• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Person from Illinois able to open carry in Kentucky

wjs81866

I was looking over the Kentucky State Police site, other sites and reading the white paper as well as looking over all the other information for concealed carry and open carry info. for Kentucky. I will be traveling to Kentucky in November and want to make sure I'm up to date on all the laws. One thing that I couldn't lock down was open carry by someone from Illinois. Even if I don't open carry I would still like to know. I read the paragraph below and wasn't clear if it was outdated info for concealed carry or if it was actually meant for open carry currently for the states listed?

"Holders of permits from other states may also carry in Kentucky, so long as
reciprocity is recognized. At the current time, according to the Kentucky State
Police (which is legally obligated to maintain the list), the following state permits
are NOT recognized by Kentucky: California, Connecticut, District of Columbia,
Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New
York, Oregon, Washington and the territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa and
the Virgin Islands. (Note, this list is subject to change and available on the KSP
website.)"

What this paragraph doesn't clarify is if this is 1) Referring to concealed carry, 2) Open carry 3) Or just out dated all together?

There is no open carry in Illinois, Illinois is a shall issue state, Illinois issues separate non-resident permits. Illinois does not recognize any other states permits for concealed carry.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

gutshot II

I was looking over the Kentucky State Police site, other sites and reading the white paper as well as looking over all the other information for concealed carry and open carry info. for Kentucky. I will be traveling to Kentucky in November and want to make sure I'm up to date on all the laws. One thing that I couldn't lock down was open carry by someone from Illinois. Even if I don't open carry I would still like to know. I read the paragraph below and wasn't clear if it was outdated info for concealed carry or if it was actually meant for open carry currently for the states listed?

"Holders of permits from other states may also carry in Kentucky, so long as
reciprocity is recognized. At the current time, according to the Kentucky State
Police (which is legally obligated to maintain the list), the following state permits
are NOT recognized by Kentucky: California, Connecticut, District of Columbia,
Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New
York, Oregon, Washington and the territories of Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa and
the Virgin Islands. (Note, this list is subject to change and available on the KSP
website.)"

What this paragraph doesn't clarify is if this is 1) Referring to concealed carry, 2) Open carry 3) Or just out dated all together?

There is no open carry in Illinois, Illinois is a shall issue state, Illinois issues separate non-resident permits. Illinois does not recognize any other states permits for concealed carry.

Thanks,
Bill

I'd really like to have a link to the website that furnished you with that information. It is almost 100% incorrect. The Commonwealth of Ky. recognizes all valid permits from any state, be they called "licenses" or "permits", for in state residents or out of staters, no matter if they are called "concealed carry permits" or "license to carry". All of them are accepted in Ky. The Ky. state law concerning concealed carry licenses is KRS 237.110 and that statute can be seen here:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=47039

The subsection of that statute that deals with recognition of out of state licenses is subsection (20). Here is what that subsection says:

(20) (a) A person who is not a resident of Kentucky and who has a valid license issued by another state of the United States to carry a concealed deadly weapon in that state may, subject to provisions of Kentucky law, carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky, and his or her license shall be considered as valid in Kentucky.

No license or permit of any kind is needed to open carry in Ky. There is no statute saying open carry is illegal therefore it is legal. Open carry has been legal in Ky. since statehood in 1792. It is protected by our state constitution. If you can legally own a gun, you can carry it openly. Trusting any information on the internet with an opinion of the legality of a serious issue, like the carrying of firearms is very risky. Go straight to the statutes yourself. Then you will know what the law is. Don't take any advice from anyone on the internet, including me. You could lose your freedom, your gun rights and lots of money.