• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - police were searching bags

solus

CoL, et al., any earthly idea what they were searching bags for? Molotov cocktails? Thompson machine guns? And the absurdity on items the nice LEs feel are inappropriate is endless in my humble opinion.

Was everyone physically frisked & wanded or walk through metal detectors?

But CoL of greater concern is why in this period of our nation’s current super political correctness era where they want statutes of long by gone individuals torn down would any city quote, ...mark the anniversity of...the white supremacist...unquote, whatever?

Either side could publicity state: “see our point was made and the city is celebrating our win for our cause!”

Any recourse after the fact or for future consideration, what citizens do if they encounter this type of LE activity?

Last edited:

2a4all

OC for ME

Are not warrants specific to person, place, time, with things to be searched for listed in the warrant? Are not general warrants unlawful?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Can somebody please tell me how the police have the authority to search bags to enter a public place?

Heavy security as Charlottesville anniversary weekend opens
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/activists-rally-against-hate-on-charlottesville-anniversary

No can do. It's clearly a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment.

What law allows this in Virginia or for any state?

Certainly not "the supreme Law of the Land" i.e. Article VI and the Fourth Amendment in the United States Constitution.

Thus, the only laws that "allow this in Virginia or for any state" are those which are un-Constitutional, those which violate both the spirit and intent of our nation's Constitution, to which Virginia and all 50 states agreed to abide by before they were admitted to the Union.

Seeing as how state courts, federal courts and even the U.S. Supreme Court has heard countless cases involving overbearing state laws, and has struck down many of those laws, this seems like a terrific opportunity for someone to challenge Virginia's grossly unconstitutional § 19.2-59. Search without warrant prohibited; when search without warrant lawful. Indeed, the law states, "except by virtue of and under a warrant issued by a proper officer." Sorry, but that's not what our Constitution says. It says, "Judge," and then goes on to add very restrictive conditions under which a judge can issue a warrant.

But even 19-2-59 states: "Any officer or person violating the provisions of this section shall be liable to any person aggrieved thereby in both compensatory and punitive damages. Any officer found guilty of a second offense under this section shall, upon conviction thereof, immediately forfeit his office."

Thus, get the "proper officer" phrase declared un-Constitutional, and you'll be able to use 19-2-59 to hold any law enforcement officer in Virginia liable for compensatory and punitive damages, not to mention their jobs.