• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan open carry reference chart

malignity

imported post

Good, but clarify a 'federal bank'.

People are going to wonder if their local National City is considered a federal bank; considering it's federally insured. (I wondered about that for the longest time, but it's not specifically written on my CPL that I can't, so I figure I'm safe :p)

manicdevery

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
This "living doc" is killing me...:banghead:

Here's another amended copy.....:p:p:p

Thanks very much for your work on this document.

on my end i want you to know i appreciate your work on this doc.

Devery

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Lets not forget about vehicles.

Opinion No. 7136 July 30, 2003
CONCEALED WEAPONS:
Carrying of a pistol in a motor vehicles

[align=left]CRIMINAL LAW:[/align]

[align=left]A person licensed to carry a concealed pistol may lawfully occupy a motor vehicle in which a pistol has been left that belongsto another person who has exited the vehicle.[/align]
[align=left]A person who is not licensed to carry a concealed pistol may lawfully occupy a vehicle in which a pistol has been left that is lawfully contained and that belongs to another person who has exited the vehicle, only if the occupant is not carrying the weapon, a determination that depends on the facts of each case.[/align]
750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

If a gun is carried inside any motorised vehicle, (incl. motorcycles, ATV snowmobiles, etc...) , It is considered concealed, even if it is in plain veiw. You must have a CPL in order to carry A loaded accesible handgun in a vehicle. Without a CPL, you may transport a gun for a "[lawful purpose]"only.

[align=center][font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.231a[/font] A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]A 'lawful purpose' includes:[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for thepurpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica"]While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.[/font]
[/font]IMHO the open carry of a handgun is a political statement, and is also covered under the Michigan constitution , Article 1, right to keep and bear arms.
[/align][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[align=left]Right to bear arms. [/align]
[/font]
13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defence of himself and the state.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Lets not forget about vehicles.

If a gun is carried inside any motorised vehicle, (incl. motorcycles, ATV snowmobiles, etc...) , It is considered concealed, even if it is in plain veiw.
Not really - its just considered in a vehicle, and therfore not allowed to be carried there unless you have a CPL or other exception.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Thats what I said.

I thought it might be helpful to point out that for instance, OC on a motorcycle would be in violation, as the law says that carrying on a motorcycle would qualify as concealed, even though you could see the pistol in plain veiw.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
That's what I said.
well i took you literally - your wrote "It is considered concealed."

That's not true in Michigan - but it is in Wiscosin by case law - but in Michigan where statute commands need for CPL in vehicles.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I love the idea behind the thread, thats why I got involved. I see where you are coming from, not writing a book. I too have had difficulty in both understanding the law, and in sifting through threads and posts.

I felt that mensioning vehicles was valid because it not only could get you into trouble, but it is an area where open means concealed from the legal point of veiw. Since we all want a simple guide, I thought posting a couple things in the thread that are likely to be overlooked concerning vehicle transport would be prudent.