• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

REDFIVE48

boring is good that is what we are working for

i thought Costco was extremely anti defense. they even got a guy killed in NV, for CC

The guy at the Costco door probably didn't see the gun, they won't post signs but they will tell you guns aren't welcome if they see you.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

salesguy

I did not know that, interesting. I was all over Costco including the member desk, I guess the biz-casual clothes might have helped?

Sporting my new blackhawk holster for the G26 using the belt loop which I love. Love the smaller gun too. Also carry a G19 in a paddle blackhawk (also good) and then have a 1911 in a blackhawk but it feels like a tank in comparison, but looks very pretty (kimber w/crimson trace grips).

Yesterday, FINALLY had some comments worth reporting.

OC'd to Wells Fargo and SECU in mebane. Had to move some money from one to the other, all of it requiring manager approval. Wells was fun, the branch manager knows me well and asked me, "why are you carrying a gun in the bank (in a nice tone)?". My response, "Didn't you tell me just last week that a customer was robbed in the parking lot?? Plus a branch nearby was robbed". Manager, "Hmmm, ok, carry on".

Then the teller the next window over (who knows my wife) asked what permit I need for that. Me, "you don't need a....blah blah".

Then went to SECU, waited in line and got plenty of stares but not a single comment. Then had to sit in the managers office to get a wire transfer done and he seemed pretty uncomfortable, maybe because he couldn't approve the transfer until someone else who wasn't there came back. So I'm going back tomorrow.

All of this was in motorcycle gear (no helmet of course, lol).

Horsegal984

Was out running errands, stopped in Radio Shack on 29 in Kannapolis. One of the guys came around the counter to help me make sure it was the right battery. As he's ringing me up the other guy behind the counter gets off the phone and jokes "better be nice to her, she's armed and dangerous." The guy ringing me up looks at me again, surprised, "I didn't even notice!"

Turns out the guy who noticed was the manager who admits he noticed right away since he doesn't trust anybody so he sizes everybody up. Told him I don't trust people either, it's why I carry. He then proceeds to tell me about how a customer was threatening one of the female clerks, when she asked him to leave ot she would call the police the BG's response was "Do you think they'll get here before I murder you?" I told the manager this is exactly why I like to be my own first line of defense. The other clerk was silent through this exchange but seemed to be really thinking about it.

carolina guy

Was out running errands, stopped in Radio Shack on 29 in Kannapolis. One of the guys came around the counter to help me make sure it was the right battery. As he's ringing me up the other guy behind the counter gets off the phone and jokes "better be nice to her, she's armed and dangerous." The guy ringing me up looks at me again, surprised, "I didn't even notice!"

Turns out the guy who noticed was the manager who admits he noticed right away since he doesn't trust anybody so he sizes everybody up. Told him I don't trust people either, it's why I carry. He then proceeds to tell me about how a customer was threatening one of the female clerks, when she asked him to leave ot she would call the police the BG's response was "Do you think they'll get here before I murder you?" I told the manager this is exactly why I like to be my own first line of defense. The other clerk was silent through this exchange but seemed to be really thinking about it.

+1 LEOs are NOT security guards. LEOs have no legal obligation, or realistic possibility, to protect everyone so its up to those who are interested to look after themselves.

solus

yikes...unfortunately, the clerk should have contacted the police and made a report. Yes, i know the police won't ever see hide nor hare of the the individual, but somewhere the individual might make the same threat to someone else in the future and now they have a history if they do catch up with the individual...

ipse

Horsegal984

yikes...unfortunately, the clerk should have contacted the police and made a report. Yes, i know the police won't ever see hide nor hare of the the individual, but somewhere the individual might make the same threat to someone else in the future and now they have a history if they do catch up with the individual...

ipse

TBH, I have no idea if a report was filed or not. I do agree whole heartedly that a report should have been made if one was not.

If its anything like the case where the individual was making threats against the staff at my work the police will simply blow it off and refuse to make any report since the guy didn't properly ID himself in the process.

Last edited:

Rugby3

Another uneventful day carrying around Goldsboro, cruising through Wally World to get oil & filter to take care of the car. Don't even think one person noticed this time.:lol:

FlyBoy276

Raleigh,

This is a funky area I have lived here for about a year and a half and have my cc but felt the need to one day press the limits of the OC laws in play. First stop was the local WalMart in Cary. I literally was asked to either conceal or leave because some of the customers were concerned for their safety. Honestly this was odd for me because I have always been told one or the the other and never given a choice. My other concern was this is a rich area and I'm a tall white male dressed in nice jeans and a polo the only thing I could have committed was a crime against dressing in matching colors because I was wearing camo crocks. Needless to say I just concealed it the best I could under my shirt and continued my shopping. However I did go to one of the Burlington Coat Factory stores in Raleigh and was asked to leave by the LP and store GM because they said it was not permitted and was told I would be detained by the LP until police arrived if I didn't exit promptly even after asking why it was not posted. so I left and will never go in that store again because they are all morons about the law and how it works!

That's crazy. I OC in that Walmart all of the time, and only had one 'encounter,' where basically an older gentleman asked ME if I was allowed to carry in the store, to which I replied with the chain's corporate policy on firearms. He left me alone. Ive also OCed in the BCF on Buck Jones Rd (I assume that's the store to which you're referring. I would contact the district manager of WM to inform them of your encounter, and to ask him/her to make sure their employees are educated on their policies.

roushstang99

Academy Sports is Awsome!

Went to Academy Sports last night to find a good holster for my gun since no one makes one yet. They were great. Let me take my gun out and test out some of the holsters to find one that would fit it the best. Got a Fobus that fits perfect!! Then to Wal-Mart and was asked by an older black gentleman if it was legal to OC. Steak & Shake for dinner and no one there seemed to care. So all in all a great day of OCing!

jeffy_ssd

Last weekend I OC literally across the state. Started out at home, breakfast in Reaford at Bojangles with a gaggle of NC State Highway Patrolmen, drove to the Tanger outlets to do some shopping (waved at a Smithfield PD officer while there), on to Goldsboro for a stop to get gas and finally ended up in in Kinston for a family reunion. Had no issues anywhere I stopped and have only had positive comments when it is brought up.

ron73440

Still no issues, in the Halloween store in Jacksonville the female clerk said to my son "Oooh, you're Dad has a gun", in an approving tone.

OC'd into Food Lion and Baker's Kitchen in New Bern, and a lot of the little shops on that street and not a word from anyone.

Also went to Perla's Alterations in Havelock and my Eye Dr. in New Bern Wal-Mart, which I was a little nervous about, but so far I haven't even had a hint of a problem.

I can't convince myself to carry into church so I leave it in the truck.

papa bear

RON be sure to carry everywhere you could be shot.

i have been carrying all the time, the only encounter i had when a young woman at McDs said something

she was very positive and said she wanted to get her CHP.

today one of the managers said something about not seeing my gun and i said well, i am not unarmed

Horsegal984

Was over at WalMart in Kannapolis again when a guy sitting just outside the front door said something like oh uh its a cop. All I heard was the last half, but being a little slow I start looking for the officer before I realize he's looking at me.
"Oh, I'm not a cop."
-What's that then? (he motions towards my side)
"A 9mm"
-Whhhhha?? (blank stare)
By this point I realized a guy who was leaving the store has stopped and is listening, as well as the guy who was smoking off to the side, so I took the opportunity to explain about open carry being legal in NC and that unlike concealed carry you don't need a permit. Neither of the other two guys said anything, but the original commenter said he was new to the state and didn't know that.

Went empty holstered into the local ABC store, still got the attention of the clerk, who happens to be quite the gun fan himself. Told him about the forum and invited him to the next lunch meet here in Concord. Hope he stops by, seems like quite the knowledgeable guy.

94 at Large

Was at Sam's Club (RMT) getting gas when the mini van getting fuel behind me started up, ran for about 10 seconds then shut down. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a young lady get out and approach me. She politely said, "excuse me" and when I looked at her she said she just wanted to say thank you for open carrying. I smiled politely and said you're welcome and she was the first to ever compliment me on being armed. She informed me that she had a chp and carried everywhere. I, too, thanked her for carrying. To say the least I was pleasantly surprised as this was a first for me and halfway expecting a confrontation of another sort. Made my day.

