Let's have lunch while remembering peter nap, skidmark & Grapeshot

Saturday November 10th 12pm

River City Diner
    Parham Rd & I-95...................
    803 East Parham Rd
    804-266-1500
    Richmond, VA 23227

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I was talking with my wife this morning about having reached an age wherein most of the people I've known in my life are already dead. But this one hits particularly hard.

I'm certainly not up to improving on what's been said already. Dale was one of the finest men I've met, and I can't help wondering what this Commonwealth is coming to, when the last of the Richmond area open carry triumvirate has left us. Who'll take up the reins and drive that buggy, now that we are without Don Litten, Paul Henick, and Dale Welch. Who'll steer the ship?

I loved them all. I'm thinking perhaps we should organize a Saturday morning breakfast or a Tuesday evening dinner in honor of all three. Surely it's a different world, now.
    I can't do anything about a Saturday breakfast until mid November as Logan is playing soccer every Saturday morning until then, and won't make the November dinner as his grade is performing on stage at the school that evening.

Our December dinner we traditionally hold at Traks usually attracts friends we don't see as often, perhaps that would be a good option, what does everyone think?

Would a Saturday lunch work better for those who want to attend from outside of the Richmond area?

Let's start planning now ....
    Last edited by scouser; 10-20-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added the location now it's been booked
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Saturday lunch would certainly be better for me. I leave it to y'all who live around Richmond to pick the place. I, myself have a good many dietary restrictions, so it'd be nice if it's a place where I can get something I can actually eat - e.g., that Chinese buffet place we've been to a couple of times contains absolutely zero food as far as I'm concerned. A nice hamburger or some po'k bah-be-kyu would be good.

It seems so odd to have a post about Richmond area activities in which there was no immediate barrage from Grapeshot.
    Last edited by user; 10-19-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Would a Saturday lunch work better for those who want to attend from outside of the Richmond area?
    Good suggestion -- allows driving to and from during daylight hours.

I cannot even begin to know my schedule yet; currently in Berlin...

Mark

I'd prefer a Saturday lunch as well for selfish reasons. That way I can miss the weekday I-95 southbound rush hour(s) traffic and hit Green Top & Bass Pro in Ashland as well as War Store & Bob Moates in Midlothian.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I, too, would probably attend a Saturday lunch. Cannot make the Tuesday dinners without leaving my house by about 2PM and getting home about 2AM. I95, dontcha know.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Saturday lunch would be an option for me as well.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    .... I, myself have a good many dietary restrictions, so it'd be nice if it's a place where I can get something I can actually eat - e.g., that Chinese buffet place we've been to a couple of times contains absolutely zero food as far as I'm concerned. A nice hamburger or some po'k bah-be-kyu would be good.

It seems so odd to have a post about Richmond area activities in which there was no immediate barrage from Grapeshot.
    I'll be honest and say that Chinese buffet was on my mind, but is no longer. I know River City Diner has burgers and pork, it's also a place you know how to get to, sadly Rise and Shine don't open on weekends which was the last place I remember seeing you at breakfast.
    River City is on the north side of Richmond and, seeing as most of the out of town responders are in NOVA, easily accessible for the travelers.
    I can speak with the manager there to find out which Saturdays their back room is available and how many people it can hold.
    It's not a final decision on the location, just my first suggestion, what does everyone else think?
    Last edited by scouser; 10-19-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: autocorrect is not my friend
    JFT 96

River City Diner has a good selection of eats, easy to get to and is allows been open carry friendly. It definitely gets my vote.

Currently I'm thinking of a Saturday lunch in November. I'm waiting to hear from Theresa at River City to find out which days their back room is available. She told me it will seat about 30 people.
    JFT 96

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    I can't do anything about a Saturday breakfast until mid November as Logan is playing soccer every Saturday morning until then, and won't make the November dinner as his grade is performing on stage at the school that evening.

Our December dinner we traditionally hold at Traks usually attracts friends we don't see as often, perhaps that would be a good option, what does everyone think?

Let's start planning now ....

Lunch sounds good.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

This morning I reserved the back room at River City Diner on Parham Rd for 12pm onwards on Saturday November 10th. All are welcome to come and eat to 'celebrate' the reunion of the 3 Musketeers.
    I asked about carrying and Theresa looked at me as though I had grown an extra head and said "Do you really need to ask me that?"
    JFT 96

Booked the time and place

Saturday November 10th 12pm

River City Diner
    Parham Rd & I-95...................
    803 East Parham Rd
    804-266-1500
    Richmond, VA 23227
    JFT 96

Seems a fitting place, ate many a breakfast there with them three. Even liked those gut buster omelets Don used to get. Count me in.

i'll really hate missing this one...,

but I had already made plans to be out of town with family at li'l miss sidestreet's college for family weekend.

so, in accordance with the "Three Musketeers" or as the members of the "Oulde Pharts Club" would say, "bacon, plentiful and crispy, coffee double brewed, feel free to talk about me, i won't be there."

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

Philippians 1:3

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

I haven't been on here for about the past 6 years because I moved to Germany. Peter Nap, Skidmark and grapeshot are gone? What happened to them? I knew all of them and they were truly great men. My heart is saddened!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    I haven't been on here for about the past 6 years because I moved to Germany. Peter Nap, Skidmark and grapeshot are gone? What happened to them? I knew all of them and they were truly great men. My heart is saddened!
    Each of them had been ill for some time.
    peter nap died in April 2016, I still remember the phone call from skidmark when he told me. About 3 weeks later in May 2016 skidmark died and grapeshot was the one who told me. I guess it all circled around because last month it was peter nap's wife who told me about grape. A search back through forum posts from April and May of 2016 would offer more details than I can remember without getting upset.
    JFT 96

looks like i can make it, scouser...

also planning to go to his birthday celebration at ocharleys
    Remember Peter Nap, Skidmark, and Grapeshot. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

My every intention is to be there

Life and power failures not withstanding.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

I have every intention of showing up, myself, though without Peaches, the Wonderdog - she's blown the cruciate ligament on her right knee and had surgery just a week ago. Her Ladyship will watch over the convalescent patient while I lollygag with the gun-buddies on Saturday, or as I alternatively put it quoting the Wizard of Oz, "hob-nobbing with my fellow Wizards".
    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Planning on being there tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing everyone today.

We'll be in the back room which is in the far left corner when you enter the diner.

For anyone arriving from I-95 it's exit 83B, go to the first light, use the furthest left turn lane and go around the Shell gas station to get to the diner. Don't make a U turn at the light, Henrico county often use people making u turns there to solicit $200 donations to the county's general fund
    JFT 96

Planning to attend.

TFred

Thank you to everyone who made our lunch such a good celebration, nice to see that half of the people there don't even live in the Richmond area yet still chose to travel and meet up to eat and celebrate the lives of our 3 friends
    JFT 96

We had a good turnout

I counted 14 in our area. Those I know from the forum include Scouser with Logan, Tess and family, TFred, User, Kenny, Double Tap, and Keeper. Several others for whom I have not learned their forum names were in evidence as well. Pictures were passed, memories shared, good food consumed and stories were told. Many a smile was to be had. Our own Athos, Porthos and Aremis remembered. Hail our Musketeers! Salute to absent friends.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    I counted 14 in our area. Those I know from the forum include Scouser with Logan, Tess and family, TFred, User, Kenny, Double Tap, and Keeper. Several others for whom I have not learned their forum names were in evidence as well. Pictures were passed, memories shared, good food consumed and stories were told. Many a smile was to be had. Our own Athos, Porthos and Aremis remembered. Hail our Musketeers! Salute to absent friends.
    Beautifully said! It was so enjoyable to be with everyone. Thanks to all of you who traveled to join in on the tribute. There are so many wonderful folks on this forum. So much warmth and kindness. Many friends.

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, the 17th.

Warm regards,
    Diane
    Fear has two meanings: Forget everything and run OR face everything and rise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast