• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

XD40sc

Walked up to front door, and looked for any signage, none to be seen, but a sign stating to "unload all weapons". I go back to my truck, clear my weapon, and proceed through the door. I was met by a security guard who's first words were, in a smart ass tone, "what do you think you're doing"? I stated I was there to look at their guns, and to buy some pocket knives. He asked if I was going to pawn my side arm, and I said no. He then asked that I leave, and secure the weapon in my truck. I asked why as it wasn't posted. He said it was the owners policy. I politely left with an "anti American" comment. So, if I am bringing you my $600 firearm for you to offer me $75 it's ok, but if I am not giving it up to you for cheap, so you can sell it above retail, then I can't carry. Yet you have hundreds of guns in your "sporting goods" department. I had $400 in my pocket that I was looking to spend on some EDC knives. Not that it matters, but that's $400 you wont get from me. Now I feel guilty for the money I have spent years past on purchases there.

Alan's gives the pawn business a bad name. Went once out of curiosity, nothing but way over priced junk. I was looking at some tools, and could buy new for less than they wanted for some beat up stuff.

Example, they wanted $50 for a Craftsman 5 Gal portable air tank, which can be purchased new from Sears for $32.

I did CC, and I did not unload, and I did not break any law. NC law does not differentiate in anyway between a loaded or unloaded handguns, and since it is not posted as "no guns" or "no weapons", I carried on.

Last edited:

Char1ieJ

Goes to show the guilt was in your own mind. Hopefully this will go away as you OC more and more

Not challenging your assertion, but please explain what you mean by "the guilt was in your own mind".
I don't think what I was feeling was guilt, though I admit I was feeling a little uneasy. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not challenging your assertion, but please explain what you mean by "the guilt was in your own mind".
I don't think what I was feeling was guilt, though I admit I was feeling a little uneasy. :)
Perhaps concern that you may have broken some law or otherwise created a problem for yourself....wariness, discomfort, etc might have been used.

That will pass in time as your knowledge and comfort level improve.

dmatting

He is probably referring to your apprehension about OCing. Everyone has it when they start.

So, yesterday we were coming out of Kroger and a man stopped me to ask me how I got my permit to carry. My wife and I informed him of his OC rights and also how to get his CHP if he wanted to. I handed him a flyer.

Then we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and the kid at the checkout asked if my XD was a Glock 17. I have no idea what Glock's numbering system is. He said was 18 and was wondering if he could buy a pistol. Told him that he needs a PPP from the sheriff and can only buy from a private seller, no FFL. I didn't have a flyer on me cuz I gave it to the last guy!

Char1ieJ

Perhaps concern that you may have broken some law or otherwise created a problem for yourself....wariness, discomfort, etc might have been used.

That makes sense. Thanks Grapeshot! I'm sure it will pass. I'm going to OC again tomorrow...and have quite a few errands to run.

Char1ieJ

Well, I OC'd again today... Pawn South & Murf's Pawn in Whiteville. Also, Wal-Mart, Food Lion and Dollar Tree in Whiteville. Ran across two local WPD LEO's in WM. I felt much more comfortable today. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

UPDATE: 2/25/15
OC'd again today... Food Lion, Maxway and IGA in Tabor City. Also had my first traffic stop encounter with local LEO's. On the way out of town, I came upon a license check conducted by TCPD. I had my firearm plainly in sight, in a holster attached to the seat of my little SUV. Taking advice I read here, I kept my hands on the wheel and informed the officer I was open carrying. He asked where the firearm was located. I told him. He asked if I have a CHP. I told him I do not, but am getting it soon. He asked if the gun is registered. I politely told him that it is not a NC legal requirement. He handed my license back and told me to have a nice day. I smiled and drove away.

I'm adding all the businesses I visit to the 2A Friendly app, too.

Last edited:

solus

another uneventful week of OC'g in freezing, snowing, icy, and finally ending in sun in the town that lost two nuclear bombs in a bog...

I graced the chevy service dealership, O'Reilly's, HT, WW, Sam's, Zackby's, and Mt Olive's Wendy's, with my presence and yes I purposely pull my outer wear up over my firearm so it shows clearly.

so ends another week in OC paradise with the only problem being my gun smithy says my FNX 9 needs to visit Arnold MO for an operation...sigh, five weeks without the daily carry buddy...

ipse

solus

bevell's you pull it ~ goldsboro

well got a surprise today as I walked into Bevell's You Pull it in Goldsboro and was unceremoniously told by the counter personnel (3) i couldn't OC on their premise.

yes, i did the unthinkable, when the loudest complainer pointed towards the to door, i looked and said there was no signage on the door. then this same individual quickly pointed towards the wall, saying it was plainly marked there...i calmly read the English portion of the sign out loud and said, REALLY :eek: can you point it out as it seems i missed it?

then the complainer started with the manager won't let guns in...REALLY? then the rhetoric was put it in your vehicle and come back in....i walked out without saying another word.

I'll send the organizational president a note asking what's going on and if this is truly their intent and what transpires.

ipse

New Member + Experiences

Hello fellow OCer's !! This is my first post, after reading threw the forums over the past month or so i finally decided to join you guys in the topic and share some of my personal experiences with open carrying around the Morganton area. First off I would like to really thank everyone for reporting so much good information on here. At first i was very hesitant about OCing in public, I had read up on my local laws really well so i knew it was legal and all but still had some doubts. This site really changed that for me. You guys gave me the push i needed to get out there and support what i believed in, so for that I thank you :).In return i felt it my duty to spread the word and pick up the torch so to speak and give my own accounts of open carrying. For anyone who is reading this now that is borderline on weather or not they should open carry I would without a doubt recommend you to do so. Its very liberating to possess that extra layer of security for you and your loved ones. My first experience OCing i went by my local Walmart in Burke county. Being sort of nervous about the whole thing i darted in the garden entrance and went straight to the hunting section :). I was there to get a couple boxes of Tulammo since i was on my way to go do some shooting at Springs Road gun club in Hickory NC. The walmart lady was scanning some things on the shelf so i tried not to scare her as much as possible and announced myself at a distance. "Ma'am could i get you to get me a couple boxes of ammo out of the case", she looked down at my gun, then back at me. I threw out a friendly smile and she said "I sure can". Whew. I started breathing again:)
After paying for my purchase I decided to do a loop around the store just to test out the waters, No weird looks from any of the other customers in the store I was very surprised. My heart was flying but I just kept my cool and was super nice to everyone I came across. Overall a very good experience! I decided to walk down the sidewalk and check out a couple more stores, ended up going into G2k Games, guys inside were nice as ever, we chatted a little bit about glocks and I continued my walk. Went into Dicks Sporting Goods and checked out a couple different pair of Oakleys since im needing to replace mine. Had no problems what so ever, ended up buying some Hornady Critical Defense 135gr. So that is my new carry ammo as of now. Pats snack bar is also carry friendly, that was my first LEO encounter. I got the nervous feeling all over again:) he came in and sat right next to me at the bar. I continued eating and i could tell his eyes were on my gun. He never said a word, ordered him a Pepsi to go and left. After leaving there i went down to SmokeFoot Pawnshop to check out there gun selection. Owner was very friendly and appreciated me standing up for the second amendment. I carry everywhere i go now as long as its permitted and I have yet to run across a negative experience. Will keep you guys posted , and will be sure to update the friendorfoe with all the places ive been so far.:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello fellow OCer's !! This is my first post, after reading threw the forums over the past month or so i finally decided to join you guys in the topic and share some of my personal experiences with open carrying around the Morganton area. First off I would like to really thank everyone for reporting so much good information on here. At first i was very hesitant about OCing in public, I had read up on my local laws really well so i knew it was legal and all but still had some doubts. This site really changed that for me. You guys gave me the push i needed to get out there and support what i believed in, so for that I thank you :).

In return i felt it my duty to spread the word and pick up the torch so to speak and give my own accounts of open carrying. For anyone who is reading this now that is borderline on weather or not they should open carry I would without a doubt recommend you to do so. Its very liberating to possess that extra layer of security for you and your loved ones. My first experience OCing i went by my local Walmart in Burke county. Being sort of nervous about the whole thing i darted in the garden entrance and went straight to the hunting section :).

I was there to get a couple boxes of Tulammo since i was on my way to go do some shooting at Springs Road gun club in Hickory NC. The walmart lady was scanning some things on the shelf so i tried not to scare her as much as possible and announced myself at a distance. "Ma'am could i get you to get me a couple boxes of ammo out of the case", she looked down at my gun, then back at me. I threw out a friendly smile and she said "I sure can". Whew. I started breathing again:)

After paying for my purchase I decided to do a loop around the store just to test out the waters, No weird looks from any of the other customers in the store I was very surprised. My heart was flying but I just kept my cool and was super nice to everyone I came across. Overall a very good experience! I decided to walk down the sidewalk and check out a couple more stores, ended up going into G2k Games, guys inside were nice as ever, we chatted a little bit about glocks and I continued my walk. Went into Dicks Sporting Goods and checked out a couple different pair of Oakleys since im needing to replace mine. Had no problems what so ever, ended up buying some Hornady Critical Defense 135gr. So that is my new carry ammo as of now.

Pats snack bar is also carry friendly, that was my first LEO encounter. I got the nervous feeling all over again:) he came in and sat right next to me at the bar. I continued eating and i could tell his eyes were on my gun. He never said a word, ordered him a Pepsi to go and left. After leaving there i went down to SmokeFoot Pawnshop to check out there gun selection. Owner was very friendly and appreciated me standing up for the second amendment. I carry everywhere i go now as long as its permitted and I have yet to run across a negative experience. Will keep you guys posted , and will be sure to update the friendorfoe with all the places ive been so far.:banana:

Wecome to OCDO - yes it is liberating isn't it. Study up on the laws and know ahead of time what they mean.

Only suggestion I might make - a wall of text is hard to read. You will note I edited your post to make it easier on tired eyes. :)

ron73440

First, welcome TheGreatEqualizer, it gets easier the more often you OC.

I haven't posted here lately, but I still OC everywhere I can.

Went to my son's Orthodontist, Dr. Raiken in New Bern. We had a good conversation about carrying and shooting, he has a permit and was a little surprised when I told him I have to OC because I don't want a permit and even if if I could I would not CC. He asked me if I was an MP or had any requirement to carry, I told him that I carry for self defense and he was in total support of that.

papa bear

Welcome THEGREATEQULIZER, here to be known as TGE. Glad to have you.

I know that we here in NC forget what it is like to have the fear in our hearts to OC. It is so common here that no one notices.

but you realize that all the fear you had was in your own heart and mind. It is like thinking it is wrong for you to wear shoes, and then being surprised, no one cares. Hopefully, you will come to thinking, you need to fear, to knowing it is your RIGHT.

Carry and carry always

Vagrant

Well the day and moment finally arrived, I've been carrying for what the better part of a year now, and today was my first situation of someone calling the police on me for open carrying.

I was in China Buffet in greensboro eating some sushi with a friend, it had been the first day I had went out to eat in 2 weeks just because I have been sporting that nasty cold going around, anyway I had seen other people and paid attention so I knew exactly who "called" on me and it wasn't the restaurant staff.

as I started to sneeze a bit and get a runny nose two officers walked into the buffet and went to the wait staff basically asking who was carrying the weapon and then approached me, they asked are you carrying any weapons?

And that they had received a message that someone was carrying a firearm, I simply stated that I was open carrying to which the officer asked me for my concealed carry license, I stated "I do not have a concealed carry license I am open carrying".

The officer asked me to stand up which I did, he got a good look at my safari land ALS holster and my shorter swept hoodie I had on which was above the fire arm itself and in plain view, him and his partner said ahh your jacket, and I said yeah normally I would have taken it off but I've been having a pretty bad cold, to which they simply said ok, went to the front counter and told the manager that I was open carrying and it was perfectly legal, he stated to the disgruntled gentleman that he wished everyone open carried, and that if he had a problem with it he should leave.

The two officers walked back after getting on their walkies to call about the situation and asked me grinning from ear to ear if I had this place, I told them calmly "yes I got this" , he gave me a thumbs up and said if we get another call it better be a completely different situation and hopefully your on top of it.

My first "situation" with police turned into an extreme confidence booster honestly.

nobama

Well the day and moment finally arrived, I've been carrying for what the better part of a year now, and today was my first situation of someone calling the police on me for open carrying.

I was in China Buffet in greensboro eating some sushi with a friend, it had been the first day I had went out to eat in 2 weeks just because I have been sporting that nasty cold going around, anyway I had seen other people and paid attention so I knew exactly who "called" on me and it wasn't the restaurant staff.

as I started to sneeze a bit and get a runny nose two officers walked into the buffet and went to the wait staff basically asking who was carrying the weapon and then approached me, they asked are you carrying any weapons?

And that they had received a message that someone was carrying a firearm, I simply stated that I was open carrying to which the officer asked me for my concealed carry license, I stated "I do not have a concealed carry license I am open carrying".

The officer asked me to stand up which I did, he got a good look at my safari land ALS holster and my shorter swept hoodie I had on which was above the fire arm itself and in plain view, him and his partner said ahh your jacket, and I said yeah normally I would have taken it off but I've been having a pretty bad cold, to which they simply said ok, went to the front counter and told the manager that I was open carrying and it was perfectly legal, he stated to the disgruntled gentleman that he wished everyone open carried, and that if he had a problem with it he should leave.

The two officers walked back after getting on their walkies to call about the situation and asked me grinning from ear to ear if I had this place, I told them calmly "yes I got this" , he gave me a thumbs up and said if we get another call it better be a completely different situation and hopefully your on top of it.

My first "situation" with police turned into an extreme confidence booster honestly.

This is Awesome!! My hats off the LEOs. And yes the bed-wetter should leave, to another state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Entered into the running for "Best Report of the day" NC category. Predict you will win! Then on to the nationals. :)

WalkingWolf

A big thumbs up!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! Very proud to be a part of the family here! And it has got alot easier dealing with the anxiety that comes along with OC. I've since learned the laws front and back and now have alot more confidence. You guys are right, becomes easier with time. Most people seem to a: not notice or b: don't care. Was getting some lunch in subway yesterday and two LEOs walked in shortly after I sat down to eat. My strong side facing the isle, there's no doubt they did not notice my g19. Thinking someone had called in on me, I prepared my answers and got ready for my first encounter. They ended up being there for Lunch, both ordered and sat down to eat. Finished eating with a smile on my face and continued my day. Truly is a great feeling.