• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rural county seeks to be first in Virginia to arm teachers

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Despite strong criticism from the state capitol, a six-hour drive to the east, the Lee County School Board has voted to become Virginia's first county to arm their teachers and staff. Their next step is to ask a judge to exempt them from state law."

"Hines said 37 teachers and staff members submitted applications volunteering to carry guns in school after they discussed the plan in June. Since then, Hines said, many other people have asked him, "What do I need to do to apply?""

http://www.nbc12.com/story/38692599/rural-county-seeks-to-be-first-in-virginia-to-arm-teachers

Tosta Dojen

Today Attorney General Mark Herring issued an opinion declaring that a special conservator of the peace may not lawfully carry at a school. Herring further opined that it would be unlawful for the Department of Criminal Justice Services to register a special conservator who intends to exercise jurisdiction over school grounds, nixing Lee County's plan quite thoroughly.

The issuance of a temporary registration to a SCOP for possession of a firearm on public school property would not comply with § 18.2-308.1 and exceeds the powers vested in DCJS. Therefore, it is my opinion that DCJS lacks authority to issue a temporary or valid registration to an armed SCOP whose geographical jurisdiction includes public school grounds.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Today Attorney General Mark Herring issued an opinion declaring that a special conservator of the peace may not lawfully carry at a school. Herring further opined that it would be unlawful for the Department of Criminal Justice Services to register a special conservator who intends to exercise jurisdiction over school grounds, nixing Lee County's plan quite thoroughly.
Mark Herring wouldn't have an agenda would he? (sarcasm)

http://www.nbc12.com/story/38981304/virginia-attorney-general-says-arming-teachers-is-unlawful

L
ives not lost creates no perceived need to protect.

Last edited:

OC4me

"Rural county seeks to be first in Virginia to allow teachers to (gasp) exercise Constitutional Rights"

I corrected the title.

Sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out!

The Wolfhound

Mark Herring is what he is

This is an abundantly clear reason why we must get out and vote against political hacks when ever they run. Herring quotes the law about school staff then closes the "loophole" exception by executive fiat. TYRANY! Our forefathers would recognize this and deservedly apply tar and feathers as a correction.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is an abundantly clear reason why we must get out and vote against political hacks when ever they run. Herring quotes the law about school staff then closes the "loophole" exception by executive fiat. TYRANY! Our forefathers would recognize this and deservedly apply tar and feathers as a correction.

Also while sitting on a triangular plank while on a very bumpy road.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Someone bought the following domain: http://www.markherringisatyrant.com