• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discussion about remembering peter nap, skidmark & Grapeshot

scouser

Let's have lunch while remembering peter nap, skidmark & Grapeshot

Saturday November 10th 12pm

River City Diner
Parham Rd & I-95...................
803 East Parham Rd
804-266-1500
Richmond, VA 23227

I was talking with my wife this morning about having reached an age wherein most of the people I've known in my life are already dead. But this one hits particularly hard.

I'm certainly not up to improving on what's been said already. Dale was one of the finest men I've met, and I can't help wondering what this Commonwealth is coming to, when the last of the Richmond area open carry triumvirate has left us. Who'll take up the reins and drive that buggy, now that we are without Don Litten, Paul Henick, and Dale Welch. Who'll steer the ship?

I loved them all. I'm thinking perhaps we should organize a Saturday morning breakfast or a Tuesday evening dinner in honor of all three. Surely it's a different world, now.

I can't do anything about a Saturday breakfast until mid November as Logan is playing soccer every Saturday morning until then, and won't make the November dinner as his grade is performing on stage at the school that evening.

Our December dinner we traditionally hold at Traks usually attracts friends we don't see as often, perhaps that would be a good option, what does everyone think?

Would a Saturday lunch work better for those who want to attend from outside of the Richmond area?

Let's start planning now ....

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Saturday lunch would certainly be better for me. I leave it to y'all who live around Richmond to pick the place. I, myself have a good many dietary restrictions, so it'd be nice if it's a place where I can get something I can actually eat - e.g., that Chinese buffet place we've been to a couple of times contains absolutely zero food as far as I'm concerned. A nice hamburger or some po'k bah-be-kyu would be good.

It seems so odd to have a post about Richmond area activities in which there was no immediate barrage from Grapeshot.

Last edited:

Bob1

I'd prefer a Saturday lunch as well for selfish reasons. That way I can miss the weekday I-95 southbound rush hour(s) traffic and hit Green Top & Bass Pro in Ashland as well as War Store & Bob Moates in Midlothian. :banana:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I, too, would probably attend a Saturday lunch. Cannot make the Tuesday dinners without leaving my house by about 2PM and getting home about 2AM. I95, dontcha know.

scouser

.... I, myself have a good many dietary restrictions, so it'd be nice if it's a place where I can get something I can actually eat - e.g., that Chinese buffet place we've been to a couple of times contains absolutely zero food as far as I'm concerned. A nice hamburger or some po'k bah-be-kyu would be good.

It seems so odd to have a post about Richmond area activities in which there was no immediate barrage from Grapeshot.

I'll be honest and say that Chinese buffet was on my mind, but is no longer. I know River City Diner has burgers and pork, it's also a place you know how to get to, sadly Rise and Shine don't open on weekends which was the last place I remember seeing you at breakfast.
River City is on the north side of Richmond and, seeing as most of the out of town responders are in NOVA, easily accessible for the travelers.
I can speak with the manager there to find out which Saturdays their back room is available and how many people it can hold.
It's not a final decision on the location, just my first suggestion, what does everyone else think?

Last edited:

speed41ae

River City Diner has a good selection of eats, easy to get to and is allows been open carry friendly. It definitely gets my vote.

scouser

Currently I'm thinking of a Saturday lunch in November. I'm waiting to hear from Theresa at River City to find out which days their back room is available. She told me it will seat about 30 people.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I can't do anything about a Saturday breakfast until mid November as Logan is playing soccer every Saturday morning until then, and won't make the November dinner as his grade is performing on stage at the school that evening.

Our December dinner we traditionally hold at Traks usually attracts friends we don't see as often, perhaps that would be a good option, what does everyone think?

Would a Saturday lunch work better for those who want to attend from outside of the Richmond area?

Let's start planning now ....

Lunch sounds good.

scouser

This morning I reserved the back room at River City Diner on Parham Rd for 12pm onwards on Saturday November 10th. All are welcome to come and eat to 'celebrate' the reunion of the 3 Musketeers.
I asked about carrying and Theresa looked at me as though I had grown an extra head and said "Do you really need to ask me that?"

scouser

Booked the time and place

Saturday November 10th 12pm

River City Diner
Parham Rd & I-95...................
803 East Parham Rd
804-266-1500
Richmond, VA 23227

kennys

Seems a fitting place, ate many a breakfast there with them three. Even liked those gut buster omelets Don used to get. Count me in.

sidestreet

i'll really hate missing this one...,

but I had already made plans to be out of town with family at li'l miss sidestreet's college for family weekend.

so, in accordance with the "Three Musketeers" or as the members of the "Oulde Pharts Club" would say, "bacon, plentiful and crispy, coffee double brewed, feel free to talk about me, i won't be there."

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

Philippians 1:3

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

ODA 226

I haven't been on here for about the past 6 years because I moved to Germany. Peter Nap, Skidmark and grapeshot are gone? What happened to them? I knew all of them and they were truly great men. My heart is saddened! :cry:

scouser

I haven't been on here for about the past 6 years because I moved to Germany. Peter Nap, Skidmark and grapeshot are gone? What happened to them? I knew all of them and they were truly great men. My heart is saddened! :cry:

Each of them had been ill for some time.
peter nap died in April 2016, I still remember the phone call from skidmark when he told me. About 3 weeks later in May 2016 skidmark died and grapeshot was the one who told me. I guess it all circled around because last month it was peter nap's wife who told me about grape. A search back through forum posts from April and May of 2016 would offer more details than I can remember without getting upset.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I have every intention of showing up, myself, though without Peaches, the Wonderdog - she's blown the cruciate ligament on her right knee and had surgery just a week ago. Her Ladyship will watch over the convalescent patient while I lollygag with the gun-buddies on Saturday, or as I alternatively put it quoting the Wizard of Oz, "hob-nobbing with my fellow Wizards".