Thread: Voice Recording Smartphone Apps

Voice Recording Smartphone Apps

There's a three-year old sticky thread here that briefly covers voice recorders, but I'd like to branch that conversation a little bit.

There are dozens of smartphone apps for voice recording but I have barely begun research on which might be best for the kind of use we would typically want.

One area where a smartphone might provide an additional layer of protection should be its ability to automatically store the recording files to an off-device storage location. This protects against the scenario where someone realizes you are recording, physically takes the phone, and then destroys the recording.

With the right software and back-end services set up ahead of time, a smartphone should be able to store those recordings off-device, either in real-time or with very short and quick direction from the user, so if the device is taken, even destroyed, the recordings are still safely stored somewhere else, hopefully strongly protected by all the appropriate computer security measures to prevent even the possessor of the smartphone (remember it's just been taken) from deleting remotely without proper authorization.

One thing to remember, this might be accomplished by two separate apps, a voice recorder to capture the recording, and perhaps a file manager app, which might handle the transfer of the recorded files off-device.

Anybody have anything like this set up?

TFred

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I believe there is an app for that and it auto saves to the cloud and not to your phone..

Tfred, et al., a point to consider which is why I have not availed myself of my iPhone recording apps.

My Iphone locks down after 15 secs and from my research, Siri will not unlock the Iphone on my voice command, therefore I cannot ‘verbally activate’ the voice recorder surreptitiously.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t investigated if I unlock the Iphone when needed to record an interaction with whomever & activate the recording app, and then let the Iphone timeout and lock out, if the app continues to fucntion and record as advertised.

Therefore, the nice battery little recorder in my visor, turned on by a push of a button without drawing attention to the action, and life is good. The auto cam pointed to my driver’s window would capture any removal of the recorder by those who might have stopped me.

Personally I know my Iphone is uncrackable w/o authorities expending a gaggle of time and $$$$ and perfer that mentality.
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Bacon’s great-grandson.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Just to clarify, I'm thinking more of an app that would be running any time one were out in public, and not just while in a car.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm thinking more of an app that would be running any time one were out in public, and not just while in a car.

TFred
    oh my...you are better then me to want every and all conversation(s) recorded to an unsecure cloud which could be judically ordered open, unbeknownst to you, by LE or government agents or by hackers!

Whew, Tfred, that’s quite a staggering concept to record all conversations to the cloud, really?
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Bacon’s great-grandson.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    oh my...you are better then me to want every and all conversation(s) recorded to an unsecure cloud which could be judically ordered open, unbeknownst to you, by LE or government agents or by hackers!

Whew, Tfred, that’s quite a staggering concept to record all conversations to the cloud, really?
    "Unsecure cloud?" Who said that? If you notice, I never used term "cloud," let alone "unsecure cloud!" I stated the requirement to be "off-device," to mitigate - well, lets be blunt here - the theft and destruction of any evidence that might implicate a LEO or some other figure of authority during an encounter that might have not stayed within the bounds of the law.

There are ways to encrypt data such that you are literally the only person who can decrypt it, and the keys for doing so can be secured separately from the data storage. Maybe you are not aware of it, but even the DoD is using services from folks like Amazon for data storage now. I can assure you, they are not storing classified information in the "unsecure cloud!"

Putting all these pieces together into a package that would be useful for those who choose to carry firearms is the reason I am asking these questions.

Finally, lets bring this back around to ground zero. Many of us already carry personal voice recorders every day, all day long. That data is virtually never encrypted, and far more vulnerable to theft and public dissemination than a properly encrypted file stored in "the cloud," as well as being vulnerable to the risks mentioned earlier regarding destruction by those involved. Do you suggest that nobody should carry voice recorders any longer?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    "Unsecure cloud?" Who said that? If you notice, I never used term "cloud," let alone "unsecure cloud!" I stated the requirement to be "off-device," to mitigate - well, lets be blunt here - the theft and destruction of any evidence that might implicate a LEO or some other figure of authority during an encounter that might have not stayed within the bounds of the law.

There are ways to encrypt data such that you are literally the only person who can decrypt it, and the keys for doing so can be secured separately from the data storage. Maybe you are not aware of it, but even the DoD is using services from folks like Amazon for data storage now. I can assure you, they are not storing classified information in the "unsecure cloud!"

Putting all these pieces together into a package that would be useful for those who choose to carry firearms is the reason I am asking these questions.

Finally, lets bring this back around to ground zero. Many of us already carry personal voice recorders every day, all day long. That data is virtually never encrypted, and far more vulnerable to theft and public dissemination than a properly encrypted file stored in "the cloud," as well as being vulnerable to the risks mentioned earlier regarding destruction by those involved. Do you suggest that nobody should carry voice recorders any longer?

TFred
    Alas TFred, to correct one misperception, DoD’s classified stored knowledge maintained in contractual supplied equipment [built, configured and operated under DoD personal oversight] has been secured per 5200.1 and not “amazon” security policies.

Finally, I am sorry you misunderstood regarding the use of recorder...”IF’ after a day out & about without using my trusty recorded pocketed ready to use, ‘just in case’. I put it on my dresser.

If I had need of my trusty recorder, the data is removed and encrypted and put in a secure & obsecure location only known to me. If a person in authority wants to take my recorder or my legality carried firearm, it will be given without hesitation our fuss.

Finally, TFred I am sorry your got the impression from my posts I was in any way advocating discontinue use of voice records.

As for your perception the ‘clouds’ are secure from surveillance w/ or w/o judical oversight you might review the NSA’s debacle of wireless surveillance carried without judical oversight. Ya the cloud is safe, so thought the democratic party’s, the financial entity’s, etc., about their computers.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    As for your perception the ‘clouds’ are secure from surveillance w/ or w/o judical oversight you might review the NSA’s debacle of wireless surveillance carried without judical oversight. Ya the cloud is safe, so thought the democratic party’s, the financial entity’s, etc., about their computers.
    If I encrypt the data on my phone, with my sufficiently strong PKI public key, and then transfer that encrypted data to twitter or any other public forum, for any person on the face of the planet to download and pound to their heart's content, I am quite confident that my data is safe from unintended disclosure.

TFred