• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan open carry reference chart

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

[align=left]- 750.227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged non-folding stabbing instrumentof any length, or any dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on orabout his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle... except in his or her dwelling house[or] place of business... (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony...[/align]

[align=left][suP]This could only mean one of two things,[/suP][/align]

[align=left][suP]1. posession of a knife in a vehicle is a felony,[/suP][/align]

[align=left][suP]2.If a gun is brought into a vehicle, it is considered concealed, yet a knife is not?[/suP][/align]

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I hope youre right, this has me a little worried, I always have a knife on me.

Ive dealt with the cops before, just figured they diddnt know, or diddnt want to screw someone. I just wanted to know, in case some jerkoff wanted to push some BS.

WARCHILD

imported post

The primary concern in relation to carrying a knife in Mich, be aware of city ordinances. There are many varied restrictions enacted by different cities/villages.

drinkoj

imported post

Thank you for posting this as a sticky for those of us that are not from your state, as it covers several areas that I wanted to know about in a single place. I understand that your state is the same as mine, South Carolina, and there is no duty to retreat in a matter of self defense and use a simlar deadly force determination (3 reasons for use).

What about in the defense of others?

I'm gong to be visiting your state in a few months and will be with my and another family in downtown Grand Rapids. I am the only person with a CWL, as my friend lives in an anti-state, and will be site seeing with them and their children.

If you feel this is in the wrong thread, plz move it and let me know.

qqq1

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
We have a serious problem.

I will open a thread on it shortly, but I was convicted for violating my CPL today.

I was OC with a CPL, and the reason I was convicted is because It was my word against anothers that I was OC instead of CC, and the judge beleived the witness instead of me. That isnt the problem.

The problem is that the judge in the case did not recognise the opinions of the attorney general, and the state police liason, regarding OC with a CPL in PFZs. I mensioned this to the judge, obviously, but since there is no case law, and no state law, but only an opinion, he referred to 28.4250 and considered the school/church zones to be pistol free zones wether open or concealed. Several Oakland County officers were in attendance (to their credit), so they could learn the laws in this issue, and this is of course what they will be acting upon. We will no longer be able to carry openly in PFZs with a CPL.
Ah, but why would you ever need protection in a PFZ? Surely criminals would NEVER attack anyone in a PFZ. They certainly wouldn't bring their own guns. Sorry, I'm being insanely sarcastic. This could be very bad. This stuff just makes no sense to me. I would feel much safer with everyone CC'ing or OC'ing EVERYWHERE. Who is a PFZ going to stop? Good people. Who won't give a PFZ a second thought? A crazy bastard that's going to shoot up 50 kids.

mikestilly

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
could someone please cite the attorney general opinion ?

I cant find it.

This?

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10188.htm

STATE OF MICHIGAN

JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM, ATTORNEY GENERAL

CONCEALED WEAPONS:

FIREARMS:

LAW ENFORCEMENT:

PEACE OFFICERS:

Reserve police officer carrying exposed pistol in gun-free zones established by Concealed Pistol Licensing Act

Reserve police officer carrying exposed pistol in gun-free zones established by Michigan Penal Code.

A uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; and if the officer is either a fully authorized "peace officer" or, alternatively, possesses a valid concealed pistol license issued under the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, he or she may also carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Michigan Penal Code.
Opinion No. 7113

June 28, 2002
Honorable Gary C. Peters
State Senator
The Capitol
Lansing, MI

Honorable Mary Ann Middaugh
State Representative
The Capitol
Lansing, MI

Honorable Larry Julian
State Representative
The Capitol
Lansing, MI

You have asked whether a uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within a "gun-free zone" established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act.

Your inquiry is governed by the interplay between two separate but related statutes, both of which regulate the possession of firearms.

The Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 et seq, regulates the possession and carrying of concealed pistols. The Act prohibits persons from carrying a concealed pistol unless they have been licensed in accordance with the provisions of that Act. Amendatory 2000 PA 381 made significant changes to the Act. Section 5b(7) sets forth specific qualifications a person must possess in order to receive a license to carry a concealed pistol and further provides that a county concealed weapon licensing board "shall issue a license" to an applicant who meets those requirements. The Act also provides that a person who is issued a license under the Act may carry a concealed pistol "anywhere in this state" except in certain designated classes of locations listed in section 5o of the Act. Those exceptions, commonly referred to as "gun free zones," include the following:

a) A school or school property . . . .

b) A public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.

c) A sports arena or stadium.

d) A dining room, lounge, or bar area of a premises licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998 . . . . This subdivision shall not apply to an owner or employee of the premises.

e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

f) An entertainment facility [that has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more] . . . .

g) A hospital.

h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university. [Section 5o(1).]

Section 12a of the Act expressly exempts certain persons from the requirements of the Act, including:

(a) A peace officer of a duly authorized police agency of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision of this state, who is regularly employed and paid by the United States or this state or a subdivision of this state, except a township constable. [Emphasis added.]

Under the express terms of this section, a police officer or reserve police officer is exempt from the requirements of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, including the prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon in a "gun free zone," but only if the officer (1) possesses the full authority of a peace officer, and not merely special or limited law enforcement authority; and (2) is regularly employed and paid for those services. See OAG, 2001-2002, No 7098, p 74 (January 11, 2002). Your inquiry does not specify whether the uniformed reserve officer in question possesses the full authority of a peace officer. You do, however, specify that the officer in question serves as an unpaid volunteer. Because the exemption contained in section 12a(a) is limited to officers who are "regularly employed," an unpaid volunteer officer is not exempt from the provisions of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act and is, therefore, prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol in a designated "gun free zone." OAG No 7098, supra.

A plain reading of section 5o(1) of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act discloses, however, that its prohibition applies only to the carrying of pistols that are "concealed." A holstered pistol carried openly and in plain view is not "concealed" and therefore does not violate the prohibition contained in that section. See, e.g., OAG, 1951-1952, No 1388, p 228 (April 18, 1951) ("Should they be so directed by their superior officers, auxiliary police while on duty may carry weapons openly, the prohibition in the Penal Code applying only to 'concealed' weapons."), Cf., People v Johnnie W. Jones, 12 Mich App 293, 296; 162 NW2d 847 (1968); and People v Kincade, 61 Mich App 498, 502; 233 NW2d 54 (1975).

This, however, does not end the analysis of your question. The carrying of firearms in public is also restricted by the Michigan Penal Code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.1 et seq. Section 234d of the Penal Code identifies certain "gun free zones" similar to those enumerated in section 5o of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; within those specified zones, the possession of firearms is strictly prohibited, subject to limited exceptions. Specifically, section 234d(1) of the Penal Code provides that:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

This language is significantly broader than that employed by section 5o of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act. By its express terms, section 234d(1) of the Penal Code applies to firearms generally, not merely to pistols, and applies to firearms whether concealed or not. Subsection (2) of this provision creates several specific exceptions to this prohibition, two of which are germane to your inquiry. It provides, in pertinent part that:

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Similarly, section 237a(4) of the Penal Code prohibits possession of a firearm in a weapon free school zone, a term defined in section 237a(6)(d) as "school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property." Like section 234d(2), the prohibition against possessing firearms in a school zone does not apply to a peace officer or to a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon. Section 237a(5).

If a reserve officer qualifies as a peace officer, then the officer is exempt from the prohibition contained in sections 234d(1) and 237a(4) of the Penal Code concerning the possession of firearms on specified premises. If not, sections 234d(2)(c) and 237a(5)(c) of the Penal Code also exempt "[a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon." A license issued by a county concealed weapon licensing board under section 5b(7) of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act clearly satisfies the latter exemption. Thus, possession of such a license would enable a reserve police officer to carry an exposed, holstered pistol in the "gun free zones" described in sections 234d and 237a of the Penal Code.

It is my opinion, therefore, that a uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; and if the officer is either a fully authorized "peace officer" or, alternatively, possesses a valid concealed pistol license issued under the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, he or she may also carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Michigan Penal Code.

JENNIFER M. GRANHOLM
Attorney General

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
The absolute final copy.

MOD: May we add this to the stickies please.
is this chart the fional chart or is the amended chart the final chart? I recommend you replace this with the most up to date version

WARCHILD

imported post

To those who have posted on this thread: I see it is up to 3 pages.
I have went through and deleted all my "conversation/statement" posts.
Would you please go through the thread and delete any "conversation/statement" posts you have made.
We don't want this thread to become as cluttered as the "info thread became".

If your post contains, information, cites, references; leave your post to maintain the information.

Mike/John: Would it be possible for you to delete the edited posts later to help clean up the thread?

I thank you all for your cooperation.
Jerry Brewer