• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 and OC’ing while camping & fishing on FL state park?

Glock19Gen4

I’m 18, I legally posses a handgun. I will be going on a camping trip in a Florida state park, I will be alone and I would like to have my sidearm on me for self defense from wildlife/crazies if necessary. Obviously I can’t conceal carry but according to 790.25 I should be able to OC the whole trip as I will be camping in a tent.

My question is, this statute obviously states that you can OC while going to and from and while engaging in camping,fishing or hunting but does it still apply to an 18 year old? From what I understand if I can legally possess the gun I would be able to OC under 790.25. Just want to cross confirm before I go out and get a holster this weekend.

Thanks.

Glock19Gen4

It appears so, but Florida is controlled by Border Patrol. Under federal law, to posses a handgun you must be 21.

Say what?

Maybe the joke went over my head... I will be camping on state grounds so what does border patrol have to do with that? I’ll be in Northwest FL too lol

I definitely can legally possess a firearm, I was even able to buy said handgun in a private sale. I cannot obviously buy any gun under FL’s current laws from a dealer licensed by either the state nor the fed.

There’s nothing prohibiting an 18 year old from possessing an otherwise legal firearm under federal and state law. So, legally speaking at 18 I am an adult I should be able you OC under 790.25(h). Am I missing something?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Say what?

Maybe the joke went over my head... I will be camping on state grounds so what does border patrol have to do with that? I’ll be in Northwest FL too lol

I definitely can legally possess a firearm, I was even able to buy said handgun in a private sale. I cannot obviously buy any gun under FL’s current laws from a dealer licensed by either the state nor the fed.

There’s nothing prohibiting an 18 year old from possessing an otherwise legal firearm under federal and state law. So, legally speaking at 18 I am an adult I should be able you OC under 790.25(h). Am I missing something?
I'll stand corrected. You can possess a handgun at 18.

OC4me

If you want an extra layer of legal protection, and you have a pistol that meets Florida's somewhat unique antique firearm definition, then that would be an option as well since antique firearms seem to be exempted from the open carry ban/concealed weapons permit requirements altogether. Read up on Florida law!

Just my two cents worth as a former Florida resident who was once well versed on the subject. Things may have changed in the interim.

Florida LEOs are not always experts on the law with respect to carry and knowledge is your best friend if you choose to go the open carry route.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I’m 18, I legally posses a handgun. I will be going on a camping trip in a Florida state park, I will be alone and I would like to have my sidearm on me for self defense from wildlife/crazies if necessary. Obviously I can’t conceal carry but according to 790.25 I should be able to OC the whole trip as I will be camping in a tent.

My question is, this statute obviously states that you can OC while going to and from and while engaging in camping,fishing or hunting but does it still apply to an 18 year old? From what I understand if I can legally possess the gun I would be able to OC under 790.25. Just want to cross confirm before I go out and get a holster this weekend.

Thanks.
You may also want to get some additional info/opinions from these people: https://www.floridacarry.org/

(In addition to trying to get the law changed, they've done multiple OC fishing events)