• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Custodian

Say what now?

If it will make you feel any better, we'll trade governors with you and throw in Joe Morrissey free. :)
No, no, no you elected him, you can keep him. I happen to like our present Gov. even if he is a Charlotte man

Can't say I know a thing about Morrissey, cause I don't.

However, McCrory. Hmm. McCrory. Well, he's pretty much a RINO.

Getting moist n misty-eyed over Jim Hunt? Really? Jim Hunt? What the hell? Hunt the favorited governor, is the probably not so first in a long line of Democrat so-called education governors.
Looking the other way when it comes to Duke/Progress energy.
And siding with an even bigger RINO nee Blue state liberal statist Democrat, Steve Troxler when it came to CC at the State Fair.
Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens...needs to be booted from his court room and be stripped of any powers or privileges, for willfully sidestepping what is a clearly written general statute.
I wonder is Dan Forrest a RINO too, hard to say at this moment, I think.

If these are our elected NC Republicans, we obviously need to send them right back down to Charlotte, the Containment Area, Wilmington, Durham, or Asheville or whatever blue space they came from and let em rot there.

Vote out Troxler and McCrory in 2016. We need real freedom-loving, libertarians disguised as Republicans, as the Tea Party Intended!!!

Last edited:

325rto

But...

this afternoon...

I was gawking, looking, and perusing at Fuquay Guns & Gold, and of course, I saw people, in the area, open carry handguns as well as REAL (non-folding) knives in some of the most beautiful holsters I've seen this side of Mississippi. (assuming I've ever been on the other side, which I haven't been)

Does anyone go to Sovereign Guns anymore? Fuquay, Jim's and ever so often PDHSC or Lawman's is pretty much all I go to in the the Triangle-ish area.

I stopped in Sovereign Guns this past week. Bought some 22lr. Had a nice conversation with the old timer there.

Last edited:

razor_baghdad

My biggest question is what should my response be if I'm ever stopped by a LEO? if stopped on foot and asked if I have a permit for my firearm, do I simply say no sir/ma'am I do not need one?

I love exercising the 2nd and carry for the protection of myself and family. Love the Tarheel state and also go Tarheels :) Thanks guys!

I didn't see any answers to the above question so here goes: NC is NOT a "stop and identify" state. OC is NOT Probable Cause to stop you and question you and demand ID.

OC is LEGAL in NC because there are no laws making it illegal, therefore RAS cannot be met by the PD/LEA/LEO to question you as to why you are OCing. Ask if you are being detained or arrested and if the answer is "no", tell them to have a nice day and leave. "They" will not like "no thanks" as your answer but they still do not have PC/RAS. Above all, be as courteous as possible given this stressful ILLEGAL attempt at intimidating you.

More info (there are also various threads on OC.org)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yesterday was a mixed bag of OC, when it wasn't blistering cold in the Garner, Cary, Knightdale, Fuquay-Varina area, but I ended up CC'ing as the night swept over the Carolinian landscape.
Many fond memories there.

Street and back road racing was king. Wish I still had the ol' Pontiac, a Moon Pie, and an RC cola.

BlowMonkey5

OC'ed in Bojangles on Capital Blvd. this morning, just like every Friday. Nobody batted an eye, just like every Friday. Chicken and cheese biscuits are awesome.

dmatting

Does anyone know what the corporate policy is for Dollar Tree regarding open carry? I've open carried in many Dollar Trees but the manager of the one in Durham down at the intersection of 54/55 didn't want me OCing in the store. I was on a spousal mission which will preempt any notions of decrying the hoplophobia and storming out so I just put my coat over it because her reason was that she didn't want anyone to "freak out". Anyway, I was about to write an email to corporate but was wondering if anyone already knew what their policy was.

Thanks

WalkingWolf

Does anyone know what the corporate policy is for Dollar Tree regarding open carry? I've open carried in many Dollar Trees but the manager of the one in Durham down at the intersection of 54/55 didn't want me OCing in the store. I was on a spousal mission which will preempt any notions of decrying the hoplophobia and storming out so I just put my coat over it because her reason was that she didn't want anyone to "freak out". Anyway, I was about to write an email to corporate but was wondering if anyone already knew what their policy was.

Thanks

I have OC'd in DT a fair number of times, nobody bats an eye. I would guess you ran into a anti manager.

bc.cruiser

Been to Dollar Tree in Spring Lake and Fayetteville numerous times without anything more than question from a customer about which make of 1911 I was carrying.

Today: Tom Johnson RV in Concord, Wendy's (Wadesboro and Mathews), Food Lion in Raeford. A 5 yr old girl saw the RIA and said "You've got a gun. Neat!" Probably nobody else noticed.

reroka

OC'ed while riding my bike yesterday. I rode from Timberlake to Raleigh to grab some items at wal-mart. The Wal-mart in my town had been out. Went in to Wal-mart boght the items I needed to go and shoot my 40 cal S&M. No look, nothing happen.

I was nervus for no reason. No one said a thing and I was in wal-mart for about 30 mins. Kinda of sucked.

I did get a few looks while riding down Duke St going to Yanceyvill to shoot. Other than that nothing. Every Uneventful.

Horsegal984

First Police Encounter

Well, had my first interaction with the police tonight while OCing. Was heading out for a quick trip to WalMart and got rear ended at a stop sign. Was a little put off by that whole situation so rely didn't give much thought about my sidearm until the police arrived. The first officer on scene was more concerned about if my dog was in the crate in the back and left when the second cruiser/officer arrived. The second officer called me over to his cruiser while he filled out the report and joked about when his wife backed into his car.

Turned out to be a total non event as neither officer ever even mentioned the fact I was carrying, which I count as a positive encounter!

( I think the guy who hit me probably noticed, as he calmed down quickly and quit yelling and punching the car aftery strong side was facing him. Whether it was the OC or he just realized he was overreacting I'm very glad to both have been carrying and that he called down, I was getting very anxious by his reaction.)

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Turned out to be a total non event as neither officer ever even mentioned the fact I was carrying, which I count as a positive encounter!

( I think the guy who hit me probably noticed, as he calmed down quickly and quit yelling and punching the car aftery strong side was facing him. Whether it was the OC or he just realized he was overreacting I'm very glad to both have been carrying and that he called down, I was getting very anxious by his reaction.)

Greetings from sunny, dry Tucson, and glad you had a good OC LEO encounter (the best encounter is no encounter, as far as OC is concerned).:)

More than likely the man was simply taken aback at seeing an armed citizen; I'd be willing to bet the extent of his knowledge on the subject was limited to what Hollywood and the media told him.:confused:

papa bear

Well, had my first interaction with the police tonight while OCing. Was heading out for a quick trip to WalMart and got rear ended at a stop sign. Was a little put off by that whole situation so rely didn't give much thought about my sidearm until the police arrived. The first officer on scene was more concerned about if my dog was in the crate in the back and left when the second cruiser/officer arrived. The second officer called me over to his cruiser while he filled out the report and joked about when his wife backed into his car.

Turned out to be a total non event as neither officer ever even mentioned the fact I was carrying, which I count as a positive encounter!

I don't know why the guy that rear ended you was not more apologetic to you. don't know why he would be mad at you since it was his fault, duh
but goes to show an armed society is a polite society

but that is Normal LEO reaction in NC thanks to the people that carry all the time. you guys from other states might want to note that

Last edited:

tiggy1190

Alans Pawn in Asheville is Anti OC/CC

Walked up to front door, and looked for any signage, none to be seen, but a sign stating to "unload all weapons". I go back to my truck, clear my weapon, and proceed through the door. I was met by a security guard who's first words were, in a smart ass tone, "what do you think you're doing"? I stated I was there to look at their guns, and to buy some pocket knives. He asked if I was going to pawn my side arm, and I said no. He then asked that I leave, and secure the weapon in my truck. I asked why as it wasn't posted. He said it was the owners policy. I politely left with an "anti American" comment. So, if I am bringing you my $600 firearm for you to offer me $75 it's ok, but if I am not giving it up to you for cheap, so you can sell it above retail, then I can't carry. Yet you have hundreds of guns in your "sporting goods" department. I had $400 in my pocket that I was looking to spend on some EDC knives. Not that it matters, but that's $400 you wont get from me. Now I feel guilty for the money I have spent years past on purchases there.

SovereigntyOrDeath

Thanks

Not sure, but I have OC'd several times at Dollar Tree and no issues.

Liberty-or-Death

Walked up to front door, and looked for any signage, none to be seen, but a sign stating to "unload all weapons". I go back to my truck, clear my weapon, and proceed through the door. I was met by a security guard who's first words were, in a smart ass tone, "what do you think you're doing"? I stated I was there to look at their guns, and to buy some pocket knives. He asked if I was going to pawn my side arm, and I said no. He then asked that I leave, and secure the weapon in my truck. I asked why as it wasn't posted. He said it was the owners policy. I politely left with an "anti American" comment. So, if I am bringing you my $600 firearm for you to offer me $75 it's ok, but if I am not giving it up to you for cheap, so you can sell it above retail, then I can't carry. Yet you have hundreds of guns in your "sporting goods" department. I had $400 in my pocket that I was looking to spend on some EDC knives. Not that it matters, but that's $400 you wont get from me. Now I feel guilty for the money I have spent years past on purchases there.
Next time, say yes, you intend to pawn it. Then change your mind after speaking to the owner to confirm what his policy is.

Char1ieJ

OC'd in Columbus County for the first time today

So, I OC'd for the first time today. Took my CS45 out with me to run errands. Stopped at the following businesses...
CHADBOURN:
Fowler's Gas - Good :)
Sam's Pit Stop - Signage, so I didn't go in :mad:
Food Lion - Good; one employee gave me a 2nd look :)
Pawn South - Welcomed :D

TABOR CITY:
Marathon Gas - Good :)
McDonald's - THIS is the story! :arrow:

With the exception of Sam's Pit Stop in Chadbourn, nothing odd happened...until I got to McDonald's in Tabor City. I was on the way to take some photos with a friend and was about to lock my firearm up when my stomach told me it was time to visit the restroom. I went over to McDonald's (for the obvious purpose). When I arrived, I noticed two of the local police Tahoe's in parking lot. Oh well, when you gotta go, you gotta go. So, I made the mistake of not even looking for signage -- and just walked in on the way to the bathroom.

Just inside the door were 3 LEO's, the local newspaper editor and all the McDonald's management. A few of them recognized me and said, "Hello". I smiled and waved and went straight on to the restroom. Upon exiting, I smiled and walked on out -- not wanting to test the waters too deeply (questions, etc). BUT, I forgot to check for signage again! So, I spun around after exiting the main door and looked for signage. Thankfully, there was none. However, I could see through the window that the entourage near the front door were all looking my way.

Since I know some of them, I decided it would look weird for me not to speak, and to turn around and walk away at this point. Back in I go to shake hands with the newspaper editor and the McD's manager. We chat for a few seconds. I acknowledge the officers, who nod back. Then, I excuse myself and head out. TOTAL NON-INCIDENT, but one that made me a little nervous just because it was my first time ever OCing.

All-in-all, a very good first experience OCing in North Carolina.

papa bear

So, I OC'd for the first time today. Took my CS45 out with me to run errands. Stopped at the following businesses...
CHADBOURN:
Fowler's Gas - Good :)
Sam's Pit Stop - Signage, so I didn't go in :mad:
Food Lion - Good; one employee gave me a 2nd look :)

TABOR CITY:
Marathon Gas - Good :)
McDonald's - THIS is the story! :arrow:

With the exception of Sam's Pit Stop in Chadbourn, nothing odd happened...until I got to McDonald's in Tabor City. I was on the way to take some photos with a friend and was about to lock my firearm up when my stomach told me it was time to visit the restroom. I went over to McDonald's (for the obvious purpose). When I arrived, I noticed two of the local police Tahoe's in parking lot. Oh well, when you gotta go, you gotta go. So, I made the mistake of not even looking for signage -- and just walked in on the way to the bathroom.

Just inside the door were 3 LEO's, the local newspaper editor and all the McDonald's management. A few of them recognized me and said, "Hello". I smiled and waved and went straight on to the restroom. Upon exiting, I smiled and walked on out -- not wanting to test the waters too deeply (questions, etc). BUT, I forgot to check for signage again! So, I spun around after exiting the main door and looked for signage. Thankfully, there was none. However, I could see through the window that the entourage near the front door were all looking my way.

Since I know some of them, I decided it would look weird for me not to speak, and to turn around and walk away at this point. Back in I go to shake hands with the newspaper editor and the McD's manager. We chat for a few seconds. I acknowledge the officers, who nod back. Then, I excuse myself and head out. TOTAL NON-INCIDENT, but one that made me a little nervous just because it was my first time ever OCing.

All-in-all, a very good first experience OCing in North Carolina.

Goes to show the guilt was in your own mind. Hopefully this will go away as you OC more and more