• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scanning Software

since9

Campaign Veteran
NAPS2: Still BY FAR the best, slickest, most streamlined, compatible, and fully-integrated scanning software I've ever used, and I've used Paper Port, Canon, Epson, and HP. By comparison, they are all slow, sometimes buggy, and with non-intuitive interfaces.

Besides, NAPS2 is FREE!!! "NAPS2 is completely free to use for both individuals and businesses, and includes no ads or unwanted software." Available in 40 different languages.

NAPS stands for Not Another PDF Scanner, but it allows you to save your scans in whatever resolution and color depth supported by your scanner, and in pdf, bmp, emf, exif, gif, jpg/jpeg, png, and tif. It also has cropping and other basic image tools, but combined with Irfanview for quick and easy image editing, and Paint.net for details, it's a powerful image scanning and editing suite.

Includes OCR as well as both GUI and a powerful command line interface. Supports both WIA and TWAIN, multiple scanner profiles,

I currently have three scanners, a Canon, and HP, and an Epson, and NAPS2 works better than the software that came with any of them. Besides, since NAPS2 is constantly being improved, it works seamlessly with Windows 10, unlike TWO of the other scanning software suites that failed to keep their programs updates. "We're sorry, that program no longer works with Windows 10 -- you'll have to purchase a new scanner..." WRONG!!! NAPS2 works with my oldest scanner, from the 1990s. Flawlessly.

Don't upgrade your scanner -- just download NAPS2!

https://www.naps2.com/

Here's a tip: If I want a super high-resolution image, I simply scan it in the highest resolution of two of my scanners, 9600 dpi, then use Microsoft ICE to composite the image.