• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Good Advice

Jimsouth

May seem a bit campy; but it should be obvious. It is wise to have a rifle & a hand gun that use the same ammunition. The .22 caliber round is a very deadly round, especially the hypersonics, like Yellow jackets, etc. I have several. 22 pistols & rifles. Also a Ruger .30 caliber & an M1 Carbine. Can't say a whole lot about the carbine; although it would make a good club if it were heavier. The Pistol, another story. Very accurate revolver.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
May seem a bit campy; but it should be obvious. It wise to have a rifle & a hand gun that use the same ammunition. The .22 caliber round is a very deadly round, especially the hypersonics, like Yellow jackets, etc. I have several. 22 pistols & rifles. Also a Ruger .30 caliber & an M1 Carbine. Can't say a whole lot about the carbine; although it would make a good club if it were heavier. The Pistol, another story. Very accurate revolver.

I would not call any .22 round "very deadly," as center mass shots from a top of the line .22 deliver significantly less impact, damage, and stopping power than a top of the line 9mm.

But let me get this straight:

You own:

1. .22 pistols
2. .22 rifles
3. .30 caliber (7.62 mm) Ruger (rifle, I assume)
4. .30 caliber (7.62 mm) M2 Carbine

You say the pistol is another store, then, "very accurate revolver." Are you equating these two? Interesting.

As Wikipedia puts it:

Some handgun experts and dictionaries make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns; others use the terms interchangeably. Sometimes in usage, the term "pistol" refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers. But UK/rest of Commonwealth usage does not always make this distinction, particularly when the terms are used by the military. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI revolver was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley, No. 1 Mk VI". In contrast to Merriam-Webster the Oxford English Dictionary (a descriptive dictionary) describes 'pistol' as a small firearm to be used in one hand and the usage of "revolver" as being a type of handgun and gives its original form as "revolving pistol"​

Most people, however, view the broader category of handgun as containing both pistols and revolvers, but do not equate the two.

Jimsouth

I would not call any .22 round "very deadly," as center mass shots from a top of the line .22 deliver significantly less impact, damage, and stopping power than a top of the line 9mm.

But let me get this straight:

You own:

1. .22 pistols
2. .22 rifles
3. .30 caliber (7.62 mm) Ruger (rifle, I assume)
4. .30 caliber (7.62 mm) M2 Carbine

You say the pistol is another store, then, "very accurate revolver." Are you equating these two? Interesting.

As Wikipedia puts it:

Some handgun experts and dictionaries make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns; others use the terms interchangeably. Sometimes in usage, the term "pistol" refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers. But UK/rest of Commonwealth usage does not always make this distinction, particularly when the terms are used by the military. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI revolver was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley, No. 1 Mk VI". In contrast to Merriam-Webster the Oxford English Dictionary (a descriptive dictionary) describes 'pistol' as a small firearm to be used in one hand and the usage of "revolver" as being a type of handgun and gives its original form as "revolving pistol"​

Most people, however, view the broader category of handgun as containing both pistols and revolvers, but do not equate the two.

.30 cal M1 carbine & a .30 cal Ruger revolver. The .30 cal M2 is full auto ( select ). Gun Review: Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine - The Truth ...
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/.../gun-review-ruger-new-model-blackhawk-30-c... I'm saying I have pistols & rifles that use the same ammunition, that's all. Ammo Review: CCI COPPER-22, the Fastest .22 LR Ever. CCI's new COPPER-22 advertises that it sends a 21 grain lead-free projectile down range at 1,850 fps. Actually meeting that figure would make it the fastest .22 LR on the market

Last edited:

Jimsouth

I have fired sabot rounds in my 03 Springfield. 4,000 + fps. Incredibly fast; but ( BUT ! ) they are a very light round, and can wander if the wind is up. On windy days, I use.30 ball. -------------------------------- Technical Information
Caliber: 30-06 Springfield
Bullet Weight: 55 Grains
Bullet Style: Pointed Soft Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 4080 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2033 ft. lbs.

Last edited:

Jimsouth

FYI, when someone mentions ".22 pistol" and ".22 rifle" without mentioning the word "sabot," the only thoughts that come to mind are "short, long, or stinger?"

Why didn't you mentioned sabot?

I mentioned sabot because of the speed.

CJ4wd

The effectiveness of any .22 (or less) rimfire is to be questioned. While a .17 from a rifle MAY be effective, I am not aware of any handgun in that caliber.
That being said, I have 2 rifles and one revolver in .22 LR as well as that same revolver (with a cylinder change), a semi pistol, and a rifle in .22 Mag.
My most recent acquisitions are a .357 Mag revolver and a levergun in the same caliber. The .357 may be a "pistol round" but has sufficient mass from a handgun (and even more from a rifle) to be very effective.
:)

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have owned used and played with pistol caliber carbines and pistols in 22rf 9mm 357mag 44mag.

I hardly ever carry or carried both together.

I shot small game, deer and hogs with them.

Besides the 22rf the rest are really over powered for small game.

As far as deer size game they work ok.

I prefer bigger center fire rifles for general hunting purposes.

Last edited:

solus

Jim, let’s see, do you remember minor conversations regarding FNH’s Five-seveN polymer, 20+1, pistol and Since9’s commentary regarding FNH’s companion rifle the gravity fed P90 [uses same 5.7x28 ammo] concurrently used by many countries in the world. [please see wiki]

pricey, pair but quite pleasant to shoot and own.

Jimsouth

I have owned used and played with pistol caliber carbines and pistols in 22rf 9mm 357mag 44mag.

I hardly ever carry or carried both together.

I shot small game, deer and hogs with them.

Besides the 22rf the rest are really over powered for small game.

As far as deer size game they work ok.

I prefer bigger center fire rifles for general hunting purposes.

For squirrel ( tree rats ), rabbit, I use .22 subsonic & an ancient Springfield Model 15 single shot bolt action. Occasionally .22 short.

Jimsouth

Jim, let’s see, do you remember minor conversations regarding FNH’s Five-seveN polymer, 20+1, pistol and Since9’s commentary regarding FNH’s companion rifle the gravity fed P90 [uses same 5.7x28 ammo] concurrently used by many countries in the world. [please see wiki]

pricey, pair but quite pleasant to shoot and own.

I was never into/interested in any exotic calibers. .22 for small game, 45 70 or 30 06 for big game; 45 70 in heavy brush, 30 06 for long range. I did use my grandfather's Ithaca .12 gauge pigeon gun for distant shooting. Both barrels full choke. He actually had it custom made. In my area, "way back", pigeon matches were very popular, & big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ were often bet. Some trivia. The granddad cleaned his gun with kerosene. Myself, I have always used original Liquid Wrench.

Jimsouth

If you own a 50BMG rifle I agree you should also own a 50BMG pistol too

Kind of silly; but high velocity smaller caliber rifle ammunition would more often than not, lend itself to accurate pistol rounds. Is that necessary; I can't say; but probably true. Like the .218 Bee.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was never into/interested in any exotic calibers. .22 for small game, 45 70 or 30 06 for big game; 45 70 in heavy brush, 30 06 for long range.

I haven't been hunting in years. There are so many deer around here we often have to stop and wait for them to walk away before we continue walking too/from our cars. Why, when it rains and the waters are deep, they make for a nice bridge...

Jimsouth

I haven't been hunting in years. There are so many deer around here we often have to stop and wait for them to walk away before we continue walking too/from our cars. Why, when it rains and the waters are deep, they make for a nice bridge...

I no longer hunt big game; and the reason is, too many people out there who should not be handling firearms. I still ( occasionally ) go out for birds. I will say, in my area, during bad winters, many deer starve. When I do go for birds ( or rabbit ), I take the Jack Russel. One of the best dogs I have ever hunted with. If he goes into a brush pile, you just know something is coming out. I carry him in the game pocket of my hunting vest. Maybe 10 or 12 pounds. Pure adrenaline.

Last edited:

The Truth

You no longer hunt big game because there are people out there who "should not be handling firearms?" Interesting reasoning.

Last edited:

Jimsouth

You no longer hunt big game because there are people out there who "should not be handling firearms?" Interesting reasoning.

Not absolutely true, since I do hunt on private property; but only small game. A bird or two for me, & a bird for the farmer who graciously allows me to hunt on his land.

Jimsouth

• Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The reason men are silenced is not because they speak falsely, but because they speak the truth. This is because if men speak falsehoods, their own words can be used against them; while if they speak truly, there is nothing which can be used against them -- except force.

Last edited:

solus

• Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The reason men are silenced is not because they speak falsely, but because they speak the truth. This is because if men speak falsehoods, their own words can be used against them; while if they speak truly, there is nothing which can be used against them -- except force.

So Jim, you truly believe by quoting an august forum member completely out of context and, as is your practice, without any sort of viable cite, is going to boost your social standing on this forum ~ really?

Sorry mate, but it is just another example of how hard you are trying, still unsuccessfully I might add, to prove your bravado out here.

You go well and please enjoy your conversation with walkingwolf...

Last edited: