• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preemption violations in Elizabethtown

gutshot II

A KC3 member found a "NO GUNS" sign on a city-owned building in Elizabethtown. A picture of that sign can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/om85es820bkb5cg/33600777_1708974412473622_5247615420487172096_n%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

After digging a little deeper he found out that city employees were being told they were not allowed to carry firearms at work. He brought these issues to KC3 board members and a complaint was lodged with the mayor of E-town. E-town does not have a "No Concealed Weapons" Ordinance.

The issue of the sign was settled very quickly and the sign was removed, however, it was soon discovered that the City of E-town had a written policy that prohibited employees from possessing firearms while at work or in city-owned vehicles. After several email exchanges and phone calls between KC3 board members and city official, the city agreed to amend their employee policy manual.

Without discussing the new policy with KC3, the E-town City Council passed a new, amended weapons policy. You can see this new policy here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgt7j8x0rjpsxse/E-town%20new%20policy%20%285%29.pdf?dl=0

The violations are in the third paragraph on the first page and then item "p" on the third page.

The new policy is no better than the old and the city has refused to make any further changes. This issue has been referred to KC3's attorney and will, most likely, result in a lawsuit. I'll let you know when that lawsuit has actually been filed.

garyh9900

The citizens of this state are lucky to have someone like Gutshot and the KC3 organization to battle with the government entities of this state who can't fathom that they don't have the right to regulate the possession of firearms as they see fit.

gutshot II

The citizens of this state are lucky to have someone like Gutshot and the KC3 organization to battle with the government entities of this state who can't fathom that they don't have the right to regulate the possession of firearms as they see fit.

Very kind words, garyh9900. Thank you. It is really the KC3 members and other citizens that find and bring these violations to the board's attention that deserve the credit. Without them and the information they bring, we would be deaf, dumb and blind.

It is good to hear from you again. The Ky. subforum has been very quiet lately and I was beginning to believe no one was reading OCDO anymore.

Last edited:

garyh9900

Very kind words, garyh9900. Thank you. It is really the KC3 members and other citizens that find and bring these violations to the board's attention that deserve the credit. Without them and the information they bring, we would be deaf, dumb and blind.

It is good to hear from you again. The Ky. subforum has been very quiet lately and I was beginning to believe no one was reading OCDO anymore.
I check it almost everyday. I've been unable to access my account for sometime after I changed devices with the stored password to both this forum and my email I used to sign up. But I went through the arduous process of getting access to my email back, so after that I was able to reset my password for this forum.

MrFive7

Thank you Gutshot. I'll be expressing my concerns to the Mayor as well.

I'm sure a lawsuit will have a greater impact, but it can't hurt to let those in power know the citizens will not stand for these violations.

Keep up the good work. Thank you for all you do.

gutshot II

Thank you Gutshot. I'll be expressing my concerns to the Mayor as well.

I'm sure a lawsuit will have a greater impact, but it can't hurt to let those in power know the citizens will not stand for these violations.

Keep up the good work. Thank you for all you do.

Thanks for your efforts in support of KC3. I agree that it is important for the citizens to speak up. It is their tax money that will be expended in any lawsuit. KC3 is viewed as a small group of malcontents by many local government officials. It is important to point out that the voters want their government to obey the law, too. It is not unusual for local issues like this to go unnoticed by the residents. Many issues with city government come and go without much notice in a place like E-town. If you do speak to the mayor, just remember that our lawsuit has not been filed yet. She might not know what you are talking about and it may come as a surprise to her.