• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sigh - PVC with Sacha Baron Cohen

FBrinson

It is worse than I thought. This is so very embarrassing for VCDL. For the life of me I don't know how anyone could be fooled into thinking this character was legitimate. Ego, perhaps.
Link to article

[video=youtube;QkXeMoBPSDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkXeMoBPSDk[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When I was about 3 or 4 yo, a relative showed me what a gun (12 g shotgun?) could do to a thick rotten log.
Then I was permitted to shoot a .22 cal into a large glass jar filled with water.
The results of these made a definite impression on me.

i think it is better to have the means to self-defense than be a fish in a barrel, floating belly up the next day.

I have no fear of guns and never looked back. I continue to support the right of others to use these tools as they were designed to be used by good people.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
When I was about 3 or 4 yo, a relative showed me what a gun (12 g shotgun?) could do to a thick rotten log.
Then I was permitted to shoot a .22 cal into a large glass jar filled with water.
The results of these made a definite impression on me.

i think it is better to have the means to self-defense than be a fish in a barrel, floating belly up the next day.

I have no fear of guns and never looked back. I continue to support the right of others to use these tools as they were designed to be used by good people.
You have such a good heart.

The Truth

This is a pathetic representation of Virginia Gun Owners and Van Cleave should step down as President of VCDL. This is egregious. Almost unbelievable. I can't even properly articulate how much of an embarrassment this is to all gun owners. He will never live this down, and VCDL will never be taken seriously as long as Philip is at the helm of the organization.

Sigh...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is a pathetic representation of Virginia Gun Owners and Van Cleave should step down as President of VCDL. This is egregious. Almost unbelievable. I can't even properly articulate how much of an embarrassment this is to all gun owners. He will never live this down, and VCDL will never be taken seriously as long as Philip is at the helm of the organization.

Sigh...
I think you have completely misjudged what transpired and how it was cast by the producers. PVC should avoid doing comedy?

"Sacha Baron Cohen’s Newest Character Has Arrived, and He’s Here to Mock America. ... With the curious case of Sacha Baron Cohen’s new comedy series for Showtime growing more mysterious each day."
http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/showtime-reveals-character-for-sacha-baron-cohens-new-show.html

Last edited:

The Truth

I'm not seeing how I've misjudged. Everyone involved seemed oblivious, especially Philip. The talk around the local gun community echoes my sentiment. The video was completely inappropriate, and made VCDL look insane and ridiculous.

OC for ME

I think you have completely misjudged what transpired and how it was cast by the producers. PVC should avoid doing comedy? ...
Perhaps...then again, having a gun rights nut in a anti-gun commercial around voting day could come in handy...no?

When you don't control the editing process...

scouser

to put it bluntly, that video is a complete F*** UP. Why on Earth would anyone allow themselves to be portrayed the way that PVC was?

Please don't tell me it was ".. the way it was edited", you can't edit video to show someone singing a stupid song UNLESS THEY SANG THE STUPID SONG

It's a complete facepalm to think that at no point of making this video did he not think to himself "WTF is this?" At no point did he say "I'm not going to do this, it's stupid"? The guy doesn't even sound like an Israeli, he sounds like a tosser from East London who manages to slip a bit of a Welsh accent into his voice when pretending he's from somewhere else

The Truth

Grapeshot, you are aware that the only people aware that it was a "comedy series" are SBC himself and the producers? This was not intentionally done for comedy. PVC was absolutely trolled into oblivion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot, you are aware that the only people aware that it was a "comedy series" are SBC himself and the producers? This was not intentionally done for comedy. PVC was absolutely trolled into oblivion.

Oh but it was intentional comedy and known as such from the beginning.

You may not like the way PVC parts his hair, but don't play him for a fool.

Last edited:

The Truth

I find it interesting Philip's response to it all then, considering he knew all along. It sure doesn't sound like it based on his statements. Also, none of the other politicians or figureheads were aware. Joe Walsh himself even admitted that Sacha Baron Cohen got him good. So why would Philip know that it was fake but none of the other politicians knew?

If I'm wrong I will gladly eat crow. But it does not appear that way.

The Truth

From what I've read about the show, the whole premise is that the guests have no idea what's happening. If you've got proof to the contrary, Id love to hear it.

Furthermore, if PVC was aware, what on this green Earth was he thinking??!?! I honestly dont know what would be worse... to be duped or to go along with it anyway!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

Sigh...

^^^^This^^^^

Reading some of the comments on the VCDL FB group (before I was removed from the group) reading comments from EM’s and the inaction of the EM’s it’s impossible for me to understand. The left uses humor and humiliation tactics and they have everything they need with that video. I mean the VCDL by not removing PVC still asserts that he’s going to be an effective figure head of the organization! I can see those little anti edgelords now hollering at Phillip as he walks the halls of the GA: “Whatcha packing Phil, the puppy pistol or the uzicorn?”

VCDL has turned into a monolith and they are seemingly oblivious to the perception of the organization. I understand the rules of this forum, but with that said many, many people other than myself recognize that the VCDL has NOT helped the carry movement by their action/inaction.

I sounded the alarm with the rifle open carriers in Starbucks and Target. I sounded the alarm with carrying AR-type, slung pistols in the GA for VCDL’s Lobby Day, very few if any listened and now I’m watching a once relevant organization destroy itself, because of some kind of ring of honor principle that the rest of the world looks at as a mental illness.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I have sounded the alarm to the dangers of stabbing gun owners in the back, seems my alarms are mostly unheeded.

[video=youtube;WzdxeBTm6gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdxeBTm6gk[/video]

Last edited:

The Truth

I have sounded the alarm to the dangers of stabbing gun owners in the back, seems my alarms are mostly unheeded.

[video=youtube;WzdxeBTm6gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdxeBTm6gk[/video]

You made reference to time and place in the other PVC thread. Perhaps you've underestimated the gravity of the time and place in which this has happened.

From a PR standpoint, I'm still left scratching my head. The only way to get ahead in this game, and especially in this state, is to gain understanding from the other side. This pretty much destroys any semblance of progress in that realm.

I've pretty much been MIA on this forum for what, over a year? When have I ever been one to overreact or cause a fuss when it's unnecessary to the cause? There's a reason I came back here for this.

As an aside, I also wanted to check and see if anyone had taken out the trash yet. Glad to see the green box is empty, for the most part.

WalkingWolf

PVC was a victim of a con job, but the level does not rise to doing the bidding of the anti gun media. Who was duped more? PVC, or those doing EXACTLY what they were expected to do?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
[QUOTE=The Truth;2233109]--snipped--

From a PR standpoint, I'm still left scratching my head. The only way to get ahead in this game, and especially in this state, is togain understanding from the other side. This pretty much destroys any semblance of progress in that realm.

[/QUOTE]

:lol:..:lol:..Laughed until my sides hurt.

The Truth

PVC was a victim of a con job, but the level does not rise to doing the bidding of the anti gun media. Who was duped more? PVC, or those doing EXACTLY what they were expected to do?

People wouldn't be trolled into anger had the very leader of the organization which is supposed to protect us seemingly betrayed us by providing endless, absurd material to the opposition on a silver platter.