• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owingsville preemption violations. Nobody gets a pass, big or small.

gutshot II

I have been dealing with some problems in Bath County and just decided to check out the City of Owingsville, so I sent an Open Records Request to the City Clerk and in return got this section of the Employees Handbook:

V. Carrying of Deadly Weapons Prohibited:

1. Except as provided in KRS 527.020, an employee shall not be in possession of a deadly weapon while on City premises, including personal vehicles and city owned vehicles, unless he/she is required to carry a deadly weapon as a job requirement.

2. A deadly weapon is defined as ..............

This is a violation of KRS 65.870 and a violation of KRS 237.110(17) for those city employees that have a Ky. CCDWL.

I sent a message to the mayor of Owingsville about this and got this response.

"Mr. gutshot II,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We are a small town with only 12 employees
(5 of which are police) and this concern hasn't arisen since I've been mayor. The
"Section V" of our personnel policy you referred to will be removed at our next
month's council meeting. Had I realized this sooner it would have already been taken
out.

Thank you,

Mayor Gary Hunt
City of Owingsville, KY"

Bath County is still being worked on.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Bath County only has a population of a little over 12,000. How can they afford to do anything?

They can afford to post "No Guns" signs on County Buildings and face possible lawsuits for for those signs. That is "too much" money for them to have, in my opinion.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p0eiti2ycm2xg8/Screenshot%202018-10-09%20at%2001.56.42.png?dl=0

Owingsville is the county seat and has a population of 1,530 (2010 census). Probably less now and very little tax base. Yearly, per capita income is $18,156.

More on this issue soon.

Griz

Certainly part time politicians, which begs the question, are they better or worse than the full time breed?

zeroed

They can afford to post "No Guns" signs on County Buildings and face possible lawsuits for for those signs. That is "too much" money for them to have, in my opinion.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p0eiti2ycm2xg8/Screenshot 2018-10-09 at 01.56.42.png?dl=0

Owingsville is the county seat and has a population of 1,530 (2010 census). Probably less now and very little tax base. Yearly, per capita income is $18,156.

More on this issue soon.

I've not posted in a very long time, for many reasons, but mostly because I got locked out of my account. Some may remember me as "self preservation." Anyhow, If you remember a few years back I approached the city about illegal signage. That issue was resolved. I'm absolutely embarrassed that I missed this. And I'm embarrassed for many more reasons than just one. :cautious:

solus

I've not posted in a very long time, for many reasons, but mostly because I got locked out of my account. Some may remember me as "self preservation." Anyhow, If you remember a few years back I approached the city about illegal signage. That issue was resolved. I'm absolutely embarrassed that I missed this. And I'm embarrassed for many more reasons than just one. :cautious:

Welcome back...

Didn’t miss much as OC is still the theme...

gutshot II

Welcome back self pres. you've been gone a long time and it's good to see a post in the Ky. subforum by someone who actually lives here. I have not posted much for a while, either. One of the reasons is that there has been nobody from Ky. to read them. If you have not done it already, you should go back and read my post in County Extention Offices.

zeroed

Welcome back self pres. you've been gone a long time and it's good to see a post in the Ky. subforum by someone who actually lives here. I have not posted much for a while, either. One of the reasons is that there has been nobody from Ky. to read them. If you have not done it already, you should go back and read my post in County Extention Offices.
I have been gone for a while. But my life is starting to settle back down and get back to normal. As you may recall, I was elected to city council here about 5 years ago. A seat that I still occupy. How in the world I missed this is beyond me (The prohibiting of firearms by city employees policy). I printed and read the ordinances very carefully to make sure everything was compliant. However, I never thought to read the employee handbook. Oddly enough, The City of Owingsville is the only city that I'm aware of that doesn't have an ordinance about the discharge of firearms within city limits. So we're not anti-gun by any stretch of the imagination.... lol. They (me) just somehow overlooked a bad policy. Thanks for fixing this.... But gosh I'm still so embarrassed. I could have easily fixed this during during on of our regularly scheduled meetings. Sorry about that.

gutshot II

I am glad it happened. It's is nice to have some first-hand knowledge of what goes on in small local governments. I have tried to explain on many occasions here on this board that these things are not caused by anti-gun sentiments or liberals out to take over the world. It's just ordinary people doing a job that they are not well equipped for and with very little legal assistance or oversight. It's called democracy and it demands that the people be vigilant. Notice I didn't say or expect that the government would be vigilant.

People get elected to office and they don't know what is on the books and as long as nobody complains they just want to leave things alone. They assume that what has been working is what is supposed to work. They have enough problems to handle without them looking for new problems. Then along comes a troublemaker and outside agitator like gutshot and he makes their lives more difficult. It has more to do with laziness and ignorance than it has to do with political orientation. It also is about arrogance and people not liking to be told that they MUST do something.

I overlooked this for a long time too. I just decided to look around some more after finishing with the Bath County Extention Office. Often, in the past I have found if there is one preemption violation, there will be more. They spread like a virus. One agency puts up a "No Guns" sign and another, unassociated agency, sees it and thinks, That is a good idea, and they put one up. Policies are hard to find any cities and counties have their ORDINANCES post online.I don'tknowof any that do that with policies.