Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Prescott/PV Area

  1. #1
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    Hello everyone, as you can probably tell I am very new to this forum. I have been viewing for several months but decided to not register to post until I got closer to legal carry age. I live in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area and am about to begin my OC experience (will be 18 in about a month). I was wondering if anyone that lives in the area could share some experiences, tell me places that are very, and not so, OC friendly. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    Snakemathis wrote:
    Hello everyone, as you can probably tell I am very new to this forum. I have been viewing for several months but decided to not register to post until I got closer to legal carry age. I live in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area and am about to begin my OC experience (will be 18 in about a month). I was wondering if anyone that lives in the area could share some experiences, tell me places that are very, and not so, OC friendly. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I don't live in PV but i'm up that way a couple times a month. I for one have had no trouble in PV. If I see a sign no weapons allowed I'd guess if you have to go in you could just pull out a shirt. Even if you OC always carry in such away that you can conceal without it being a big deal. If you have to conceal and you do it right and keep your mouth shut and no one will ever know. Mind you i'm not telling you to do this the choice is yours

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,094

    Post imported post

    lostone1413 wrote:
    Snakemathis wrote:
    Hello everyone, as you can probably tell I am very new to this forum. I have been viewing for several months but decided to not register to post until I got closer to legal carry age. I live in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area and am about to begin my OC experience (will be 18 in about a month). I was wondering if anyone that lives in the area could share some experiences, tell me places that are very, and not so, OC friendly. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I don't live in PV but i'm up that way a couple times a month. I for one have had no trouble in PV. If I see a sign no weapons allowed I'd guess if you have to go in you could just pull out a shirt. Even if you OC always carry in such away that you can conceal without it being a big deal. If you have to conceal and you do it right and keep your mouth shut and no one will ever know. Mind you i'm not telling you to do this the choice is yours
    Please, do not encourage illegal actions!

    I know it may seem relatively innocuous, but this site does get LEO attention, and besides, we're supposed to be the Good Guys(tm), law-abiding citizens. We need to earn, and maintain, that perception.









  4. #4
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    All of Yavapai County is OC friendly, generally speaking. Prescott is very OC friendly (except the mall). I've OC'd in PV on-and-off for years, with no problems, but I have heard that PVPD is not overly OC friendly (not in the way of going out of their way to harrass OCers, but if they have reason to contact you, they're not shy about telling you their "opinion" of it).

    I've OC'd in Wells Fargo in PV, Walgreens in PV, ACE hardware, Fry's, all over downtown Prescott, and no one cares. You see other OCers from time to time as well (not daily, but not infrequently either).

  5. #5
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    Thank you for the responses. I look forward to joining the ranks of all our responsible open carriers. Feel free to leave any other tips or advice you may have for me.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  6. #6
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    Go to Zeke's Eatin' Place for breakfast or dinner, when in town (No OC though, they serve alcohol). It is great 'home style' food, with portions that are overwhelming.

    I also recommend Left-T's Steakhouse, on the PV-Dewey border.

  7. #7
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    659

    Post imported post

    I have lived in Prescott for about 3 years now and started OCing recently. As of yet I have had no trouble. My favorite OC site is the cluster of stores and restaurants on Willow Creek Rd in Prescott about a mile from Embry-Riddle. No one has even blinked about it. Downtown is also a good place to OC like the guys above me have said. Also check out Prescott Brewing Company. (Don't know about their carry policy but they have the best miro brews in town).

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Posts
    200

    Post imported post

    AZkopper wrote:
    Go to Zeke's Eatin' Place for breakfast or dinner, when in town (No OC though, they serve alcohol). It is great 'home style' food, with portions that are overwhelming.

    I also recommend Left-T's Steakhouse, on the PV-Dewey border.
    Just a note: Leff-T's is friendly to CC (no open carry - they serve alcohol). Had dinner there a few nights ago with my wife, and had a nice conversation with the owner about firearms, open carry, concealed carry, gun control (i.e. hitting your target) and whatnot.

    Good food, too. Get the Shrimp Cocktail appetizer -- the cocktail sauce is wonderful (and sinus clearing)!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Aloha, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    I lived in Prescott for a few years, and Yavapai County by far is the friendliest to OC that I have ever encountered.

    One word of warning, however, be cautious of the Indian Reservations. They are NOT gun friendly and did arrest a friend of mine for straying just a few feet off the sidewalk onto Indian land. (Near Bucky's.)They ended up dropping the charges in exchange for something. (Can't remember what exactly.) The shopping center with Target, Petsmart, Golden Corral, etc..is partially Indian land, but I never had any issues carrying there. (Visited the smoke shop there regularly carrying, they never seemed to mind.)

    Other than that, you should be OK. I started carrying when I was 18 and only had one run in with LEO that was unfamiliar with that portion of the law. A quick call to the Sergeant and I was on my way.

    Make sure that you train train train with your weapon before carrying, and above all, present yourself as if that gun is no more a fixture than your cell phone. Prescottonians won't even bat an eye.



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    If you are ever stopped by Tribal Police, just ask them to call the State Police, as you are not a tribal citizen. If its an issue of being "a foot into Tribal Land" as you say...

    Tribal police a notorious for being corrupt.

  11. #11
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    I've spoken to Prescott-Yavapai tribal PD before, about carrying at Frontier Village. The word I got was that they actively prohibit OC, but that they "can't control CC and don't try to". I took it as that the tribe prohibits firearms on their land, and the tribe PD will enforce it, except at the Village, due to the number of non-tribe shops and customers. They will deter OC, but ignore CC.

    However, IANAL, and this was only one P-Y Tribal PD officers explanation to me.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    AZkopper wrote:
    I've spoken to Prescott-Yavapai tribal PD before, about carrying at Frontier Village. The word I got was that they actively prohibit OC, but that they "can't control CC and don't try to". I took it as that the tribe prohibits firearms on their land, and the tribe PD will enforce it, except at the Village, due to the number of non-tribe shops and customers. They will deter OC, but ignore CC.

    However, IANAL, and this was only one P-Y Tribal PD officers explanation to me.
    That is why it is good to also have a CCW. If you break the law and carry in a prohibited place that is something between you and your creator. All I will say is I can think of a couple people if they could talk would tell you they wish they broke an unconstitutional law

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Peoria / Prescott, AZ, ,
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    ....See my post regarding the Managers agenda at the Bank of America on Willow Creek Rd.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/41302.html

    Other that this one incident, its all good up here.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    22
    I moved to Prescott April 13, 1994, and I have lived here ever since. Born in Tucson, Arizona native; I have lived all over the USA since 1960.
    I have rarely seen anyone open carry anywhere, and in 24 years in Prescott, I have seen people open carry only three times. Almost never.
    I have been carrying concealed iwb when walking on the street six miles per day for almost nine months, without being very secretive about it.
    I have begun the transition to not being secretive at all about iwb carrying Glock 29 with Glock 20 magazine inserted, and G29 magazine carried as spare.
    With small fractions of a second to spare when ultra short range ambush charged on the street once every 20,000 blocks on average, I do not have a spare small fraction of a second to spare to fumble with any garments, especially in the winter. Starting now, not in spring, summer or fall, either.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    22
    I am still getting threatened with bodily harm in the single family residential streets in Prescott; again early this (Sunday) morning. I was open carrying Glock 29 10mm aiwb with my shirt tucked behind the sidearm to render it readily visible. I proceeded on my usual daily route to a residential block where I have never been threatened before, so I pulled my shirt over the sidearm to conceal it. From across the street in half a second, I get charged by a medium size dog that is overtly agitated with me because my ankle is oh so suddenly only twelve inches away from its gnashing jaws. Due to the fact that the owner hurried as fast as she could to scoop up her obstreperous canine, I did not attempt to clear leather, even though I came exceedingly close to doing so.

    I feel undergunned armed with only a pistol.

    Is it legal to open carry Mossberg Shockwave in Prescott? This firearm is 26.5 inches long, so it is impractical to carry concealed. Also, I am not interested in carrying it concealed. I am interested in carrying it open. Therefore, it needs to be in a scabbard or holster.
    Well, anyway, I will be asking the local authorities this question in about 12 hours, in person.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    2,975
    I have dealt with hundreds of dogs in my career as a LEO never had to shoot one.

    Plus who knows how many when I have been running and biking many thousands of miles over the last 45 years.

    Do your self a favor before you end up in jail.

    Get yourself some bear spray and a good walking staff.

    Seems that your are overly afraid of dogs.

    Better situational awareness also would help with being surprise.

    Most of the time a good command voice works well.

    Maybe some training for you on how to handle a situation like this would be more appropriate than another firearm.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 06-11-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  17. #17
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,476
    Richbuff, you might consider instead of upp’g your firepower against another errant animal encounter, at a significant personal cost, purchasing animal repellent which would not destroy or severely injure another citzen’s or family’s beloved pet or champion.

    Please note, I worded the description on what you believed was a vicious, jaw snapping, attack animal that you protected yourself against to what the owners of the animal could present to LEs after their animal is shot, or injuried, etc. Futher, these gentle descriptors could be presented in judicial proceedings as the family seeks repatriation, $$$$, from you for vet bills, burial costs, loss of family/personal companionship, etc.

    Personally, I do not have the financial resources, nor inclination, to pay a lawyer to defend my actions against emotionalised rhetoric in a judicial setting.

    Here is a ‘generalized’ cite on animal suits,
    https://www.animallaw.info/article/w...hot-unlawfully

    Finally, an observation, you have professed to being uncomfortable OC’g now you wish to purchase a LG that mandates the only methodology to carry is OC’g, call me confused.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. Delai Lama XIV

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Richbuff, you might consider instead of upp’g your firepower against another errant animal encounter, at a significant personal cost, purchasing animal repellent which would not destroy or severely injure another citzen’s or family’s beloved pet or champion.

    Please note, I worded the description on what you believed was a vicious, jaw snapping, attack animal that you protected yourself against to what the owners of the animal could present to LEs after their animal is shot, or injuried, etc. Futher, these gentle descriptors could be presented in judicial proceedings as the family seeks repatriation, $$$$, from you for vet bills, burial costs, loss of family/personal companionship, etc.

    Personally, I do not have the financial resources, nor inclination, to pay a lawyer to defend my actions against emotionalised rhetoric in a judicial setting.

    Here is a ‘generalized’ cite on animal suits,
    https://www.animallaw.info/article/w...hot-unlawfully

    Finally, an observation, you have professed to being uncomfortable OC’g now you wish to purchase a LG that mandates the only methodology to carry is OC’g, call me confused.
    He is worried about precious seconds lost in draw time.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    1. I am still getting threatened with bodily harm in the single family residential streets in Prescott; again early this (Sunday) morning. I was open carrying Glock 29 10mm aiwb with my shirt tucked behind the sidearm to render it readily visible. I proceeded on my usual daily route to a residential block where I have never been threatened before, so I pulled my shirt over the sidearm to conceal it. From across the street in half a second, I get charged by 2. a medium size dog that is overtly agitated with me because my ankle is oh so suddenly only twelve inches away from its gnashing jaws. Due to the fact that 3.
    the owner hurried as fast as she could to4.
    scoop up
    her obstreperous canine
    , I did not attempt to clear leather, even though I came exceedingly close to doing so.

    5.
    I feel undergunned armed with only a pistol.







    Is it legal to open carry Mossberg Shockwave in Prescott? This firearm is 26.5 inches long, so it is impractical to carry concealed. Also, I am not interested in carrying it concealed. I am interested in carrying it open. Therefore, it needs to be in a scabbard or holster.
    Well, anyway, I will be asking the local authorities this question in about 12 hours, in person.
    1. Are you dealing with a fear of dogs with a firearm?

    2. A med size dog?

    3/4. Small enough to be "scooped up" by a female?

    5. You seem to give an impression that you would always be 'undergunned"

    6. This is so asinine it needs to be addressed. Using a twelve gauge for a "dog defense" is not protection, it is hunting. The second half is just as bad. LEOs will laugh their collective butts off when you go in to their peedee and make a fool of your self with this.


    You, Sir, would be best served by cutting down on the caffeine, actions like this FEED the anti-gunners and it makes us all (open carries) look bad.

    asinine
    ˈasəˌnīn/Submit
    adjective
    extremely stupid or foolish.
    "Lydia ignored his asinine remark"
    synonyms: stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic, imbecilic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, inane, witless, empty-headed; More

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    22
    Thanks solus for the link.

    We have very windy days here, so that is one reason that spray is not the first choice. I barely have enough time to attempt a physical stop. I do not have enough time to attempt a psychological stop. I need to stop the threat now. That is why I have been gradually transitioning to OC from CC.

    I have seen two or three open carriers in 24 years in Prescott. Nobody wants to OC, because they are too concerned about what society will think of them; "making us all (carriers) look bad".

    I have been gradually transitioning to open carry, so as to not lose critical draw time, as color of law noted. Fear of being harmed by dogs is my motivator. That is my primary reason to OC.

    I have logged almost 5,000 walking miles in a little over two years. I have fired one shot at one dog in Prescott. It was an open and shut self defense case. It was extremely scary, as I have noted in my previous posts, being ultra short range ambush charged by a Chow and a German Shepherd.

    Firearms Iinstructor: I am glad you never had to shoot a dog.


    24 hours ago: I explained to the nice lady and local police that I have only one ankle to support a full one-half of my body for the rest of my life, and I will defend it to prevent any injury to it or to any proximal or distal portion of my body; no matter how unimportant they think that portion of my body is to them. By the way, when I phoned the police, the desk person could not hear me due to strong wind. She repeated this three times while I was attempting to phone in my report. I blurted out "That is why I don't carry pepper spray."


    I will post back when I receive official information on carrying Mossberg Shockwave.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    738
    You could also carry a Taurus Judge, loaded with .410 shells.



    Personally, I've used a walking stick and/or a long sock with a stone in it. Dogs aren't stupid; when pain becomes the reward for unwanted behavior, the behavior changes.

  22. #22
    Regular Member CJ4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    You could also carry a Taurus Judge, loaded with .410 shells.

    Personally, I've used a walking stick and/or a long sock with a stone in it. Dogs aren't stupid; when pain becomes the reward for unwanted behavior, the behavior changes.
    Back when I was in college, I used to ride a 10-speed to go grocery shopping. On one street, there was a german shepherd that would charge out at passerbys, including cars. There was no curb, just a shallow depression between the road and the sidewalk and the owner did nothing to stop the dog. Then came the time when I had my motorcycle and I decided to wear my hiking boots. As I went down that street, I saw the dog in the front yard up ahead and slowed down a bit, leaned forward and stuck my right leg back by the rear tire. When the dog charged, I swung my leg up, catching the dog under the jaw with the top of my foot. This threw his head back and knocked him over, backwards. I pulled up 3-4 doors down and looked back to see what he did. After a few seconds, he got up, shook his head and went back into his yard, a bit unsteadily.

    Every time after that, whenever I went by on either bike or cycle, he would not charge any closer to the street than the sidewalk. He would stand in the opening of his fence and just bark. He learned.
    Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - - Albert Einstein

    A person who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. - - Albert Einstein

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    22
    I met with a very nice, polite officer at the station. He informed me that Mossberg Shockwave is legal to purchase in Arizona, hence legal to carry open or concealed. He did request, very nicely and politely, that I not, because the station would be flooded with calls to report person open carrying the firearm. The conversation was a lot friendlier than I could have possibly expected. No name calling, no ad hominem attack, no condescending content or process in his communication with me, not verbally or via facial expression. This surprised me, because name calling, ad hominem attack and condescending content is the usual when discussing OC versus CC in on-line forums.

    So, I have decided to stick with daily OC rotation of .40 Shield, Glock 29 with 15 round magazine, Glock 27 with 13 round magazine and .45 stainless lightweight Colt Defender. But, when I am ambush charged by one or more vicious dogs, I really would like to have more than a pistol. Maybe this: _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRM_Arms_Model_1216

    But, I will have to settle for OC pistol, even though it is just a pistol, due to immense societal pressure against carrying a larger firearm.

    Well, anyway, I am the only person daily OCing in my neighborhood. Maybe due to strong societal pressure. Everyone else can waste precious tenths of a second of critical draw time to keep their firearm covered to keep their neighbors, friends and acquaintances happy.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ky.
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    I met with a very nice, polite officer at the station. He informed me that Mossberg Shockwave is legal to purchase in Arizona, hence legal to carry open or concealed. He did request, very nicely and politely, that I not, because the station would be flooded with calls to report person open carrying the firearm. The conversation was a lot friendlier than I could have possibly expected. No name calling, no ad hominem attack, no condescending content or process in his communication with me, not verbally or via facial expression. This surprised me, because name calling, ad hominem attack and condescending content is the usual when discussing OC versus CC in on-line forums. ...snip...
    What other rights and privileges did he suggest you surrender in order to make his job easier.
    Last edited by gutshot II; 07-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Phoenix David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    606
    Buy a nice sturdy walking stick that way you don't have to shoot all the dogs that look in your direction.

    Seem to recall a Michael Caines/Kains(?) a few years back, like 2002 spent 24K defending on a dog shooting in Prescott, might be cheaper in the long run.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •