• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC @ Rehoboth Beach

pro2A

imported post

I plan on taking a 3 day weekend with the wife and heading down there this summer. How is the attitude towards OC in this area? I'm usually a little more reluctant in touristy areas. I would imagine there are a lot of NJ/MD people. Any legal issues I should be aware of? I do have both a Maine and Florida non-resident permit.

deanernet

imported post

Ivacation there every summer and the other poster is correct. VERY liberal mind set by residents, visitors and local PD. Since you have a FL CC permit, if you insist on bringing your gun, best bet is to CC, however, be advised that if Rehoboth has a local gun ordinance (which i am ot aware of), as long s it was enacted prior to 1985, the local law takes presidance over the state law (which would honor the FL permit)

Mtn Jack

imported post

That beach is very openly gay, i would not take children there, right down the road is Bethany beach and much more family friendly. Be safe and have fun.

thejax

imported post

I had no idea that Rehoboth Beach was so openly gay.

I been down there a few times and never really noticed anything. What parts so I know to avoid that area?

I mean I am all for people doing whatever it is they want. Seriously. Its just thats not my kind of thing so I would want to stay with a crowd where I have a lot more in common.

Hawkeye638

imported post

thejax wrote:
I had no idea that Rehoboth Beach was so openly gay.

I been down there a few times and never really noticed anything. What parts so I know to avoid that area?

I mean I am all for people doing whatever it is they want. Seriously. Its just thats not my kind of thing so I would want to stay with a crowd where I have a lot more in common.
The south end of the boardwalk is referred to as "poodle beach" but other than seeing a couple of guys holding hands I have not seen much. Don't worry, they will not jump out from behind a bush and "gay" you.
1.gif

FAQdaWorld

imported post

I used to work at Rehoboth Beach as a seasonal police officer (3 Years); I can tell you without a doubt that there is no local ordinance prohibiting open carry in the munincipality. I and several other seasonals encountered citizens openly carrying and we always made contact just to say 'hi'.

Personally I'd always go up to them just to talk about guns and what they were carrying / preferences / experiences (Gun Nut Talk). I know we had several seasonals who would try to badger people whom were carrying (Keep in mind that seasonals do not carry themselves!). When they told me and several of my Sgt's about this it was all we could do to not slap these kids :cuss:, first of all the carrying individuals are in the right, second of all they have a gun and you don't stoopid!

As far as the gay thing goes; Yes, Rehoboth has a large gay population (typically seasonal but not always). Rehoboth however is still a friendly and family safe town with lots of things to do as compared to Bethany (which is still nice just not as many activities in the area).

If you do decide to carry in the area you will probably get some strange looks and maybe some people nagging at you (It get's very 'liberal' in the summer) There are some munincipalites in theState that do forbid open carry (I can't remember exactly which and I won't guess, but they are going to be the larger cities)

rsplumbing

You can legally oc in rehobet beach

I used to work at Rehoboth Beach as a seasonal police officer (3 Years); I can tell you without a doubt that there is no local ordinance prohibiting open carry in the munincipality. I and several other seasonals encountered citizens openly carrying and we always made contact just to say 'hi'.

Personally I'd always go up to them just to talk about guns and what they were carrying / preferences / experiences (Gun Nut Talk). I know we had several seasonals who would try to badger people whom were carrying (Keep in mind that seasonals do not carry themselves!). When they told me and several of my Sgt's about this it was all we could do to not slap these kids :cuss:, first of all the carrying individuals are in the right, second of all they have a gun and you don't stoopid!

As far as the gay thing goes; Yes, Rehoboth has a large gay population (typically seasonal but not always). Rehoboth however is still a friendly and family safe town with lots of things to do as compared to Bethany (which is still nice just not as many activities in the area).

If you do decide to carry in the area you will probably get some strange looks and maybe some people nagging at you (It get's very 'liberal' in the summer) There are some munincipalites in theState that do forbid open carry (I can't remember exactly which and I won't guess, but they are going to be the larger cities)

I was at Rehobeth Beach just over the weekend and i did check the laws in that township before going there and on here as well, I ended up oc"ing and I did have one 55plus year old woman whom I thought was talking to the police and for that reason not being paranoid she was describing myself, my shorts, body, and that i had a gun on my side, and just not wanting to cause a scene in that area we were, now mind you I was with my wife and 3 kids, i walked down the boards ab 15 ft and saw a female and male leos for rehobeth and i was looking for them, i approached them and explained the situation and they very clearly stated that as long as they are able to see 3 sides of my g23 that it is legal and they said that they would like to see more of us down there oc the female was very strong in making that point and her partner as well and i agreed and they were probably the nicest and not pompus acting leos i have talked to in a long time, so with that being said it is legal and encouraged to oc. I wish that i did see more of us ocing as well because its going to be a matter of time before we could lose this right and the more that its seen then politicians and govt. will think very hard about trying to take that right away from us.