• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A new warrior in Valhalla

WalkingWolf

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I felt he was a friend as well as a hero, and advocate for the second amendment. Truly a great man is at the gates, Peter swiftly open them for our friend.

2a4all

The last of the Old Guard has passed on. He will indeed be missed, but will also be remembered, not only for his dedication but also for his humor and forthright outspoken views.

Double Tap, please accept our sincere sympathy and best wishes.

Doug & Linda Peterson

ChristCrusader

He enabled new waves of people to take up their rights. He successfully passed the torch of liberty to those he could reach.
Attrition tips the balance of democracy in the favor of the liberals. The dwindling old defenders of liberty who understand and appreciate what free people have inherited, passing away while still clutching to the rights they have left and warning those to come. The growing new generations turning out into the streets demanding that those same rights be surrendered at best, violently taken at worst.

I thank him for his work, for being there when I came around to take up my right, for enabling me to gain deeper understanding and more information, to not be left fumbling alone in the dark against organized, determined opposition.
Another pilot light snuffed out.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Too early to say much yet.

I am so saddened.

He, along with Skidmark and Peter Nap, were the leaders advocating Open Carry in the Richmond VA area.

I will try to write a more fitting eulogy later this week.

As for now, still too upset to write much but wanted everyone to know I was aware.

God bless you Diane.

riverrat

Brian D.

Sorry to learn of this. A true loss for everyone on this board, even more so for those of you who interacted with him in person through the years.

I'd PM him with a question or anything else, from a suggestion for us here in Ohio regarding improvement of our firearms rights, to a little bit of humor, he'd always get back to me.

Bob1

Another huge loss for the gun rights fight in the Virginia Commonwealth: Don, Paul and now Dale. Each put their indelible stamp on this forum and advanced gun rights education by great strides. I’m fortunate to have been friends with all three.

And thanks, Jane, for calling my attention to this thread.

The Wolfhound

The time to step up has arrived

Brothers and Sisters in the cause of Liberty, we have indeed lost a great warrior. I have had the privilege of meeting and getting to know Dale over the last eight years or so as I found my way in to activism. I could not have asked for a better guide or example on how to proceed. The amount of wisdom and experience he brought to our cause cannot be overstated. Dale walked the walk. He applied his shoulder to the wheel and pushed with considerable strength despite his small stature. Along with his activity here in OCDO, he was a vigorous activist within the Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL). If there was a cause of the day, an open carry dinner, an injustice discovered, a meeting, or Lobby Day, Dale was not only there, he was out front and center in a leadership position. When some of the other greats were lost in the last few years such as "Peter Nap" and "Skidmark", Dale was immediately organizing efforts to assist family and friends. I am blessed to have known him. You never doubted his dedication to the cause and the people in it. The weight you feel in his loss is the weight of his burden that now becomes ours. Shoulder that load. While the greats may fall the cause remains: Freedom! I have lost a mentor, I hope I can emulate his character and try to live up his standards of activism.
SKOL!
YATA HE!

user

Accomplished Advocate
I was talking with my wife this morning about having reached an age wherein most of the people I've known in my life are already dead. But this one hits particularly hard.

I'm certainly not up to improving on what's been said already. Dale was one of the finest men I've met, and I can't help wondering what this Commonwealth is coming to, when the last of the Richmond area open carry triumvirate has left us. Who'll take up the reins and drive that buggy, now that we are without Don Litten, Paul Henick, and Dale Welch. Who'll steer the ship?

I loved them all. I'm thinking perhaps we should organize a Saturday morning breakfast or a Tuesday evening dinner in honor of all three. Surely it's a different world, now.

Bob1

I'm thinking perhaps we should organize a Saturday morning breakfast or a Tuesday evening dinner in honor of all three. Surely it's a different world, now.

I hope someone down at Richmond sets this up. I’d like to come down if I’m in town.

The Truth

This is devastating. I just messaged with him on the 7th. Heard of his passing today. I'm going to need some time to process this one.

Will be returning for updates on services.

DoubleTap

Plans for celebration for Dale

I have just posted a new thread under Announcements with details of the celebration of Dale's life, and also included comments about a memorial service.

I have asked John Pierce to put a sticky on it; in the meantime, you should be able to find it down the list a bit.

Thanks so much,

Diane

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Sorry to hear that. My fondest (scary) memory of him was Grape and Skidmark picking me up from my house to drive to NOVA. I brought my cd book and we listened to Strange Brew The Very Best of Cream. I was in the back, Skid was driving and Grape rode shotgun. I could barely understood a word Grape said and Skid drove crazy. I think Skid was a cabbie in Boston or something and it reflected in his driving.

Godspeed Dale.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
I met Dale at a funeral for one of our Pa. members, many years ago. He was certainly one who would do anything for anyone, no matter how far the drive. He will be missed by many, including me.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
Very sad to hear this news. As has already been mentioned, Dale traveled to PA on more than one occasion to join with us in our own activist activities. He is being remembered for his dedication up here too.

Godspeed, Dale.