• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

davidmcbeth

Banned
I completely agree with you and have mine for traveling as well... it should be constitutional carry nation wide. Problem solved, but even some of these "pro gun" people that have a business based around selling the permission cards are against anything having to do with constitutional carry, and thus the crack head lurker rumors begin.

Money to be made ? Say it ain't so !

drsysadmin

Normally I don't post my open carry experiences, but this last weekend was a little different. I have 2 kids, neither has ever fired a handgun before. Since my angel is looking for a handgun as well, I figured I would take the entire family to the range. It went well, though my girl didn't like either my primary or the one she rented to test. My daughter (age 10) wants to wait a couple more years before she goes back - she didn't like the "kick" but she still did really well. My son had a blast and learned a lot. All in all - a good day. On the way home we stopped at a couple of grocery stores (the first didn't have sliced smoked gouda - the things we do for our families...) and I carried in both. The first - Food Lion in Mills River, didn't even get a second glance except for one manager who simply watched me shop for a bit and then decided I must not be a nutcase. Went to the "new" Ingles right up the road in Mills River afterward, and while I did get a number of looks and a question from the young man during checkout, there were no problems.

The young man asked if I was "undercover" or an "investigator". I replied "no, just a man with a family worth protecting". He sputtered a bit then said "well, my dad carries to." I replied "Good! The more law abiding citizens that do, the more normal it becomes and the safer we all are." He asked how that was possible, so we discussed the deterrent perspective and then I added "and if you don't use a right, you are likely to lose it.". That seemed to register - which is as good of an outcome as I could have hoped for.

Custodian

All Quiet in my neck of the woods

I've been quiet(ly assuming a larger handgun collection before I get into rifles again)

Trips into: Henderson, Wake Forest, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, Raleigh, and the scorn-worthy Containment Area.

No issues, except, of course, in the containment area. Idiots <2 people looking for work from> from New Jersey, who said I should be arrested (I was OC'ing my S&W M&P 9Longslide). I told them I can't take anyone seriously from a state where you can't even pump your own gasoline. (Also, its where my ex-wife is from, ugh) Before welcoming them to the real United States.

EDC:

S&W M&P 9L (Duty) or S&W M&P 9c (Chivalry) or S&W M&P 9 Shield (Treachery)
and
Tac-Force speedster model collector's edition spring assisted karambit

PLUR

Another one from Eden:

Went into the Sheetz on highway 14 last night around 1-2am for a late supper and some things I needed for the house. Saw a local squad car when I pulled in and assumed it was the regular guys. When I went inside it was two younger guys that I hadn't seen before, they were getting something to eat as well. It was just me, them, and the employees in there at the time given the hour (after the nigh rush, before the breakfast rush).

Anyway I ordered my food and stood next to them while they were ordering theirs. I don't think they noticed the gun at first but they did eventually. I didn't speak with them but overheard them talking about it.

They didn't stop me or ask any questions.

So far the Eden guys seem to not bother people that OC. I passed several squad cars on the way out of town (some local, some county) and got the impression that they were busy last night looking for someone in the area. It was unusual enough that I took notice of it (I spend a lot of time in the area).

Anyway if y'all are passing through the Sheetz seems to be a good place to stop for gas and whatever else you might need. I also went into the Wal-Mart last night afterwards to pay my phone bill. No issues there although I've come to expect that from Wal-Mart.

Custodian

This might be a no-brainer

But...

this afternoon...

I was gawking, looking, and perusing at Fuquay Guns & Gold, and of course, I saw people, in the area, open carry handguns as well as REAL (non-folding) knives in some of the most beautiful holsters I've seen this side of Mississippi. (assuming I've ever been on the other side, which I haven't been)

Does anyone go to Sovereign Guns anymore? Fuquay, Jim's and ever so often PDHSC or Lawman's is pretty much all I go to in the the Triangle-ish area.

Lanesd9ve

Excuse me if I'm in the wrong place here but looking for some quick info.
I live in Stanley NC, open carry everywhere I go (that isn't posted of course). I'm 20 years old (turn 21 this May) and far from the "20 year old punk" lol I make every effort to abide by the law and am currently working on becoming a LEO.

My biggest question is what should my response be if I'm ever stopped by a LEO? if stopped on foot and asked if I have a permit for my firearm, do I simply say no sir/ma'am I do not need one?
Also if I'm stopped in my vehicle while the firearm is in my retention holster on my side, keep my hands on the steering while at all times, inform the officer that I have a firearm in the vehicle, am I missing anything?

I love exercising the 2nd and carry for the protection of myself and family. Love the Tarheel state and also go Tarheels :) Thanks guys!

WalkingWolf

Excuse me if I'm in the wrong place here but looking for some quick info.
I live in Stanley NC, open carry everywhere I go (that isn't posted of course). I'm 20 years old (turn 21 this May) and far from the "20 year old punk" lol I make every effort to abide by the law and am currently working on becoming a LEO.

My biggest question is what should my response be if I'm ever stopped by a LEO? if stopped on foot and asked if I have a permit for my firearm, do I simply say no sir/ma'am I do not need one?
Also if I'm stopped in my vehicle while the firearm is in my retention holster on my side, keep my hands on the steering while at all times, inform the officer that I have a firearm in the vehicle, am I missing anything?

I love exercising the 2nd and carry for the protection of myself and family. Love the Tarheel state and also go Tarheels :) Thanks guys!

How about "I wanna be a LEO"~~sorry just kidding, don't say that. Best thing to if stopped by a LEO is keep your big mouth shut, within reason. Most cops know of the US V Black ruling and presence of a open carried firearm is not RAS of a crime. OC is pretty common here, sometimes you might get the stink eye, but usually the cops here will not bother you.

Lanesd9ve

I figure I won't be bothered, been all over the place and never had a word said. Never give them a reason to pull me over either. I just know that a rookie will say something and most likely over react to the situation. Guess the best I can do is stay calm and cooperate without digging a hole for myself. I constantly research the laws so I can stay within the law and not give a reason to be confronted. Just trying to see what you guys have said in the situation if you've been there.

I guess my biggest concern is when I'm in my truck driving. If I keep it in my holster is that considered cc since no one can see it? I hate setting it somewhere that it can slide around and move. I've read the OC law when it's in the vehicle but it's sort of gray area for me. Before my brother got his CC he got pulled over for a tail light out, had his firearm on the center console but the LEO told him that it wasn't in plain view? This is what worries me the most.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I figure I won't be bothered, been all over the place and never had a word said. Never give them a reason to pull me over either. I just know that a rookie will say something and most likely over react to the situation. Guess the best I can do is stay calm and cooperate without digging a hole for myself. I constantly research the laws so I can stay within the law and not give a reason to be confronted. Just trying to see what you guys have said in the situation if you've been there.

I guess my biggest concern is when I'm in my truck driving. If I keep it in my holster is that considered cc since no one can see it? I hate setting it somewhere that it can slide around and move. I've read the OC law when it's in the vehicle but it's sort of gray area for me. Before my brother got his CC he got pulled over for a tail light out, had his firearm on the center console but the LEO told him that it wasn't in plain view? This is what worries me the most.
Open carry in NC is legal because there is no law against it. That's the BEST kind of freedom.

WalkingWolf

I have been stopped by DOT in a commercial truck with a gun on my hip. They never have said a thing about it, like it wasn't even there. Unless you are breaking traffic laws most likely your only stops will be by NCDOT. Note firearms are not allowed on port authority property, but they never search. Firearms are not allowed on military installations, and sometimes they do search. I have heard rumors that truckers put their guns in the chain box covered by rusty chains, but only rumors. Don't know anything personally about it, and it would be against rules to suggest such a thing. And if you ever hear those rumors you should not do it.

dmatting

This isn't really an NC experience - more like a VA experience, but we went to Charleston, WV, yesterday to transact some business. We got there via I-77, which took us through the tail end of Virginia. A little bit prior to the WV line, we stopped at a Pilot truck stop. It was funny that the guy didn't ask me but instead asked my wife about me carrying my pistol openly. Told him that VA, NC, WV, were all OC friendly. He said he was from Texas and had his permit but didn't know that open carry was good to go up here. Told him to check out opencarry.org - I'm glad the website url is fairly simple - no need to write it down.

Oh, and since we went to Charleston, I figured I had to conceal. I read something about WV being a good OC state but that a Charleston OC ban was grandfathered in. Didn't really matter too much, I guess since we were there for no more than an hour.

bc.cruiser

Is this a 'heavy' truck, or a pickup?

papa bear

No its a just a pickup, sorry for the confusion! I should have explained instead of just saying a truck.

Here is the situation LANES, a LEO can charge you with any thing they want. It is up to the courts to divide weather or not the law has been broken. As for your brother situation. He probably could have had it hanging from the roof, and spot lights on it and they would have still said what they did.

I have had my firearm on when pulled over. I did violate my 4th A right, and let them know I was armed. They ask where it is . I reply on my person. Having to tell them galls me. Makes me wish we were VA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here is the situation LANES, a LEO can charge you with any thing they want. It is up to the courts to divide weather or not the law has been broken. As for your brother situation. He probably could have had it hanging from the roof, and spot lights on it and they would have still said what they did.

I have had my firearm on when pulled over. I did violate my 4th A right, and let them know I was armed. They ask where it is . I reply on my person. Having to tell them galls me. Makes me wish we were VA
If it will make you feel any better, we'll trade governors with you and throw in Joe Morrissey free. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No, no, no you elected him, you can keep him. I happen to like our present Gov. even if he is a Charlotte man
Just to clarify - I had absolutely nothing to do with McAwful winning the election...nada...zip...point zero! No way would I shoot myself in (insert body part of choice) and expect to be happy with the result(s).

Jamesm760

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx
Page 22 & 23.

"While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other
problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not
readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. "

I notify when pulled, most of the time they just say ok since I already have both hands on steering wheel. (obviously don't start looking for your insurance/registration when you get pulled until told to do so). Some people don't notify because they don't have to, and that's fine, but I record all LEO encounters, and I record telling them that there is a firearm in the vehicle that way there are no "surprises" and it is a known fact. I don't want to take the chance of assuming they see it then I go for my wallet, and at that point they see the firearm (which I keep on my hip) and well... many things can happen then. My words exactly are, "in case you haven't noticed yet, I am lawfully open carrying a handgun on my person." and I'm done. Again, these are my own thoughts/opinions... do what you will.

Last edited:

ron73440

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx
Page 22 & 23.

"While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other
problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not
readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. "

I notify when pulled, most of the time they just say ok since I already have both hands on steering wheel. (obviously don't start looking for your insurance/registration when you get pulled until told to do so). Some people don't notify because they don't have to, and that's fine, but I record all LEO encounters, and I record telling them that there is a firearm in the vehicle that way there are no "surprises" and it is a known fact. I don't want to take the chance of assuming they see it then I go for my wallet, and at that point they see the firearm (which I keep on my hip) and well... many things can happen then. My words exactly are, "in case you haven't noticed yet, I am lawfully open carrying a handgun on my person." and I'm done. Again, these are my own thoughts/opinions... do what you will.

I've been pulled over twice OC'ing and neither time did I notify.

They probably didn't notice and never asked to search my vehicle.

If they asked me to get out, then I think I would notify them. Because if not, they might get nervous, and nervous cops can kill.

For the most part my attitude is "screw them,if they don't see it, no harm no foul."

Freedom is awesome.