Thread: Non-Resident Concealed Carry in Vehicle

Non-Resident Concealed Carry in Vehicle

According to 430 ILCS 66/40 "nothing in this act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle"

If i have my firearm concealed in a holster on my hip while in my car, and a law enforcement officer asks that I exit the vehicle will I be in violation of this act since I am no longer in my vehicle?

(430 ILCS 66/40) Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...asp?ActID=3497

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2) - Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.

(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
    (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...7&ChapterID=39
    It is Illinois and I would not take the specific language of these two Acts at face value. Southern Illinois is not Cook County or Springfield.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Roadmaster - pay particular attention to the B-9 section
    (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
    (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    and don't go anywhere close to C(r)ook County (Chicago) unless you want to have an "extended stay".
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - Oliver Wendell Holmes