• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Carry24/7

LOL! That would have been great. I think this is twice now a stupid person with a firearm has decided it was wise to handle/try to get me to handle their handgun in a very public place. I don't see how I manage to attract the wierd (wannabe) "experienced" people. I dress decent, mostly khaki's or nice, well fit jeans, with either a polo or a decent t-shirt (except for the time I wore this one http://www.badideatshirts.com:80/IM-FINE-T-SHIRT-P2200.aspx ). I try to remain as professional and presentable as possibly, while remaining comfortable. I just don't get it!
Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I once had a Federal judge ask if he could see my duty weapon in the lobby area with people around. I couldn't believe he asked. I told him sorry sir but it only comes out for two reasons. To clean it or use it. I guess there all kinds everywhere.

62 Caddy

OC at BJ's Cary

I OC in Cary and Raleigh, or wherever I go in NC, and have yet to encounter a fellow OC'er. My wife and I were on our usual weekend rounds in the stores, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Walgreen's, etc. and when in BJ's we checked out with an employee who I found was a fellow OC'er and of OCDO. I had my Glock 19/Serpa and he told me of his Glock 22; always nice to meet those with the passion for our freedoms.

rotorhead

It's good to meet and greet and all that, but I'll never touch someone's gun if they hand it to me out public like that unless it's on a range or something. Passion is great, but that kind of contact could easily be mistaken by a bystander who happens to see the display, not knowing what the deal is. It sets the perfect conditions for a MWAG call by people who don't know what's going on.

Dreamer

Considering the neighborhood, I'd say that sounds just about right. Thanks for your service and keep your head on a swivel.

Actually, for some neighborhoods in NC, I think that would be an an entirely appropriate OC rig as well.

Ever been to Greenville, Rocky Mount, or Jacksonville after dark on a weekend? :uhoh:

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
J_oliver...did you ever believe the good folk who "provide dip security in dc" might have been trying to set you up? doesn't it seem mighty convienent to have hubby show up when he did???

wabbit

ps: used to be dip security was covered by treasury...http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/114182.pdf

+1

You aren't paranoid if they really ARE out to get you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

J_Oliver

J_oliver...did you ever believe the good folk who "provide dip security in dc" might have been trying to set you up? doesn't it seem mighty convienent to have hubby show up when he did???

wabbit

ps: used to be dip security was covered by treasury...http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/114182.pdf

Never once believed them. If I hadn't had the realization that he had unloaded his gun almost before it cleared his holster, I can't say (even if they really were working for a diplomatic security service) they would have been working security for much longer.
I can usually smell a set up from a mile away and this had my spidey sense tingling. I didn't start life in the most humble of surroundings, but I made sure to leave it behind. All's well that ended well, I guess.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dashowdy

I haven't posted my experiences in a while but I thought I would post this.

I finally had my daughters birthday at the chic-fil-a, I OC'ed as usual with my glock 23 and two spare mags. Absolutely no problems whatsoever, I even got invited to watch movies later at my fiancee's cousins house even though they told me earlier in the year they didn't allow guns in there house. Went over there later and had no problems at all.

Lets just say it was a good weekend.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Visited Whataburger #15 on Old Charlotte Road in Concord a couple of times in the past week while OC. No issues at all except for one teenager who was curious about what I was carrying.

Ate lunch at The Parkway House on Hwy 29 at Pitts School Road in Concord on Friday, 4/20. Again, no issues at all.

Last edited:

Godscreation

Tabernacle Baptist Church, Denver, NC

OCed in my church today (like I do most of the time). This time though my pastor needed me to lead the music. So I OCed while up on stage leading the music. I didn't think much of it till later. I told the congregation how most churches probably wouldn't let me do this and they laughed. One member shouted "Hey now that you are up there with the gun, you should take an offering!" We all laughed. My father also goes to my church and CC's. There are a handful of people in my congregation that own guns and have CHP's.

Chris Hamby

I OC in Cary and Raleigh, or wherever I go in NC, and have yet to encounter a fellow OC'er. My wife and I were on our usual weekend rounds in the stores, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Walgreen's, etc. and when in BJ's we checked out with an employee who I found was a fellow OC'er and of OCDO. I had my Glock 19/Serpa and he told me of his Glock 22; always nice to meet those with the passion for our freedoms.

Yep,That was me,good to see OC'ers come in though I've only seen three in the year I've been working at Bj's

dmatting

I was at North Pointe in Durham with my wife and daughter on Saturday. They went into the dollar store while I stayed by the truck so the husky pup that we had with us could hang outside instead of in the truck. I was sitting on a concrete base for a light pole and the pup was sitting in front of me. A number of people commented on the dog as they walked by and then this kid came out of the shoe carnival and spotted the husky and just had to come over to see him. He was all excited to see the dog - said he's never seen a husky before and was petting him and going on and on. The lady with him - I'm thinking grandmother - saw my gun and asked if it was real. I told her yes and then she told the kid "maybe you should stand over here with me" - as if the gun was radioactive or something. I told her it wouldn't go off on its own. The kid completely ignored her and kept up with the dog for another minute until he got bored and they left.

What, did she think it was - a squirt gun? And if I had decided to use the gun for whatever insane reason was in her head - what would standing a foot over toward her do? Perhaps this lone encounter she had with a MWAG that didn't turn out to be some nutcase - just some guy with a dog sitting and minding his own business - gave her a different perspective on things. One can only hope...

Shimmer

OCed in my church today (like I do most of the time). This time though my pastor needed me to lead the music. So I OCed while up on stage leading the music. I didn't think much of it till later. I told the congregation how most churches probably wouldn't let me do this and they laughed. One member shouted "Hey now that you are up there with the gun, you should take an offering!" We all laughed. My father also goes to my church and CC's. There are a handful of people in my congregation that own guns and have CHP's.

That is freaking awesome.

FlyBoy276

To FlyBoy276, not having the opportunity to get to know you prior, please give us the benefit of some introduction.

Age, how long you have been OCing, educational background, what type of work you do etc. Always helps to have a digital image of to whom we are directing replies.

Appreciate it.

I am a 26yr old BMWAG :)shocker: :lol:), and I have been OCing since Feb of this year. I am 3 years in to a BS in Criminal Justice/Computer Science, and work for the City of Raleigh.

No, it wasnt an April Fool's joke. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am a 26yr old BMWAG :)shocker: :lol:), and I have been OCing since Feb of this year. I am 3 years in to a BS in Criminal Justice/Computer Science, and work for the City of Raleigh.

No, it wasnt an April Fool's joke. :lol:

Ah, you saw through my thinly veiled questions. :lol:

Welcome to our world, glad to have you aboard. Is there any follow up to the OP?

Thoroughly enjoyed my time in Raleigh - lived off of Avent Ferry Rd. down by Lake Johnson.

Flanker35

well I live in Oak Island....not too far away from southport or wilmington.....open carry regularly......I usually get a few stares here and there and occasionally a few people asking questions about OC'ing.....though I was at Walmart more Recently and did my shopping around and even had a friend who worked there come up and give me a hug and didnt even phase her. Went to subway and ate lunch and got the stink eye from an MP from Sunny Point eating lunch ther, shook it off and ate my lunch. I was on the wy out when i noticed a Southport PD Cruiser full code 3 lights on in fron of the entrance, the officer was inside and I was walking to my car. I got in my car and leftand when I was about a mile and a half down the road an unmarked sherrifs Dodge charger came barreling through traffic full code 3 lights and sirens going towards the walmart I had just left from.....dont know if it was for me, damn good chance it was, but I know some of the officers since I took BLET with them and I will be an officer myself here shortly.....will still open carry and continue to inform people about our rights though.

DocWest8404

OC'd while out running errands with the family today. Only two places that I unholstered was at my daughters school and another school during a meeting for my son. Nobody said a word. Then running to Walmart and ate dinner at Ci-Ci's Pizza on Western. Alot of looks there but nothing unusual. Even had a very pleasant conversation with a OCSD Deputy (who's name I have puposely forgotten to Protect the innocent) regarding the best place to go from my CCW class. Heard from him that the Sheriff himself has a CCW, along with his wife, just to show support for the 2nd Amendment. Overall, a great day!