Jamesm760

Was over at WalMart in Kannapolis again when a guy sitting just outside the front door said something like oh uh its a cop. All I heard was the last half, but being a little slow I start looking for the officer before I realize he's looking at me.
"Oh, I'm not a cop."
-What's that then? (he motions towards my side)
"A 9mm"
-Whhhhha?? (blank stare)
By this point I realized a guy who was leaving the store has stopped and is listening, as well as the guy who was smoking off to the side, so I took the opportunity to explain about open carry being legal in NC and that unlike concealed carry you don't need a permit. Neither of the other two guys said anything, but the original commenter said he was new to the state and didn't know that.

Went empty holstered into the local ABC store, still got the attention of the clerk, who happens to be quite the gun fan himself. Told him about the forum and invited him to the next lunch meet here in Concord. Hope he stops by, seems like quite the knowledgeable guy.

Glad to hear you got the chance to do some educating!

Theahha

My OC Experience

Hello everyone!

Im new to the forum but not OCin. I live off 6 forks in raleigh and never have a problem carrying to the food lion, chargrill or anywhere near that area? Anyone live around me that knows where its not allowed besides post offices and govt buildings??

WalkingWolf

Hello everyone!

Im new to the forum but not OCin. I live off 6 forks in raleigh and never have a problem carrying to the food lion, chargrill or anywhere near that area? Anyone live around me that knows where its not allowed besides post offices and govt buildings??

Welcome to OCDO :D

ron73440

Boring OC (the way I like it)

Still no issues although I was walking in the parking lot of New Bern's Wal-Mart and had a cop car driving real slow behind me and was surprised by how nervous I got anticipating an encounter.

I walked through the lot to the front door and he turned.

I need to mentally rehearse a police encounter more, because as nervous as I was, I might have said or done something that I didn't want to do (give ID or consent to a search)

Been all over New Bern and Havelock very few people notice the pistol.

In Havelocks Food Lion I was wearing my KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON shirt and the clerk looked at me and said "That's right, carry on every chance you get."

My wife is starting to figure out if I go somewhere, I carry. Last week she sent me for groceries and I got the "I married an idiot" look as I was putting my holster on my belt so I told her "It's my policy" she laughed and not another word was said about it.

Jamesm760

Still no issues although I was walking in the parking lot of New Bern's Wal-Mart and had a cop car driving real slow behind me and was surprised by how nervous I got anticipating an encounter.

I walked through the lot to the front door and he turned.

I need to mentally rehearse a police encounter more, because as nervous as I was, I might have said or done something that I didn't want to do (give ID or consent to a search)

Been all over New Bern and Havelock very few people notice the pistol.

In Havelocks Food Lion I was wearing my KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON shirt and the clerk looked at me and said "That's right, carry on every chance you get."

My wife is starting to figure out if I go somewhere, I carry. Last week she sent me for groceries and I got the "I married an idiot" look as I was putting my holster on my belt so I told her "It's my policy" she laughed and not another word was said about it.

I hear you man, the first time I had an encounter I was poopin bricks. As long as you know your stuff you will be fine. You can always just keep it simple and remain silent ;) but I prefer not to be rude and "good morning officer how are you doing". As soon as they start asking questions they shouldn't be asking, simply go back to the "am I under arrest/ being detained? Am I free to go?" Sometimes they are just curious to see what you are carrying or trying to give you a thumbs up. (in some of my encounters with LEOs). BUT other times they assume you are about to go commit a crime because of your race, tattoos, place where you are and start asking questions that are just stupid. I guess you just have to remember that LEOs are people too and we all know how some people can be stupid and ignorant. :rolleyes: .... but thats just how I look at it, other people will disagree or have their own opinions.

Last edited:

solus

tried a new eatting place...huddle house on 117 and was pleasantly suprised to discover nobody cared, staff, other patrons, nada and the french toast platter was very good.

also o'reilly auto parts didn't bat an eye when i went for parts for the scoot.

of course sams and wally world are still on my favorite list.

oh heard about a problem at dunn's wally world...anybody run into problems there?

ipse

Last edited: