• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Basic Rules

sultan62

Can we get the 'C' word that rhymes with glock unblocked? It comes up quite a bit in this board. Maybe this has already been discussed and decided against, but I didn't see anything.

Thanks.

K

kittyhawk63

Can we get some posted rules to stop members from using foul language...abbreviations of foul language...words describing sexual body parts? There should be no references to the "F" word or sexual terms denoting body parts. This forum should be run professionally and the members who post should act accordingly. Most members who post uphold decency in their writing. Please, let's clean up OCDO.

Lady Glock

I am trying to upload an avatar and it keeps saying it isn't a valid file. It's within size, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Can we get some posted rules to stop members from using foul language...abbreviations of foul language...words describing sexual body parts? There should be no references to the "F" word or sexual terms denoting body parts. This forum should be run professionally and the members who post should act accordingly. Most members who post uphold decency in their writing. Please, let's clean up OCDO.

Agreed. In addition to their being no controls to prevent disclosure of content to minors or even young children, the use of such language reflects poorly on our professionalism and our cause.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Rule concerning long gun carry should be dropped.....the reasons given in the basic rule explanation are bogus and false..plus there is an exception ?? what??

berettabone

Banned
Professionalism!!!! What a joke.........People are constantly being attacked, and nothing is done about it. Just like the rest of the blog sites....the attacked get the boot, while the attackers go free...........what a waste of time.

sharkey

You're violating rule 10

You have an ad for a gun raffle.

(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such).View attachment 8732

Oh crap, and a gun ad. View attachment 8733

Last edited:

knivezrev6

Language rights.

I understand that to keep a discussion professional swearing is looked down on but as a veteran who thinks that Illinois gun laws are unconstitutional I also believe that using swear words is a right and trying to censor use of them is unconstitutional. I use swearing to emphasize a sentence and although some will look down on it, it is my use of free speech. You can't defend just one right. Respond and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

*sigh*
The Constitution only limits the government, not private entities. This forum is a private entity, and as such can impose its own rules on conduct. Basically, your right to free speech does not trump the property owner's rights to restrict actions on his/her property.

If you come into my house, I can (and will) require that you watch your tongue and not swear around my family. You can claim "rights" all you wish, but it's my house, my rules.

Same goes for this forum. The owner has chosen to eliminate certain forms of conduct he deems unbecoming, and that's the end of the story.

knivezrev6

I understand you won't allow swearing in your home, I don't allow it around my daughter, but reading the 18 rules there is not one that says no swearing. If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.

Merlin

*sigh*

If you come into my house, I can (and will) require that you watch your tongue and not swear around my family.

".....or else I will trespass you from the property. I can't deny you your inalienable rights, but I CAN deny your presence on my property. Feel free to exercise your rights from the sidewalk."

There, I got that for you.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Merlin

You have an ad for a gun raffle.

(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such).View attachment 8732

Oh crap, and a gun ad. View attachment 8733

I've been wondering the same.

I'm fine with the no sales rule. Your website, your rules. But I would like to see it more uniformly applied, :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.

Keep that up and a moderator will be around to show you the way to the egress.

If you are the sort of person who needs to have each and every thing spelled out in columns of what you can and what you cannot do, then I suggest you go find a board that operates that way. My experience, although limited, suggests that the majority of such boards are affilliated with liberal/progressive politics.

AFAIK the issue of swearing/not swearing is not addressed via a rule because the users here have been able to self-moderate to the point that John or Mike have not seen the need to step in and publish a rule to cover the issue. If you feel it is necessary to ask them for a ruling on the matter you can do so. If you feel you can tell them that if they have not made a rule against swearing (or anything else) you must be allowed to do it then I want to get your autographed picture - I didn't know that there was a new Superman.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by knivezrev6

.... If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.

Keep that up and a moderator will be around to show you the way to the egress.

If you are the sort of person who needs to have each and every thing spelled out in columns of what you can and what you cannot do, then I suggest you go find a board that operates that way. My experience, although limited, suggests that the majority of such boards are affilliated with liberal/progressive politics.

AFAIK the issue of swearing/not swearing is not addressed via a rule because the users here have been able to self-moderate to the point that John or Mike have not seen the need to step in and publish a rule to cover the issue. If you feel it is necessary to ask them for a ruling on the matter you can do so. If you feel you can tell them that if they have not made a rule against swearing (or anything else) you must be allowed to do it then I want to get your autographed picture - I didn't know that there was a new Superman.

stay safe.

See no need to have the equivalent of Robert's Rules. We have a simpler control:
"RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion." It is also not a requirement that judgement calls be delineated or defended.

Any doubt/confusion should be removed when notice is given. Establishment and enforcement of the rules is not subject to a vote.

That is the way it is.

Last edited: