• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"So why do you think you need TWO extra magazines?"

since9

Campaign Veteran
The other day while at the grocery store, a kind gentleman about 60 years of age struck up a conversation while waiting in line. He was very pleasant about approaching me, asking me if he may ask a question. I was happy to oblige, and the conversation went something like this:

Man: Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. It's simple, really. I couldn't help but notice that you already have a spare magazine in a pouch on your holster, yet are carrying two more magazines on the other side. I'm just curious as to why you're carry two extra magazines?

Me: So, three extra magazines, total.

Man: Yes! Why so many?

Me: Well, these two (indicating the magazines on the left) keep me from leaning too far to the right...

After the chuckles died down, I relayed to him my first and as of today only time I ever actually needed a firearm. It was four of them and one of me armed with six rounds in a .380 ACP. If the bad guys had not backed down, things would not have turned out for me very well at all!

Man: How so?

Me: You mean six rounds for four bad guys?

Man: Yes.

Me: Standard military firing protocol is 2+1: 2 aimed at center body mass and 1 aimed at the head. So, that might have taken care of two of them, but the other two would have killed me. Ever since then, I've always carried enough to stop a gang of seven.

Man: Seven...

Me: Yes.

Man: But you have one magazine in the gun, right?

Man: So that one plus the other one on your holster are enough, right?

Me: If there's only seven, yes.

Man: You expect more?

Me: You never know what kind of situation you're going to encounter. If I could comfortably carry a thousand rounds, I would. As it is, these two on the left...

Man: ...balance out what's on the right.

If was clear he wasn't buying it, so I asked him a question:

Me: Well, how many rounds do cops carry?

Man: A lot, but they never know what they're going to encounter.

I waited for the clue bird to land on his shoulder.

Man: I see.

And he did. :)

KBCraig

"So why do you need more than two rounds? A real man like Barney Fife could get the job done with just one, and he kept it in his pocket!"

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
"So why do you need more than two rounds? A real man like Barney Fife could get the job done with just one, and he kept it in his pocket!"

Good one!

Gun fighting rule number 3 (or 4) states that there is no such thing as having too much ammo in a gun fight.

There's a well-known saying in the aviation community: "The only time an aircraft has too much fuel on board is when it is on fire."

It's right up there with, "There's nothing more useless than the runway behind you." I first heard that one when I asked my IP (instructor Pilot) about doing a mid-field takeoff. After all, we had a 5,000 foot runway and the aircraft only need about 1,300 feet to take off and clear a 50' obstacle. That's when he said, "There's nothing more useless than the runway behind you." He explained: "In this aircraft, you can take off, clear a 50' obstacle, lose an engine, and safely land on a 5,000 foot runway, but not if you're stupid enough to begin your takeoff roll with half of it behind you. Use the entire length of the runway. That's what it's for."

In the same vein, let's make history with some lines about ammunition that parallel famous sayings in aviation:

There's nothing more useless than the rounds you left at home.

The only time you're carrying too many rounds is when you can no longer move.

Avoid, Remove, Take Cover, Engage.

Truly superior marksman are those who use their superior judgement to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior marksmanship.

Carrying a firearm is years of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror.

Shoot until the perpetrator stops moving.

A firearm works just fine with too much ammunition but it doesn't work at all with too little.

Without full capacity magazines, lawfully armed citizens become victims.

Regarding magazine sizes: Lots is good, more is better, and too much is just enough.

Last edited:

Jimsouth

Unless you're pinned down in some sort of firefight, little reason for more than one extra mag.

Jimsouth

Having too much ammo can give you a sore back.

Having too little ammo can give you a life sentence six feet underground.

I'll take the sore back.

I've reached the age where the Firestar .45 is getting heavy; even with he padded shoulder holster. Surprisingly heavy for such a small .45. Only problem I encountered was, the grip a bit short; so an extended mag worked well ( 7 round ). I'm moving on to one of the Ruger .327 revolvers.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Unless you're pinned down in some sort of firefight, little reason for more than one extra mag.

The vast majority of the time, I carry 16+1 in the gun and a spare 16-round mag in a pouch on the holster.

On occasions where the threat is higher, I add two magazines to a two-magazine pouch on the other side.

65 rounds in all.

Jimsouth

I've reached the age where the Firestar .45 is getting heavy; even with he padded shoulder holster. Surprisingly heavy for such a small .45. Only problem I encountered was, the grip a bit short; so an extended mag worked well ( 7 round ). I'm moving on to one of the Ruger .327 revolvers.

In fact, the CA Bulldog .44 is actually lighter than the Ruger. Also more muscle.

Jimsouth

The vast majority of the time, I carry 16+1 in the gun and a spare 16-round mag in a pouch on the holster.

On occasions where the threat is higher, I add two magazines to a two-magazine pouch on the other side.

65 rounds in all.[/QUOTE
Black Hills shoulder holster for my Firestar .45. A 7 round extended mag in the pistol, and two 6 round mags on the right side of the rig. So, 19 rounds; and if I can't hit something with 19 rounds, I should not be carrying the gun.