• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tech shutting down non-liberal information and viewpoints

HP995

Big story at Drudge lately: Apple versus Alex Jones.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/enterta...ther-tech-companies-delete-content-alex-jones

If that doesn't bother you because you don't like Alex Jones (or because it's not government - that is if you ignore the nice GovTech collaboration during Obama years) you don't understand what is taking place here and how it can impact you.

You need to give this trend a think, what this means for your future, including gun rights. Maybe including this forum. The power to limit info is powerful indeed.

It's not just about Mr. Raspy, this has been ongoing and affects a wide variety of different censored folks.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...pends-libertarian-accounts-including-ron-paul

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018...zabeth-hengs-video-ad-about-communist-crimes/

And for those who believe any private company censorship is fine because it's NOTGUV, even when the companies have had high-level collab with Govt and Political Party, even when they have actual near-monopoly power over online speech with real power to limit information and services, OK, I'll see you that and raise you one. Because it'll get officially "Gov'd" as soon as they get a chance. And then it'll be too late for you to do anything about if you totally ignore this trend now:

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/31/democrats-tech-policy-plans-leaked

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...g-sites-like-infowars-democratic-senator-says

They are sneaking this in as "Plan C" because Trump (non-liberals) shouldn't have won the election and the FBI Plan B didn't go well enough. They had big plans that were disrupted and they are desperate now. Everyone should fear censorship, including liberals. There used to be some agreement between people on a few points and once upon a time people might vote different but agree on some things. Nowadays, maybe not!

This is unfortunate and I don't want to be anti-anyone on this, but I decided to title the thread accurately because it's the real situation and that's entirely of their own choice and making. The plan is to shut everything down they don't agree with by any means, and yes, that means shutting you up too and taking your guns. And precisely because they noticed a big gov/private distinction in conservative thinking, "only government can censor or violate rights" - so they will intentionally blur the lines between government and private and politics to gain the advantage of surprise attack, as I explained on another thread. Be warned.

OC for ME

No Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Snapchat, ect.... don't like them, don't use them. My money don't go to them because I am not seeing the adds. User number decline, add numbers decline, stock price declines, liberal BS declines and Alex Jones will be back on all those content providers.

If you rely upon those content providers to generate/influence/define your world view then you are the problem, not the content provider.

HP995

I won't belabor the point but they are not going to play by your rules. That's the whole point. They have plenty of money and are a step ahead of you. It's easy to avoid a one-site company like FB, but if you use a mobile phone Google or Apple are making $ that way and probably other ways, they are diversified. I don't accept their ads either, similar to you but the two of us are not stopping them. How about your fam, do they all follow the same practices that you do? Even if you manage to keep those co's totally out of your pockets, which I doubt, it won't hurt them any unless there's a very big movement against them (hint hint) which is precisely why people are spreading the word and sounding the alarm. Update your tactics a little or you'll lose this one and it's gonna hurt.

solus

HP995, sorry this gentleman is like OC for me, do not play on social media, nor truth be told, do not have a bloody clue who Alex Jones et al., is or for that matter what the devil you are talking about, even with your ‘accurately titled headline’ of this thread.

Therefore, I must articulate a great big, H U H?

BTW, HP the newspeek cites you referenced in your inital seem to provide such credible testimony for me, which is now eliciting the highest anxiety level I have ever experienced in my life that it is possibly I have sought assistance to the point I have had the DC social worker declare I am suffering from her newly coined disorder...’who gives a S-it’ disorder!’

Mind you, this just a humble observation...

HP995

Solus, the bigger question is how a lack of knowledge or understanding or care (that's by your account, not mine) could be considered a virtue. That's not really even self-complimentary, is it? Am I supposed to somehow feel bad that you don't get it or don't care? No way! But don't fear understanding. Much real information can be gained in around the same amount time it takes to compose an attempted insult.

The issue here is keeping that information available. Or even the attempted insults. Not just one sided, not just what one political party convinces tech companies and other publishers (and finally government) to allow. I'm not your biggest fan (I'm not your biggest critic either) but I think you should be able to say it, and other people should be able to see it.

It doesn't have to be "social" media. Maybe that's the hangup for you? You thought this was limited to a couple of online liberal hangouts? (Although don't forget you are one of the biggest social media users around, see your post count here. This is social media too. OC4Me is at it too.) But don't be misled; regular web pages are not immune to this. They can be censored too. That's easy to read about or to simply observe in action.

since9

Campaign Veteran
They are sneaking this in as "Plan C" because Trump (non-liberals) shouldn't have won the election and the FBI Plan B didn't go well enough. They had big plans that were disrupted and they are desperate now. Everyone should fear censorship, including liberals. There used to be some agreement between people on a few points and once upon a time people might vote different but agree on some things. Nowadays, maybe not!

This is unfortunate and I don't want to be anti-anyone on this, but I decided to title the thread accurately because it's the real situation and that's entirely of their own choice and making. The plan is to shut everything down they don't agree with by any means, and yes, that means shutting you up too and taking your guns. And precisely because they noticed a big gov/private distinction in conservative thinking, "only government can censor or violate rights" - so they will intentionally blur the lines between government and private and politics to gain the advantage of surprise attack, as I explained on another thread. Be warned.

Looks like Metropolis (1927 film) got it right. Big business takes over everything.

KBCraig

Alex Jones is entitled to shout from the soapbox all he wants... he just has to bring his own soapbox, instead of using someone else's.

HP995

Solus, I'm amused that first you insult yourself while attempting to insult someone else, then disagree with yourself while attempting to disagree with someone else. To put a fresh turn on an old saying: First agree with yourself, then disagree with others to your heart's content! :)

First you said you "do not have a bloody clue who Alex Jones et al., is"

Later you said "not listening to the entertainment antics of Rush, Hannity, Cohen antics, or this this Jones bloke's BS!"

But if you don't know who he is, why mention Rush or Hannity? How would you know to put him together with them in a category? How do you know his product is "BS" if you've never been exposed to either his content or news about him? You seem to know what business he is in and what he does. In fact, you've even formed a strong opinion about his work - without "having a bloody clue" about him? Therefore it looks very likely that you know who he is!

HP995

It's hard to argue with someone who is busy disagreeing with himself. For example, it becomes less clear whether "you" is intended to mean me or the other instance of yourself. I think nobody else mentioned Rush before you did. But the One Man Debate can be fun to watch. If you also do one-man tennis or fisticuffs, I wanna see! :)

You're still missing an important point or two that I will be happy to share with you, but I'll wait until the Man vs Self match is settled first, no rush. This issue will be around for a while.

solus

It's hard to argue with someone who is busy disagreeing with himself. For example, it becomes less clear whether "you" is intended to mean me or the other instance of yourself. I think nobody else mentioned Rush before you did. But the One Man Debate can be fun to watch. If you also do one-man tennis or fisticuffs, I wanna see! :)

You're still missing an important point or two that I will be happy to share with you, but I'll wait until the Man vs Self match is settled first, no rush. This issue will be around for a while.

HP, go well.

HP995

Donald J. Trump
‏@realDonaldTrump

Social Media Giants are silencing millions of people. Can’t do this even if it means we must continue to hear Fake News like CNN, whose ratings have suffered gravely. People have to figure out what is real, and what is not, without censorship!
4:34 AM - 24 Aug 2018

He understands this issue! And is fighting on our behalf. Excellent!

(He understands that you can't have a political future and win elections if no one can access info about your cause.)

Millions - yes. He gets it. The little people are affected by this too, more so than the publishers. Anyone not leaning Left will quickly find their content demoted or blocked. Of course, the NPR and NYT fans are totally safe. :)

Not sure whether he leaves out Google and some others (not Social Media) from lack of info or just to be terse. Through web searches, news collection, ad delivery, etc., tech censorship of conservatives is already impacting the entire WWW. They demote regular web sites routinely, and they do have the ability to take them offline completely although that is still rare. It's not just a Social Media issue, and you'll notice that "Social Media" is not in the title of this thread. Yep, that's why. :idea: