativity restrain you. The conversation gets heated and you will have a great time here.

Thanks for the welcome.

I did the paperwork for ownership of firearm on June 20 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Kennewick, the next Monday, went in & applied to get CCW. On June 24 was able to pick up firearm, & the next Monday received my CCW in the mail :D

Since then have been carrying OC, have not really tried doing CC yet, except of course while in vehicle.

Jeff Hayes

I have been OCing for a little over a week now, in/around Connell & Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick, & Richland). So far, no negative events to report, but I have not tried carrying into Starbucks, Target, or Costco yet.

In the short time I've been carrying my S&W M&P Shield 9, I've only had one person comment, as she was not used to seeing me "packing". I simply explained to her, it's better to have it, & not need it, than need it, & not have it. I also explained to her about Washington being an open carry state.

Welcome, stay safe.

Jeff Hayes

Saw a unicorn last Saturday

I saw a unicorn last Saturday at Midway Stop on 395 half way between Spokane and Deer Park. I asked him what are the odds of seeing another OCer, he looked, kinda laughed and left. OC is so common now that we no longer even get excited when we run into each other nor did the clerk who casually said he carries all the time.

mnrobitaille

Welcome, stay safe.

So far I've OC'd into 2 Walmarts with no issues, same can be said with one bank & one credit union (at the bank, just got a few other patrons watching closely, but nothing said). Also stopped at 7-11 with no issues, as well as the local Department of Social & Health Services.

Thankfully I was raised around guns & have previous Security/Law Enforcement training, so when carrying, I just go about my business as if I'm not carrying (except I am a bit more vigilant when I get others near me, that they don't try going for the sidearm).

Jeff Hayes

So far I've OC'd into 2 Walmarts with no issues, same can be said with one bank & one credit union (at the bank, just got a few other patrons watching closely, but nothing said). Also stopped at 7-11 with no issues, as well as the local Department of Social & Health Services.

Thankfully I was raised around guns & have previous Security/Law Enforcement training, so when carrying, I just go about my business as if I'm not carrying (except I am a bit more vigilant when I get others near me, that they don't try going for the sidearm).

I have been OCing for years with only one negative experience that amounted to anything. Don't do the hip thrust look at my firearm, do not seek attention and act like its just another trip to the grocery store and 99% of the time no one even notices or cares. Seek attention and you will likely get attention most of the time unwanted attention. While this is not always true it has worked for me.

mnrobitaille

Earlier today, walked into Pasco City Hall with no issues. Also went into Arby's, Bed, Bath & Beyond, & Chase with no issues.

Currently at Kadlec Regional Medical Center with my wife in the Emergency Department & so far no issues.