• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worth watching again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"The Crossing is a 2000 historical TV film about George Washington crossing the Delaware River and the Battle of Trenton, directed by Robert Harmon. Based on the novel of the same name by Howard Fast, it stars Jeff Daniels as George Washington. Also appearing in the film are Roger Rees as Hugh Mercer, Sebastian Roche as John Glover and Steven McCarthy as Alexander Hamilton."

"The film opens with the retreat of the Continental Army across New Jersey during the American Revolutionary War, after repeated losses and defeats during the campaign of 1776."

"After the army narrowly escapes across the river to the Pennsylvania shore, Washington meets with his officers. In the past six months, they have lost New York City and been chased through New Jersey by the British, and 90% of their troops have either been killed or taken prisoner, or have deserted..."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The 300.

"In 480 B.C. a state of war exists between Persia, led by King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), and Greece. At the Battle of Thermopylae, Leonidas (Gerard Butler), king of the Greek city state of Sparta, leads his badly outnumbered warriors against the massive Persian army. Though certain death awaits the Spartans, their sacrifice inspires all of Greece to unite against their common enemy."

What are your favorites and why?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I caught The Crossing a decade ago, either on Netflix or RedBox. Subtle, but compelling! I thoroughly enjoyed the conflict in the morning with the Hessians.

As for 300... "WE ARE SPARTA!"

Following that momentous event, I felt like the film sort of went downhill. 300 Sparta the real story 480 B.C. provides an short but interesting academic (i.e. real) analysis of the battle.

I enjoyed Glory (1989). I didn't see it until 2008, when I'd bought it from a $5 bin at Walmart, but when I did, I realized I'd missed a rather good movie! I'm going to have to pull that one out of the box and set it aside for a re-run!

Same goes for Gettysburg(1993). It was required viewing at one of my PME* schools, meaning we analyzed it to death. But like Twelve O'Clock High (1949), which was required viewing at another PME school, one can actually sit back and enjoy it after a decade has allowed the dust to settle.

*Professional Military Education (PME) covers a wide range of activities. In one sense it refers to a plethora of training, continuing education, and other activities designed to provide development to members of the military at various points in their career and to prepare them for the next level of responsibilities.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Same goes for Gettysburg(1993). It was required viewing at one of my PME* schools, meaning we analyzed it to death. But like Twelve O'Clock High (1949), which was required viewing at another PME school, one can actually sit back and enjoy it after a decade has allowed the dust to settle.
Definitely must dust these off along with "God Is My Copilot" - overage fighter pilot joins Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault and Flying Tigers.

Last edited: